Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this King Kutter back blade and the area at the angle pins between the pivot and bottom of frame is wallowed to one side so I was thinking either fill it in with a weld or should I drill it or and weld a pipe/sleeve in it.
what are your thoughts?
Green Organism Terrestrial plant Line Grass

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Go the easy way. Just weld the pin as is.

Dave

Reactions: myrna

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts

·
Administrator
22,955 Posts
Can you post a wider picture?

What about filing the area with weld, and adding a 1/4 or 3/8 plate on top also?

Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Let it ride as is.
Pins that are too tight are a pita.

Its just a blade not a micrometer

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
A bushing welded in could be made longer than the square tube wall is thick. Therefor you will gain surface area contact with the pin and this should lead to reduced rate of wear.

Reactions: BWV

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Black pipe usually has a pronounced weld seam inside the pipe, this seam is not always fully annealed during the forming operation. Also it is not truly round.
I would look for a piece of steel tubing from perhaps McMaster Carr. The stuff is cheap and usually ground shipping will get it to you the next day.
It comes in a variety of wall thicknesses. Or perhaps you can find bushing material as previously mentioned.
Most important thing is the carbon content should be considered "low carbon", 1010 - 1026.
Any higher and you run a strong risk of cracking during the weld cooling process.
Go to McMaster web site and search low carbon steel tubing. Measure your pin diameter and pick a thick tube wall that has an inside diameter larger than your pin and you will see the outside diameter that is resultant.

·
Premium Member
10,362 Posts
Drill and bushing welded in. (y)

Reactions: BWV and JD4044M

·
Registered
235 Posts
Buy a piece of flat iron that is 3" or 4" wide and a 1/4" thick, drill a hole in 2 square pieces and weld them into place centered over the original hole. The thickness will take up some of the slack between the frame and the blade.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
X2 what Darryle suggested. Plate welded on each side.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
235 Posts
No room between the two pieces so off to tractor supply I go to find a bushing and step drill bit.
That won't work, you will ruin the drill and possibly your knuckles, torch it out like others have suggested.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,891 Posts
Buy a piece of flat iron that is 3" or 4" wide and a 1/4" thick, drill a hole in 2 square pieces and weld them into place centered over the original hole. The thickness will take up some of the slack between the frame and the blade.
X2 what Darryle suggested. Plate welded on each side.

View attachment 788217
X3 but I'd also weld an appropriate size nut to one or both plates, maybe even use a slightly smaller nut and drill it out to the correct size.

Reactions: JR Diyer
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.