Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Right - it may sound like a dumb question - but I was a 100% complete Newbie when I got my tractor 50 hrs. ago. But with everyone's help here, I am starting to do some things that I never thought I would be good at before. And like others, I am really bummed I didn't buy a tractor 15 years ago. My back and knees would be in much better shape today. :)

So I'm getting my first service done soon, and I was going to give it a good washing first. But I have no idea exactly how to do it - as in, what not to get wet, where not to shoot water, and any other "no-nos" or suggestions.

For example, should I attempt to keep water away from the "dashboard, ignition and other switches?" Can (or should I) spray down the engine compartment? When washing, does the water that gets under the floor mat just sit there and promote rusting? Should I immediately dry and lube the silver part of the hydraulic pistons?

I was going to "blow dry" with my leaf blower when done, but didn't know if there were places I should be careful of when doing that - like unintentionally blowing moisture into electronics, etc. where hand drying may be better.

If there is another topic somewhere, or if this is in the manual anywhere, I apologize. Just send me there please. Or share any tips or tricks you might have discovered.

And one related additional question please. How many hours past 50 hrs on my 1025r TLB would be considered too many, before completing the 50 hour service? My service department is taking a little longer than I would like to come out and do it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have only had mine for about 18 months but I wash it after every use including mowing weekly. I wash out everything including taking out the radiator screen and washing down the engine and so far I haven't had any trouble. Keep in mind almost all of these machines sit on the dealers lot exposed to the weather for months at a time sometimes before they are purchased. As far as the 50 hour service it shouldn't hurt it to go a few extra hours. Plus being in Hawaii I would at least rinse it down after every use if you have as much salt in the air as we do in Florida.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I pressure wash mine. When I have the washer set up to clean out the horse trailer, and the tractor is sitting there already within reach of the pressure washer hose, I just use the same Krud Kutter vehicle wash. I do the rinsing with the widest spray tip and usually from about 10 feet away. I avoid directly spraying the exposed parts of the engine and the grille. Since I use my gas leaf blower to get standing water off the horse trailer floor I hit the tractor with it also.

I don't do it often, since I only do the horse trailer when it has been peed in, and horses don't often pee in a moving trailer. When one gets desperate enough to pee, there's quite a flood.:raindance:

Before I did my 50 hour service myself, I did spray down the underside of the tractor with full strength Simple Green, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, and rinsed with a hose just to remove all the accumulated grease and grime, particularly from around the hydraulic fluid strainer access area and filter areas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first got my 1025R I washed it after every use. (I even waxed it the first day I took delivery :lol:) Now I just wash it once a week. I get everything wet and I've never had any issues with anything. I also use my leaf blower and blow everything off before I wash it to get the dust off and after I wash it to get the water off. Then I just dry it like a car being careful to avoid all the grease fittings.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I hose mine down, than use some mild soapy water and hose it again.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Green is VERY Corrosive

I pressure wash mine. When I have the washer set up to clean out the horse trailer, and the tractor is sitting there already within reach of the pressure washer hose, I just use the same Krud Kutter vehicle wash. I do the rinsing with the widest spray tip and usually from about 10 feet away. I avoid directly spraying the exposed parts of the engine and the grille. Since I use my gas leaf blower to get standing water off the horse trailer floor I hit the tractor with it also.

I don't do it often, since I only do the horse trailer when it has been peed in, and horses don't often pee in a moving trailer. When one gets desperate enough to pee, there's quite a flood.:raindance:

Before I did my 50 hour service myself, I did spray down the underside of the tractor with full strength Simple Green, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, and rinsed with a hose just to remove all the accumulated grease and grime, particularly from around the hydraulic fluid strainer access area and filter areas.
Be careful using Simple Green on your expensive equipment. It contains many corrosive chemicals. Just a word of caution..... :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I would recommend you "wash" the green parts of the tractor using car wash soap and water with a washing mitten, and be careful not to spray too much water on the instrument panel - just because! Use high pressure water to clean the rest of the machine and scrub as needed using medium-stiffness plastic bristle brush. Blow dry with leaf blower and towel dry the green to eliminate spots. Use something like Meguiar's Quick Detailer afterwards on the green to promote a nice shiny finish and to protect the surface.

It's a labor of love don't ya know?

:yahoo:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I have a tractor. It gets dirty, greasy to the point I don't like it I wash it...everything. Last week was such a time. I used mean green on everything then hosed it off. I use compressed air to blow all excess water off. Only thing I worry about is the ignition. With the key out I blow air into it to get as much water/moisture out as I can. Wash it, blow dry it.

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
I like to spray the grimy areas like around the 3PH, the wheels and axles with Fantastik... let it sit a few minutes and then rinse it off with a gentle hose spray. It does a really good job of keeping those areas clean. I wash the hood, fenders and other top side areas with car wash soap and a mitt. Again, rinse with a gentle spray. I do the same with the garden tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I like to spray the grimy areas like around the 3PH, the wheels and axles with Fantastik... let it sit a few minutes and then rinse it off with a gentle hose spray. It does a really good job of keeping those areas clean. I wash the hood, fenders and other top side areas with car wash soap and a mitt. Again, rinse with a gentle spray. I do the same with the garden tractor.
That Fantastic is good stuff!!! I use it to clean lots and lots of household "guy stuff".....!!

Reactions: Marlin and Robnik

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
IMO if a tractor can sit outside on a dealers lot year around they can handle being washed. When washing my tractors with a pressure washer I tend to keep it away from stickers and decals being as a pressure washer can really make them ugly quick. I use the garden hose to hit everything including the instrument panels on the previous tractors I owned, if it couldn't handle getting wet then that's a tractor I don't need to own. I have always opened the hoods to hose off the engines but I keep water away from the air intake. I open the doors on the 3520 and hose out the floor on it often, if it didn't have a cloth seat or headliner I wouldn't be afraid to wash everything in the cab.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Be careful using Simple Green on your expensive equipment. It contains many corrosive chemicals. Just a word of caution..... :bigthumb:
I have been washing all types of vehicles and equipment for more than 20 years-not seen any.problems yet. I used it on my Harley, Jeep, Suburban, JD 445, now JD 2025R, and all power lawn equipment. Good soaking with 1/2 to full strength Simple Green, then hose it off. Rarely do I have to scrub or repeat. Never noticed any corrosion on anything (I go through gallons of the stuff every year).

I spray EVERYTHING with the hose. Directly on engine (cool), and every other part of the tractor. No problems.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I have been washing all types of vehicles and equipment for more than 20 years-not seen any.problems yet. I used it on my Harley, Jeep, Suburban, JD 445, now JD 2025R, and all power lawn equipment. Good soaking with 1/2 to full strength Simple Green, then hose it off. Rarely do I have to scrub or repeat. Never noticed any corrosion on anything (I go through gallons of the stuff every year).

I spray EVERYTHING with the hose. Directly on engine (cool), and every other part of the tractor. No problems.
Glad you have not had a problem yet. There is plenty of info online about how to use it cautiously to minimize its corrosive effect. :bigthumb:

Reactions: Robnik

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
I sprayed mine lightly with a hose once....That was the only time it got washed, I spray the dust off with air and clean the radiator the same way. I keep a rag wrapped around the hydro fittings and wipe off any grease with a rag and throw it away. There just isn't much grease anywhere.

Washing a SCUT, tractor or Lawn Tractor seems like a losing proposition, Air seems to do a pretty good job, makes it so I can see the clock and the gauges. I like to keep water away from metal parts as much as I can, It gets plenty in the winter plowing snow.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Spray Nine is the most versatile cleaner I have found. I keep some in a pump sprayer, siding, shower, tractor, .....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm planning to wash my tractor for the first time. Is there a tip on how to clean the dashboard screen without scratching the screen?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I'm planning to wash my tractor for the first time. Is there a tip on how to clean the dashboard screen without scratching the screen?
I use actual spray computer screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth to clean the gauge lens so to not scratch it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use actual spray computer screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth to clean the gauge lens so to not scratch it.
Not a bad idea, SulleyBear. I think I will do the same. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you work on it, youll develop your own system of cleaning, using the products and processes you like.
Heres mine.
I wash and wax mine just like I do my vehicles.
That means car wash soap and wax too (I prefer Meguiars products).
Pressure washing has always been a no-no for me. Too many bad possibilities with electronics and bearings, and you need the hose to run one anyway, so I dont see the point. Obviously, others feel differently, and thats just fine.
I have used a blower to dry them, but to me its easier and better to use a chamois and microfiber towel.
Since my instrument cluster appears to be glass, I dont do anything special there. If I was worried about it, Id use (and have for light cleanings, including the rest of the tractor) Original Bike Spirits and a microfiber towel.
I, personally, will avoid degreasers of any kind at all costs on visible painted surfaces. They will discolor them if left on any length of time, and some take no time at all to do so.
I also clean up any extra grease around fittings and pins for two reasons. One, they collect dust and debris, two, I dont like getting it on myself when leaning over something while working on it, or grabbing a handful or gloveful and spreading it somewhere else before I notice it.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Since my instrument cluster appears to be glass, I dont do anything special there. If I was worried about it, Id use (and have for light cleanings, including the rest of the tractor) Original Bike Spirits and a microfiber towel.
What vintage/model tractor do you have with a glass instrument cluster?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts