Green Tractor Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the August edition of the weather thread. Boy, the months just roll on by, don't they?

The full moon this month is on the 18th and called the Full Sturgeon Moon. The fishing tribes are given credit for the naming of this Moon, since sturgeon, a large fish of the Great Lakes and other major bodies of water, were most readily caught during this month. A few tribes knew it as the Full Red Moon because, as the Moon rises, it appears reddish through any sultry haze.

I did a quick scan of the July thread for a little trivia. There were 19 US states represented with posts plus from across the pond in Hessen Denmark. States listed here - not in any certain order. I hope I got my abbreviations correct....

PA
NY
MA
IL
WY
CA
MI
CO
OR
MD
LA
MN
TX
NC
VA
TN
WV
WI
MO

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,266 Posts
Welcome to the August edition of the weather thread. Boy, the months just roll on by, don't they?

The full moon this month is on the 18th and called the Full Sturgeon Moon. The fishing tribes are given credit for the naming of this Moon, since sturgeon, a large fish of the Great Lakes and other major bodies of water, were most readily caught during this month. A few tribes knew it as the Full Red Moon because, as the Moon rises, it appears reddish through any sultry haze.

I did a quick scan of the July thread for a little trivia. There were 19 US states represented with posts plus from across the pond in Hessen Denmark. States listed here - not in any certain order. I hope I got my abbreviations correct....

PA
NY
MA
IL
WY
CA
MI
CO
OR
MD
LA
MN
TX
NC
VA
TN
WV
WI
MO
LA. - High temp today was 92°. Humidity 94%. Rain for 20 minutes this afternoon. Soil is still dry from the daily heat. I'm waiting for cooler temps.

·
Registered
36 Posts

PA
NY
MA
IL
WY
CA
MI
CO
OR
MD
LA
MN
TX
NC
VA
TN
WV
WI
MO
85° with Monson here pretty much rain every afternoon...

Don't forget AZ :flag_of_truce:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Today
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 3pm. Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 77. Calm wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 63. East wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tuesday
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. Northeast wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tuesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 61.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget AZ :flag_of_truce:
Sorry - guess I missed AZ! And I certainly don't want to forget you since AZ is on my bucket list of places to visit.

--------------------------------

Another warm humid night - overnight was a steady 67° with 100% humidity once again. High yesterday was 87° and humid - got a decent rain in the afternoon but again only netted us 0.10". Calling for a high of 85° with a chance of some thunderstorms.

Just enough rain for the trees to absorb and give back more humidity - the scene of my tropical rain forest this morning.....

jpgwebcam.jpg

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
[h=2]Detailed Forecast[/h]
Today
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Light southeast wind.

Tuesday
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 90. Heat index values as high as 100. South wind 3 to 6 mph.

Tuesday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 75. South wind 3 to 5 mph.

Wednesday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 93. South wind 3 to 7 mph.

Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 75.

Thursday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 92.

Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 74.

Friday
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 92.

Friday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73.

Saturday
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 87.

Saturday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.

Sunday
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 85.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Little foggy this morning, 65 now going up to 80 with 20% chance of thunderstorm this afternoon. Upper 80's starting tomorrow and 90's mid week. Possible storms on Friday and low 80's predicted now for next weekend.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Tough week ahead ilmo.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Finally getting some rain this morning, then highs in the mid-90's the rest of the week, welcome to August!

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
This week looks ok. I've got hopes that the rain will stay away so I can get cut & baled!!

forecast.JPG

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because of reading the different reports from our members (a lot in the Good Morning thread) about too much rain or the lack thereof, I took a look at my logs.

For the month of July:

Total rainfall............1.56"
Average for July.......4.25"
Wettest July (2004) 10.00" (remnants from hurricane Ivan)
Driest July (2011)....0.99"

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts
Ended the month of July with 10.80 inches, year to date 46.93 inches.

That averages 6.7 inches a month so far and extrapolates/guesstimates out to potentially 80.4 inches for the year.
That puts us higher than our normal 65 - 75 inches per year.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
We ended up with an inch of rain here at home, our farm is 30 miles to the west. According to the Kansas City forecasters, the was a strip of 6-10" rains to our west & the farm would have been in some of it. A small town a few miles south of the farm reported 7.25" by noon today (today's rain). I may not be out there for a week to see & my two gauges may be running over!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Too humid

It's been hot, overcast and very humid. Been re-taping my garage, prepping it for painting. Weather slowing me down. It's been too humid to second coat areas the same day. Doing complete renovation. Prep, paint, lighting, sub panel, slab crack repair etc. debating wether to go with an epoxy coat floor. From all I've read, they don't last as long as I e thought. Going to post a thread on this for feedback.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Humid and sticky - I mean humid! Low overnight was 64° and holding with 100% humidity since 9pm. Had just enough rain yesterday for the trees to suck it up and give it back off into the air adding to the humidity - ugh!

Calling for a high of 88° with continued high humidity. The forecast has been low just about all summer by ~5° so I expect 93° today with extreme humidity.

Week long forecast looks to be continued dry -

Capture.jpg

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts
So far .44 inch of rain today, waiting for it to clear.
.82 inch so far this month, hope it doesn't go down the dumper like July.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,266 Posts
Was 97° in New Orleans today, with 108° heat index.

Got home around 6 pm. It was 86° and had 1" of sky-water in my gauge.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.