Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1025r TLB
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring I moved from less than a half acre in a small city out to the woods with a few more acres and happily purchased a 1025r TLB with a 60d auto connect. The back and side yard a pretty rough, to the point where it was overgrown with small trees and undergrowth. I’ve take down a bunch of trees, dug up a bunch of stumps and now have a lot of gravelly soil with roots and rocks.

I also have a gravel driveway to maintain. So, I’m trying to figure out what attachments make the most sense so I acquire what’s useful and not accumulate yard ornaments?

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Terrestrial plant
Plant Plant community Leaf Natural landscape Tree

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Looks like a perfect candidate for a box blade. Very useful tool. Get one with scarifiers (rippers).

·
Registered
931 Posts
Depends on what you want do with it. For a lawn it will need to be worked over and leveled, you might have to bring in top soil and a landscape rake to get rid of the larger stones in the gravel. Leaving it rough, a brush hog might be ok to keep it in check. I have fields I brush cut every couple of years or so just to keep the trees and brush from taking over. As I only use the brush cutter once every couple of years, you might consider it a yard ornament, I don't as it is in the shed out of site until I need it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Box blade is really good for moving material around to level out an area.
A land plane works even better to really lay down a smooth finish.
A landscape rake will work really nicely after the box blade to pull out sticks and rocks and roots if you want a clean surface.
Buy what you need to do your work and you can always sell them later on. If you buy used to start with you probably won’t lose any money if you buy right.

·
Registered
2021 1025r TLB
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the land plane vs box blade, I looked around for a land plane with teeth in a size I guessed my 1025r might handle, but struggled to find anything. My skills, if you can even call them that, are pretty rough and I worried that I would make a big mess with a box blade.

so, box blade with rippers to break everything up and try to get decently smoothed out and then a landscape rake to get rid of bigger debris?

buried under the leaves, I found those sections of chain link fence, possibly old gates. Would dragging one with some weight on it be good for final leveling after raking?

thanks for all of the help!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
On the land plane vs box blade, I looked around for a land plane with teeth in a size I guessed my 1025r might handle, but struggled to find anything. My skills, if you can even call them that, are pretty rough and I worried that I would make a big mess with a box blade.

so, box blade with rippers to break everything up and try to get decently smoothed out and then a landscape rake to get rid of bigger debris?

buried under the leaves, I found those sections of chain link fence, possibly old gates. Would dragging one with some weight on it be good for final leveling after raking?

thanks for all of the help!
You probably will make a mess initially with the box blade. Very few people get it right the first time. That's ok, you can go back over it and learn what works while fixing your mess.

The fence sections will work to break up clods and smooth things out, especially with the pipe to the front to keep things from curling up on you. You might bend the pipe as they are light duty conduit but a board can be a replacement.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,904 Posts
Only way to get good at something is to try. I'd go BB with hydraulic top link and chain harrow for final smoothing. A land plane likely would work better for final grading, but they aren't t cheap and with more time the same results can be obtained with a BB, harrow and FEL.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
With my eyes the area looks pretty level and smooth. If the areas aren’t very big I’d seed them. I use a small tiller to do a shallow scratch and then seed. If a bigger area you probably need a box blade or tiller for your tractor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That isn't bad, get out there and have fun. It isn't like you are going to hurt anything.

Box blade is a must have, and good staring point.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a box blade and rake for my 1026r. I prefer the rake over a box blade. Also use a fel with a tooth bar too maintain 500’ gravel drive

·
Registered
2021 1025r TLB
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. In terms of picking up rocks, is the rake the best? Guessing a detacher or harrow wouldn’t do much?

I am trying to get to a decent lawn and have a lot of different areas to work. The pictures just show two.

·
Registered
2020 1025R, 120R, 60D MMM, BB5048L, BC-4215
19 Posts
I am in the same situation as you. I have an area I have removed brush from, only to discover that I "now have a lot of gravelly soil with roots and rocks." I used a box blade to smooth out some of the area and it worked great. However, the amount of roots and rocks has led me to consider purchasing a rock bucket from here to remove the rocks. I am still in the research phase and can tell you they are not cheap, but what info I have been able to find has led me to believe it might work for me, your situation may be different. My plan, if I get one, would be to use my box blade to loosen the soil and then use the rock bucket to sift the rocks out. After which, I could either back drag with the bucket or smooth out with the box blade. I recently started a thread to find more info about rock buckets. If you go here, you will see where another member shared his experience with his rock bucket and posted some pics of what he has been able to do.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Howdy. Looking at your pics you can get by with your fel and a toothbar. There are quite a few out there that would do what you want, invest in a yard rake and you will be able to clean up lots of rocks, sticks, leaves in the fall and maintain your drive. I would recommend getting thevwheel kit for the rake. You can set it at the height you want and just drive. It takes alot of practice to float the rake and get the results you want. The god thing us you can use the set gauge on the 3 pt lever to get your height.

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood Grass

Just a few pics to show you of my set up. This is what it will look like with the rake. Obviously there is some hand raking to get the rest but the majority is picked up by the rake. 2 more pic. This is the bottom of my yard going down into the rest of my property. I am burying a construction road we had for a expansion on my house.
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Wood
Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt Natural landscape

Just to give you a idea. I have a box blade but never use it.

Good luck!
WB 🚜🇺🇲

1 - 13 of 13 Posts