Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a couple pics of trying to mow grass today:banghead: with my X475 jd and my parker sweeper

these are for DRobinson:lol: sweeping grass with the X475 and parker sweeper20170509_162104.jpg and my inspector pile of grass clippings so far and Charley boy.jpg

couldn't mow any more-than on the hill there, rest is gonna half to wait till it dries up-maybe i'll make some hay to sell togizmo2 now.:lol::bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I'm holding off till thursday to mow.Trying to let it dry as much as possible.Even then there are spots I'll have to go around.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If mine gets much longer, I may have to brush hog the lawn. I'm hoping to mow tomorrow but there are some areas that are still too wet.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
You didn't even sink it to the axles yet, that's not wet!

·
Registered
741 Posts
just a couple pics of trying to mow grass today:banghead: with my X475 jd and my parker sweeper

these are for DRobinson:lol: View attachment 364138 and my inspector View attachment 364146

couldn't mow any more-than on the hill there, rest is gonna half to wait till it dries up-maybe i'll make some hay to sell togizmo2 now.:lol::bigthumb:
Jim, how does that Parker sweeper work for you? I've been hoping to find a used one but they just don't pop up for sale (at least around here). I know Parker has been around a long time and I'm not impressed with the more "affordable" lawn sweepers.

·
Corndog Hater
11,243 Posts
BigJim, my front acre + around the house I have only mowed with my little 185 this year. It's not so much wet as it is soft. My back yard, 2.5+ acres, I mowed tonight with the 1026R for the second time this season. It was definitely wet in the areas it always is. I didn't need MFWD though. But the MMM got a good rinse with the hose afterwards to clean off all the muddy water tire spray. I need 1 series fenders!!! Oh and BTW, it has been wet and/or too long so far this season that I haven't yet mowed at my normal cut height, I'm still cutting it high.:flag_of_truce:

For what it's worth, your lawn looks pretty darn dry! Looks good:good2:

·
Registered
12,501 Posts

these are for DRobinson:lol: View attachment 364138 and my inspector View attachment 364146

I have yet to mow my lawn dry, actually I have mowed in the rain twice already this year, I'm jealous because I see sun in your picture:laugh:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
I like the file names you use for your pictures Big Jim!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim, how does that Parker sweeper work for you? I've been hoping to find a used one but they just don't pop up for sale (at least around here). I know Parker has been around a long time and I'm not impressed with the more "affordable" lawn sweepers.
that parker sweeper is almost 10 yrs old-i bought it in 08 at a dealer that sold wheel horse and bobcat's, then switched to Kubota:banghead:

but it gets used hard-i have had it to many other yards over the yrs to sweep their grass, when we had a wet spring like this yr.

i believe i paid almost $500 for it back then. wife almost had a heart attack that day. i took all my overtime back then, from several weekends i had worked for it. so i told her we wasn't missing anything from my normal paycheck. i worked for the coal company back then, and if they wanted a block of coal-my hrs was unlimited to what i could work-or stay awake. i was only 10 miles from home-dozer could only run on 10hrs till it needed fuel again-so i would fuel twice-then come home get a shower and sleep for a spell-then go back at it-till day shift came in on monday morning. i worked all night shift back then-except the weekend's.
the parker is still going strong-yet. i'dl buy another in a heart beat again.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's another pic-i had taken that day-walked out today to show uns the tire marks i made yesterday-but for some reason they didn't take for me:banghead:
came back inside and it worked a-ok-why-IDK--maybe it was the rain:rain:

mowing when it was too wet-made tire marks in grass.jpg

·
Registered
741 Posts
that parker sweeper is almost 10 yrs old-i bought it in 08 at a dealer that sold wheel horse and bobcat's, then switched to Kubota:banghead:

but it gets used hard-i have had it to many other yards over the yrs to sweep their grass, when we had a wet spring like this yr.

i believe i paid almost $500 for it back then. wife almost had a heart attack that day. i took all my overtime back then, from several weekends i had worked for it. so i told her we wasn't missing anything from my normal paycheck. i worked for the coal company back then, and if they wanted a block of coal-my hrs was unlimited to what i could work-or stay awake. i was only 10 miles from home-dozer could only run on 10hrs till it needed fuel again-so i would fuel twice-then come home get a shower and sleep for a spell-then go back at it-till day shift came in on monday morning. i worked all night shift back then-except the weekend's.
the parker is still going strong-yet. i'dl buy another in a heart beat again.
Thanks, Jim. I'll keep looking for a good used Parker. It's too bad Ariens bought the company and eventually discontinued the brand. I just hate those big clumps of messy grass when I can't mow as often during the wet spring and fall seasons. I have a triple bagger for my x540 but I'd be stopping every 30 seconds to empty it.

Your lawn looks fabulous to me!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thanks, Jim. I'll keep looking for a good used Parker. It's too bad Ariens bought the company and eventually discontinued the brand. I just hate those big clumps of messy grass when I can't mow as often during the wet spring and fall seasons. I have a triple bagger for my x540 but I'd be stopping every 30 seconds to empty it.

I have the JD equivalent of that sweeper. It has served me well over the years. Think the price was close to $500 when I bought it. Amazingly I don't have one single good picture of it. The downside is

Has a rope to dump the hopper. It's tough to pull when the hopper is full. Rope is easily tangled in the brush roll.
You need a lot of room to dump/unload it. Can't pile debris up. Just keep dumping next to the last pile. This takes more skill than you would think.
The debris is not chopped up like with a bagger. When collecting leaves it fills up quick. Once stuffed the brushes and wheels lock up. Then you end up dragging it or the mower gets stuck. Depends on what you are pulling it with.

The good thing is it beats the rake.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

:banghead::unknown: what u mean i can't buy another brand Parker sweeper like the one i have:banghead: i hadn't know they went out of business. i wonder if i can still even get parts for :munch:mine

·
Registered
741 Posts
:banghead::unknown: what u mean i can't buy another brand Parker sweeper like the one i have:banghead: i hadn't know they went out of business. i wonder if i can still even get parts for :munch:mine
At least according to this web link, Gravely and Ariens dealers should be able to provide parts. Also, they mention this contact:
Keen Edge at 1-800-589-4145.

Parker Sweeper

I would happily buy a new one if still available for sale.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nice looking yard BigJim!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice looking yard BigJim!
:good2:thanks-that's just a little part of it i can mow-i tried to take more pics of the wet spots-but it was raining hard and i just didn't touch the right spot on my phone-no bifocals on:laugh: this is why i need a little hoe on the 2520-i could ditch that water away--and u know the worst part about it--the day we stood or sat at the dealers -she told me to get one:banghead::banghead::banghead: i said -ahh-i don't need no little stinking hoe--:lol: what an idiot i was back in 2006:banghead::banghead: oh-yeah-she said do ya want a cab with it--:banghead: i said naw--so stupid-duh!:laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts