Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to use a simple "Chain Shortener" to help with simple rigging task's.

I demonstrate our small Chain Shortener while lifting my plow blade to store it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Thanks Ken. I've seen them but didn't pay close enough attention to them as I wasn't sure what I would use them for. Now I know. Now there is another item on my list. My chains are more like 20 feet long so I could use them a lot. Been using the center hook on the bucket to take up the slack. I like the chain shortener idea better. :good2:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
GREAT video, Kenny!!

But, now there's another $10 (plus shipping) that I have to send your way! I might as well throw in a few of those oblong slings that you sell too. Doggone you!! :nunu: :laugh:

Were you ever a cop in a former life? When you slapped the first chain shortener hook on the chain, you did it with a motion like cops do when they're slapping the cuffs on a perp! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
GREAT video, Kenny!!

But, now there's another $10 (plus shipping) that I have to send your way! I might as well throw in a few of those oblong slings that you sell too. Doggone you!! :nunu: :laugh:

Were you ever a cop in a former life? When you slapped the first chain shortener hook on the chain, you did it with a motion like cops do when they're slapping the cuffs on a perp! :laugh:
...and you know this how? :mocking: First hand?

BTW - chain shortener looks like a must have in my 2440 tool box. Just placed my order.

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, but I have been accused a time or three of being the “forum” or “safety” police around here :mocking: Does that count? :dunno:

I’m glad you (all) liked the video, I really feel awkward doing them but hopefully that will subside over time with a few more.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How to use a simple "Chain Shortener" to help with simple rigging task's.

I demonstrate our small Chain Shortener while lifting my plow blade to store it.
Thanks for sharing Kenny. This will definitely come in handy when using my fork/chains to pick up the mmm for cleaning! :good2:

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Appreciate the video Kenny, I will definitely add one of these to my "want" list, it's nice to have a 20' chain because sometimes I need that but sometimes I only need 5 or 6 feet too.

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
No, but I have been accused a time or three of being the “forum” or “safety” police around here :mocking: Does that count? :dunno:

I’m glad you (all) liked the video, I really feel awkward doing them but hopefully that will subside over time with a few more.
I'll be sending in an order too, but really kenny, I thought it was Jeff from GFP doing the video! You appear pretty much at ease like you've been doing this your entire life!
We always used to just let the chain come thru an opening and attach the one end to the chain, but this makes it much easier especially if you don't have that opening to run the chain thru.. Thanks for the video. Jeff

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
...and you know this how? :mocking: First hand?
Of course it's not first hand! I can never see the cop when he's cuffing me since he's always behind me!! :lol:

Actually, Sweetie and I watch a LOT of "Cops" on TV on Saturday nights! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
994 Posts

Don't feel awkward - you've got good info - good products.

BTW - no rush on my order...I decided not to give the chain shortener to my wife for Christmas.

Her birthday is right around the corner, shhhh!

·
Registered
21,145 Posts

It takes time I guess. Look at Blake who never used to show himself in his early videos to becoming a star of youtube.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Don't feel awkward - you've got good info - good products.

BTW - no rush on my order...I decided not to give the chain shortener to my wife for Christmas.

Her birthday is right around the corner, shhhh!
Between you and Mark you're making this way to easy to respond with a not so straight answer!
That's Marks story and he's sticking with it, and obviously your chain is at the proper length right now and you're happy with it!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
tj1 - That one literally had me laughing out loud!!! And I am sticking to my story!! It's not firsthand experience! I've never been handcuffed (by a cop :shhh:) and I've never been tased or arrested!

======================================

It takes time I guess. Look at Blake who never used to show himself in his early videos to becoming a star of youtube.
If I was as ruggedly handsome as Kenny and/or Blake, I'd be looking for excuses to make videos and post them on the interwebs. :bigthumb: Unfortunately, I have the perfect face for radio.

======================================

And now that we've completely hijacked Kenny's great, informative thread, let's put it back on track....

I have a 15' (or maybe 20'???) chain that's really too long. Should I pick up a shorter length just to make it easier to handle 90% of what I use it for, or should I just get a shortener (or two) and use that heavy long chain as part of my workout?

And, if I pick up a shorter length, can I actually use the "chain shortener" as a "chain lengthener" if I need a longer piece of chain to drag something like a tree trunk out of the woods?

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 15' (or maybe 20'???) chain that's really too long. Should I pick up a shorter length just to make it easier to handle 90% of what I use it for, or should I just get a shortener (or two) and use that heavy long chain as part of my workout?

And, if I pick up a shorter length, can I actually use the "chain shortener" as a "chain lengthener" if I need a longer piece of chain to drag something like a tree trunk out of the woods?
Sure, but since there are two regular grabs, one will always fall off LOL. It would be better to have a Twist Lock hook on one (or both) of your shorter chains.

My chain (all 5/16" grade 70) arsenal includes :
-One 4' chain with a Twist Lock grab on one end, and a Twist Lock slip on the other.
-Two 10' chains with grab hooks on both ends, as I said in the video these are my "go-to" ones since they are easily handled and versatile for general lifting and binding task's. One of these chains (not the one used in the video) has a Twist Lock grab on it so I can safely "join" it to the other 10' piece without fear of it coming loose.
-One 20' chain, Twist Lock grab on one end, and a Twist Lock slip on the other. This is my "pull the car out of the ditch" and towing chain.

·
Registered
459 Posts
-One 20' chain, Twist Lock grab on one end, and a Twist Lock slip on the other. This is my "pull the car out of the ditch" and towing chain.
I saw these on your site earlier today when i was looking for the shortener. I see the little looped video you have in the center of the chaining/rigging page that shows the twist lock grab. What's the difference between the grab and the slip, from a use standpoint? I've not seen anything like them.
Thanks Kenny!

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Heck, look at Tim Marks, one more video and people will start asking for his autograph :lol:

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw these on your site earlier today when i was looking for the shortener. I see the little looped video you have in the center of the chaining/rigging page that shows the twist lock grab. What's the difference between the grab and the slip, from a use standpoint? I've not seen anything like them.
Thanks Kenny!
A "grab"..."grabs" the chain anywhere along it's length, whereas the "slip" will allow the chain to slide though.

Here is early video from our YouTube channel that shows them better (man I'm really "stiff" in that one LOL):

1 - 20 of 28 Posts