Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We often get asked "must be cold, eh?".

You're damn right it is, and this is how we get through!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419198897.570764.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419199499.886411.jpg

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Liked your pictures., I can handle snow ,but the extended extreme cold temps , Nope not me.
But it is like anything else you that is what you are accustomed to ,you learn how to cope .

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I think it is all about what you are use to. I know at the start of winter I freez at 45*F. But by the end of winter when we get that first 36*f day and the sun is out I'll be out in a tee-shirt.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They look like potential customers, Doc.:laugh:
When I'm done with them, they will be...!!!!

Hahahahahahahahhaah....

It's a true community builder. Our university teams are gonna come practice here once, just for fun. We're gonna hold a 3 on 3 tourney. It'll be a good winter!!

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like there may be a client in the second picture, actually. Seems like the poor guy just tipped right over. :empathy3:
That's just an over-dramatic 3 year old with parents that allow it to continue.....

Good eye though!!!

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What's that orange thing pulling the rotary broom? :laugh:
That's a pumpkin. We can only sweep after midnight, cause before that it's a carriage......

It's not mine.... it comes from the South side of the highway - but I have to be honest, it's doing one hell of a job!!!...and it's saved me from buying a 2720, for now.

-J.

ps - I drove it last night.... Note the look on my face..... "What is this!!?? A tractor for ants??!!!" I bellowed!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419368959.195658.jpg

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
All in All still looks like everyone is having fun! Carry on:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All in All still looks like everyone is having fun! Carry on:lol:
Oh for sure.

Excuse to tractor, drink, and skate all in the same afternoon....

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in Saskatchewan now, just wishing, a lot of days, that I was still in Alberta.....

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I'm in Saskatchewan now, just wishing, a lot of days, that I was still in Alberta.....

Corb did a song about exactly that, but the title escapes me right now. Pretty sure it was on his Cabin Fever album.

Down here in Tennessee we never had anything freeze hard enough to even walk on, much less skate. We played roller hockey in parking lot 'rinks' with chain link fence 'boards'. I remember once when I was a little tyke, standing there waiting for the puck (rubber ball) to drop when I just tipped right clean over backwards. :laugh: Not my finest moment but hey...funny memory now. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
"Long Gone to Saskatchewan"....gonna put my boots n' my hat back on.... Adios, goodbye, farewell, so long....I'm long gone to Saskatchewan....

Don't feel bad, we have a special "upright on thin blades" gene that until recent times was only present north of the 49th. Recent inter-sport breeding programs have spread it south to select locales - Boston, North Dakota, and Venice Beach.

Well, not Venice beach, but you know what I'm saying.

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Ahh the good ol days of clearing the pond. Our pond dried up about 7 years ago and never came back even with decent snow and rain it dries out before winter.

I was raised in Moose Jaw so the landscape around that dug out looks like home, :drinks:.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahh the good ol days of clearing the pond. Our pond dried up about 7 years ago and never came back even with decent snow and rain it dries out before winter.

I was raised in Moose Jaw so the landscape around that dug out looks like home, :drinks:.
It's damn close!! Just east of White City on Hwy 48.

I've made it a blend of AB and SK.....

-J.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You Southerners....

It's October 15th and our new pond (built this summer with the 3005 and 790) has 3" of ice on it now. Should be able to spray some warm water on it soon (with a Hudson sprayer) to make it smooth enough to skate. Woo-Hoo. Grandkids are already playing pee-wee hockey now. Their parents are so busy haa haa. Now they know how we felt.
Last year I saw a larger JD (I think 4720R with a cab. soooo jealous) towing an ice house out on Harding lake. He had a nice auger on the tractor. I watched in amazement as he stopped, unhitched the ice house and cleared a spot, then he dug the holes with the auger on the back of the tractor and pulled the ice house over the holes. That's cheatin. We were out there with snowmobile, a pop up shelter and a little gas auger trying to get through 3 feet of ice (early in the year yet).
Life in the North is definitely different. An acquired taste (like Molson's ehh). I was supposed to go to Tampa later in the month for a class. I was dreading going somewhere warm. Luckily they cancelled it. Whew! Besides I'd miss some ice fishing. Can't do that in FL.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Inherited a Kubota

Last month the wife and I had to go South and visit in-laws. While I was down there my FIL gave me his old tractor and all the implements since he sold the ranch and has no use for them. He lives on the OR coast so rust grows on everything fast. I went out back and looked at tons of rust. I looked past that and was pleased to find everything somewhat intact. We rented a U-hual and put all the implements and tractor inside plus tons of extra stuff. What I ended up with was a nice little B7100 tractor with a stack of Lands Pride implements. A 48" tiller, 60" rear blade, 48" box blade, a Speeco post hole auger with a 9 and 12" augers, and a 48" brush hog, and a fairly new Buhler 95 FEL. It was a nice package. I have thanked him profusely.
What I ended up with when I got home was a bunch of badly neglected rust. It has taken me a month but I tore the Kubota down to an engine and frame then did a lot of rust removal. Now everything from the frame out is Kubota blue/orange. The transmission had white goo in it for gear oil. I changed that and cleaned the screen 4 times before all the transmission and loader arms were working with new gear oil. Engine oil was the same. Last time that was change was 1998. Luckily the machine hasn't been run much. I changed oil/filters twice (run a little between changes). I purchased a new seat, glow plugs, glow pug controller and she starts and runs like crazy. I've been used to my Deere's but the little Kubota is fun. All the controls are different than a Deere and much slower but it's a smaller/older machine. My wife used it the other day and says she likes her little pumpkin. That tears it. "Her little pumpkin???" Aargh. I'm happy with that though.
Been cleaning and refurbishing implements. The brush hog had John deere tags on it. Can't read the model #. I didn't know JD made a 48" brush hog. It's older but in good shape besides the rust. It is now rust free. The case is JD green and all the arms and gear box are JD yellow now. Blades are sharp and gear oil changed. Thing looks nice behind the 790. woo-hoo. The Speeco post hole digger was green with rust but is now new JD green. I can't find a color that matches all the rest of the Lands Pride stuff. It's a duller yellow/tan color. Think I'll sand everything down and do the tiller, box blade, and Rear Blade over to Kubota orange. They fit that machine and orange would be appropriate. Gotta take pictures this weekend. I'll try and post them next week. Something new..... A Kubota. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts