Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 4044M
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 25 acres that were cut prior to my purchase of the land. While most of the big stumps are still there, they are easy to locate and dig out. But the majority of the ground is now covered densely with 2-3” diameter pines.

Between my bucket and Woods mower, I can cut them down but I’m left with a plethora of short stumplets that I need to get out.

What would be the best method to get these out. The trail I’m currently working on is 1.6 miles long around the perimeter, so I can’t just dig these out. I’m trying to make it a smooth walking trail and something my grandson can ride on his atv.

At my disposal are my Deere 4044m, my neighbor’s Kubota MX2500(?), two backhoes, two brush hogs, a land plane, a small set of garden discs, a cultivator, a yard rake, a grapple, and a 4-in1 bucket.

Will some combination of these accomplish what I want to do? If so, how? If not, what do I need?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
The skid steer and mulcher is perfect for that. It will walk over 3" pine quickly. If you can't rent one, I'd suggest working on the larger stuff and let the smaller stuff rot. In a few months your box blade will be able to pop some of them out of the ground as the roots rot.

If you can't wait, the backhoe and/or the 4 n 1 will also pull them out. If you plan on using those, don't cut the stumps but leave as much as possible for leverage. It's going to be slow to get a mile and a half of stumps though.

Reactions: CoryB

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
with what you have would set up a machine with the backhoe on the back and the 4-1 on the front .....see what size you can pull with the 4 n1 and pull those...then use the backhoe around the ones you can't pull to loosen them up so you can pull them........if you have wet weather small trees always pull better in wet soils

i have a full size backhoe with a thumb i pull trees all the time ...shake the dirt off .....then pile them for burning...up to 10-12" obviously your equipment is smaller but so are your trees......also sometimes you can push a bit on a tree to loosen it up before pulling it but that works better with bigger trees that are stiffer

if you decide to use other equipment ....a mulcher like kbar posted is the easy way....or a mini-excavator works good too

1.6 miles will require patience and perseverance or bigger equipment :)

Sky Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
I’ve zero experience with brush hogs but would one work here if a guy was to go low and slow? Pine is a pretty soft wood anyhow…or would it destroy sheer pins?

Reactions: CoryB

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
I’ve zero experience with brush hogs but would one work here if a guy was to go low and slow? Pine is a pretty soft wood anyhow…or would it destroy sheer pins?
A few 3" stumps might be ok. 1.6 miles of them would likely burn out a slip clutch or break multiple shear pins. The other issue is a brush hog won't cut but so low and generally leaves splintered ends. Running an ATV over those is probably not ideal.

Reactions: keane and Kbar

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Forestry mulcher. That ones around 40k
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt

Plant Vegetation Road surface Grass Font
Set of teeth are around 600

Reactions: Guja0501 and rtgt

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Cat 299D2 but what is the front attachment? That looks like just what I need.
They work really well . . .A bit expensive and the skid steers usually have armored cabs.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
2005 3320 with FEL, 1978 AC 5020 FEL, 2000 Bobcat 763
152 Posts
Google tree puller. I have used a large one on a big skid steer and they are great. They are like a vice grip. You just run the stump or tree up in the V and close it. Pull up or if needed wiggle it back and forth and pull it out. I have a small one I bought for my SS that I paid less then $800 for if I remember correctly. I see they now also make them to attach to pallet forks. Using one on the front of a tractor might require a spotter but it should easily do the job.

·
Premium Member
13,934 Posts
A mulcher is the best (fastest) way to get them out.

I cut a lot of small stuff making my trails with loppers. I cut at or just below ground level.

Over time the soil compacts or erodes and you have a new 1" stumplet.....
Smile Font Electric blue Circle Symmetry

An alternative might be renting a small stump grinder.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Google tree puller. I have used a large one on a big skid steer and they are great. They are like a vice grip. You just run the stump or tree up in the V and close it. Pull up or if needed wiggle it back and forth and pull it out. I have a small one I bought for my SS that I paid less then $800 for if I remember correctly. I see they now also make them to attach to pallet forks. Using one on the front of a tractor might require a spotter but it should easily do the job.
I think you can also get them for the 3ph which normally has greater lift capacity. But backing up 1.6 miles might leave a few cricks in your neck, lol.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
What about thes Pirhana tooth bars everyone’s raving about? Wouldn’t that do the same thing as described above?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
What about thes Pirhana tooth bars everyone’s raving about? Wouldn’t that do the same thing as described above?
Don't know about the pirhrana...but a toothed bucket does wonders on small cedar trees that have a shallow root system...but not so good on hardwoods with tap roots

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
It depends on the stump. I've used mine very effectively on stuff but it helps if there is enough stump height to have a little leverage. Small stuff will just shear off which is good but larger stuff takes a bit more finesse. It's not the tooth bar that is an issue for me, it's loader lift and tractor traction.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Introducing….
Frankenstumppullersubsoiler!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Grass Garden tool Agriculture Grass family Landscape

Tire Plant Wheel Cloud Vehicle

Tire Plant Wheel Green Grass

Green Plant Automotive tire Tire Grass

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 4044M
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lots of good ideas here and I appreciate every one. Sadly I don’t know how to incorporate some of them.

This is a picture of what I’m up against - and this is one of the clearer areas where I’ve already cut some of it back.

Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Twig Trunk

Plant Sky Natural landscape Twig Landscape

Reactions: Guja0501 and Kbar

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well at least they're small enough to pull...but with that many I would rent a skid steer to knock them down and make burn piles. The stumps should come out fairly easy with a skid steer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.