Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering the BXpanded backhoe thumb for my 260B backhoe but not sure if I would really get a lot of use from it.
I have a Brush Crusher, so I don't need it to lift logs for easier cutting with a chain saw.

If anyone here has a backhoe thumb on a compact tractor, what all do you use if for? Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
2038R in the PNW
173 Posts
I had one on my 2025.
I don’t think I used it more than once. Maybe twice.
And it tended to get in the way when digging more than a foot deep with the hoe.
Maybe I just didn’t have the right use for it at my place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use my thumb to save the arm on my 485a backhoe. Even in the fully open position it stops me from adding more dents to the arm when moving rocks.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Get some duct tape and have a friend/your kids whoever..tape your thumbs down for a hour.

Seriously....I ts used every time on the mini ex ...if nothing else to position next bucket for use ,ripping limbs down ,tossing logs , Its a must have for me. Stump werk its real handy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow...different strokes for different folks.

I had a JD110TLB for over 15 years and LOVED the thumb. Grabbing logs inaccessible with the loader, pulling rocks out of holes being dug, sorting rocks and roots from spoils, grabbing smaller trees/bushes and pulling them out of the ground with minimal soil disruption, removing stumps...

I just traded-in the JD110 on a mini excavator. A thumb was a non-negotiable "must-have".

BTW, I'd take a hydraulic thumb over a mechanical.

Joel

PS Did I mention I LOVE the thumb?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the hydraulic thumb everytime I use the backhoe. 2019 1025r. They are excellent for manipulating items in brush like bricks, large rocks, etc. I use mine to grab vines and pull them completely out of tall trees. Picking up large logs like a skidder. Also great for large unruly brush that's hard to scoop up with the FEL. I had JD install their hydraulic thumb before I had my tractor delivered.

Dave B.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hydraulic thumb on 2025R 260B here. Would not be without it. I use it most often with the BXpanded ripper when digging out stumps to grab the roots after they are ripped loose and pull them out to set aside. It is also good for getting rocks and chunks of stump out of the way. When cutting firewood I haul the logs up to the woodshed in the grapple, cut off the rounds that I can with it in the air, and then pick up the shorter pieces with the BH using the thumb so I can cut the rest of the rounds up in the air. Sure, it is a lot of fiddling around but it is fun and I don't have a real job anymore.

Generally I will use the hydraulics to lower the thumb all the way and then lock it out so it acts essentially as a fixed thumb. The mechanical thumb would work fine for most tasks but to get it in position and back out of the way would require getting off and on the machine each time (or really long arms). Especially when ripping out roots the hydraulic thumb is worth the extra cost.

Another handy use I have found is picking up sections of sod when digging holes or ditches. The sod gets set way off to one side and the dirt on the other side so backfilling is easier. To pick it up requires a getler touch and the thumb is locked about half way down so it holds the sod in the bucket without cutting into it.

With the thumb pulled back against the dipper stick I rarely if ever find that it gets in the way when digging or trenching, but then I am not real proficient at it so maybe if I were able to dig the ditch faster it would be easier without having it on there.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I couldn't justify the cost of a hydraulic thumb on my 270b but did get the mechanical. Used it quite a but moving logs, grabbing brush, rocks, pulling up old filter fabric. Was a makeshift grapple to drag brush into the woods. Best 600$ I think I spent.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I should point out that my hydraulic thumb was dealer installed when I bought the machine and included in the 0% financing. Had I bought it afterward and installed it myself I would have gone with one of the mechanical ones, most likely from BX. If that were the case I am sure I would have been happy with it.

The reason I say I would not be without a thumb of some sort is that my first tractor (JD 855 with a 7 BH) did not have a thumb at all. I didn't realize that I missed having one until several years later when I bought a mini excavator with a thumb. Both of those machine are history but I knew for sure that my next backhoe would have the thumb.

I say just buy the thing and figure out something to use it for. :ROFLMAO: I really do not think you will have any regrets.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have been considering the BXpanded backhoe thumb for my 260B backhoe but not sure if I would really get a lot of use from it.
I have a Brush Crusher, so I don't need it to lift logs for easier cutting with a chain saw.

If anyone here has a backhoe thumb on a compact tractor, what all do you use if for? Thanks for the info.
When I bought my 1025 TLB, I ordered a Bxpanded mechanical thumb, thinking that I could use it a lot. Turns out, I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but it's like one of those tools you don't use often, but when you do, it sure comes in handy.
Of course your usage may differ.
I don't regret buying it, especially for the reasonable cost and would never sell it.

·
Registered
2005 3320 with FEL, 1978 AC 5020 FEL, 2000 Bobcat 763
98 Posts
I have had two guys with mini hoes out to my place to work for probably a total of 10 hours or more. Both used their hydraulic thumbs a lot. They used them for stump and brush removal, moving things out of their way to keep digging, etc. Both seemed to love them. I have a thumb on my skidsteer bucket and would not be without it. I think it is a matter of remembering it is available. Having one that was not thumb operated would be a waste in my opinion. Just like my snow plow where I adjust the angle all the time, if it was manual I would hate getting out and adjusting the angle. It is just another tool that is used in certain situations, like speed wrenches or deep well sockets.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I think it's really handy. I only have a mechanical thumb but I don't need to change positions often enough to matter.
Another benefit is that the bx thumb adds about 30 lbs of rear ballast so it's still useful all the time!

Tire Automotive tire Tree Motor vehicle Wood

Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
8 Posts

Like a hand, you can pick things up easier, like rocks or anything you have to reach for in hard to reach places.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I put a weld on mechanical thumb on my industrial size backhoe. After I got use to digging with it in the extended position it never got put back to stow. I mainly use my hoe for digging stumps so it gets used every time I dig a stump out. It has been in the 90 degree position going on 3 years.

Position of the tractor has everything to do with whether it gets in the way or how much. Mine weights way too much to be getting on and off the tractor to reposition it.

Obviously a hydraulic thumb would be the ultimate choice.

·
Registered
503 Posts
BTW Who sells that thumb? JD'S aren't available right now and I need one.
BXpanded is probably the best choice for a mechanical thumb. It looks as good as or better than the JD one and is half the price. If you want the hydraulic kit you can get it at GreenPartsStore.

Posting from phone so no links but Google the names to find their products.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I had the Bxpanded thumb on my 260B. I used it so much for building rock walls, I converted it to full hydraulic.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Can you share that experience? Parts, tips etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually posted it on the forum a while back. Let me try and find it. Also have a word doc with exactly what I did. I can get the part numbers as well.

Reactions: CrocketNY
1 - 20 of 31 Posts