Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a 650. I went to borrow a service manual from a friend and it turned out to be an owners manual. So now I have started this project without a reference. I am planning to purchase a service manual but for now if I can get the steering wheel off that will get me a little further along. I am assuming that there is a method to remove it in a way to not break the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Loosen the nut but let it on so it's flush the the shaft to protect the threads.

The. Get an air hammer or rivet gun and pound on it while using you knees to pry up on the wheel. Took me about five minutes to get mine of my 955 this way. It's also what the tech at he dealer said to do.

The service manual isn't any help. It just says remove steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loosen the nut but let it on so it's flush the the shaft to protect the threads.

The. Get an air hammer or rivet gun and pound on it while using you knees to pry up on the wheel. Took me about five minutes to get mine of my 955 this way. It's also what the tech at he dealer said to do.

Thank you very much!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
From a 650. I went to borrow a service manual from a friend and it turned out to be an owners manual. So now I have started this project without a reference. I am planning to purchase a service manual but for now if I can get the steering wheel off that will get me a little further along. I am assuming that there is a method to remove it in a way to not break the steering wheel.
Usually a standard steering wheel puller tool will do the trick. Did JD give you any threaded holes next to the main nut to attach the tool?
A picture would help.

Reactions: pcabe5 and Ray_PA

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
That was the problem on my 955. The wheel is all rubber and plastic by the hub. No place to attach the puller to.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Footy, I used J3 Driver's suggestion on our 650. Sort of need two people though.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
That kind of thing sets me off, I had the same deal working on a car one time, a Firebird. Problem with cruise control which was in the turn-signal lever and I couldn't figure out how to remove the lever. Got a service manual and looked it up and it said "remove lever". :banghead:

Turned out the whole lever was just a press fit and just had to be pulled out. Why they couldn't just say that... :nunu:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts