Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 Gen 2 2025R. Am looking to purchase a box blade to do some light yard leveling and maintain a 300 foot gravel uphill drive at my deer camp. What size box blade would you all recommended. Would a 5 foot be okay or should I go with a 4 foot? How many ripper shanks? See some with 3 and as many as 5. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I own a 2018 Gen 2 2025R. Am looking to purchase a box blade to do some light yard leveling and maintain a 300 foot gravel uphill drive at my deer camp. What size box blade would you all recommended. Would a 5 foot be okay or should I go with a 4 foot? How many ripper shanks? See some with 3 and as many as 5. Thanks!
IMHO, I would go with the 4'. The 5' will work for you but if you get any material build up inside the box you will lose traction and sit there spinning all 4 tires. I have used a 5' on my 2038 and it can be a handful at times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
It’s all about controlling how much you allow your box to fill. As someone with a 4 foot, id go with the 5. The width will give you a more level finish and covers your rear tires. I run 180lb of weight on my 4 foot to help it dig in good anyways. You wont go uphill with a big box filled with stone with either sized box.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Look into a land plane.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a 5ft on mine. 2025R handles it fine and it does great job on level ground. I don’t think I could pull it full uphill on gravel. I wanted the extra weight to cut into the ground but if I was maintaining a gravel drive the “one trick pony” land plane is as good as it gets. But that’s all it does. I almost never use the rippers. In fact I had to get a shorter top link for my rippers to even be effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use a King Kutter 5 ft. box blade on my 2025R. It has 5 teeth that I have used occasionally if the driveway developed quite a few pot holes. I rarely use it for dirt, mostly just driveways and our church parking lot. I have not had any problems as long as I use the 4wd.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I pull a 5ft land plane with my 2305 and will with my 2025 if it ever gets built.
I have 1/4 mile of drive and it does at great job. I bought the LandPride since it has shanks, I had some bad holes to scarf out. Used the shanks once to smooth and since then only for ice control.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 1025r and pull a BB5060L behind it. It has 5 ripper's that I have not engaged yet but I have had no problem using it to do what I want it to.
20190927_160802.jpg

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'd go with the 5 foot size. You have the horsepower and lift capability, and they can have as many as 5 rippers. I moved snow with an X748 using a 5 ft box blade, and could fill the box over 1/2 full of dirt and still pull it. I did have some issues if I had the rippers down far enough. No such issues with my 2520, though, same blade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts