Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gals), I'm fairly new here, but have been lurking for a while. I have a question for you that I hope you can help me with.

My uncle is "retiring" and moving up to his cottage and no longer has a need for several of his tractor implements, therefore he is selling several of them. The one I am most interested in is a Howard Rotavator HR3-50 tiller. It is approximately 10 years old but looks to be in good shape. I'm ultimately looking for a value on this. From what he said (and I've seen online) it looks like Howard used to make the John Deere tillers and opinions of Howard tillers generally are quite positive. I did a quick look online and saw a few being bought/sold for around $700 but some looked to be in rough shape. I haven't inspected this one, but am pretty confident it's in good condition as my uncle is a mechanic. My father also just borrowed it this weekend to till his garden and other than needing to be leveled side to side, it performed flawlessly he said. Anything like wear items or failure points that I should look for/be concerned about before buying it?

As a side note, this would be used with a JD 1025R that I will be purchasing later this summer.

I appreciate your insight and help! So... what say you? What would you pay for a 10 year old Howard Rotavator HR3-50? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
11,461 Posts
That looks very well built. It's been 12 years since I bought one so I don't know the prices anymore but for 700...looks to be a good buy. As for wear...shouldn't have any to worry about. Buy it.:bigthumb:

Reactions: NickRo

·
Super Moderator
10,067 Posts
It should be worth anywhere from $700 - $1000 on the used market as it looks to be a very well maintained tiller in good original condition. Hopefully you'll get the "Good Guy" deal!!

Reactions: NickRo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I don't want to rip my uncle off either, but hopefully he feels compelled to give me a family discount :good2:. The hard part is it's 10 years old but looks to be in better shape than most other used ones I've seen out there, and he doesn't even remember what he paid for it. I'm also not familiar with all of the current options on the market but it looks like a brand new 647 can be had for around $2500. With your opinions, I feel pretty comfortable telling him around $700. Unless I get other opinions that vary wildly from that, it sounds like a good place to start. Thanks again for the help!:greentractorride:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.