Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the February Weather Thread!

The full moon in February is on the 19th and called the Full Snow Moon due to the typically heavy snowfall of February. This name dates back to the Native American tribes who resided in the northeastern United States before and during Colonial times, when the Moons were a way of tracking the seasons. And the Native Americans were right to give February’s Moon this name: on average, February is the USA’s snowiest month, according to data from the National Weather Service.

Hunting becomes very difficult, and so some Native American tribes called this the Hunger Moon. Others called this Moon the “Shoulder to Shoulder Around the Fire Moon” (from the Wishram people of the Pacific Northwest), the “No Snow in the Trails Moon” (Zuni, of the Southwest), and the “Bone Moon” (Cherokee, of the Southeast). The Bone Moon meant that there was so little food that people gnawed on bones and ate bone marrow soup.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,329 Posts
Ended January with just 3.31" of rain, lowest monthly total in 11 previous months.
Ground starting to firm up a little, finally.

Got a shot of hitting 70* Friday if we get a little sun. :yahoo:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Warmer

We had a low of -26* yesterday with wind chills around -40*.

It’s currently -9* with little to no wind. Forecasted high of 15* today. Saturday supposed to be in the low 30’s. Sunday in the 40’s.

Not sure what’s up with the crazy weather . We’re going from near record cold to near record warmth.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Overnight warm up

Before I went to bed last night it was 17 and the temp had been steadily dropping. When I got up it was 24 so a big change overnight. I'm good with it and looking forward to getting above freezing today.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
572 Posts
We are up to +4:yahoo:

·
Registered
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Low this morning was -4* at around 4am - up to -2* now. A warming trend in the works - supposed to have a high of 19* today.

Sunday through Wednesday it’s supposed to be in the 40’s and overnight lows staying above freezing. From mud to solid ice and back to mud....??

Maybe my driveway will get a reset so to speak - would be nice to see gravel again....

94AF6645-22EB-4D14-AF0A-AADCB2AD0FCA.png

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Warmed up overnight here. Was 5 at at midnight last night and 14 this morning at 5:30. Some flurry stuff going on now. High today of 21. High near 60 on Tuesday they say.

The stoker has been running non stop for a few days now putting a big dent in the coal pile. There is plenty left to last through the heating season though. The stoker has provided 98% of the heat with the propane furnace only kicking on a couple times in the early mornings to add BTU's. Lost count on the buckets used this past week but easily 100lbs / day.

The church filled up their propane tanks last week, I was surprised it was only $1.50 / gallon.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
It's a heatwave......only -2 here today....It's amazing what one can become used to.

The wild life have been eating food like crazy. I have also seen 4 birds now lying dead on top of the snow, almost as if they have frozen to death during the extreme wind chills, etc.

Actually, the temps aren't that bad without the wind cutting you in half.

Now, the urgent matter is digging out our storm drains and moving snow piles off the roads and restoring the roads back to normal width. Due to the snow, we have about 12 feet less of road width because of the snow banks. Temps are forecast to be as high as 40's on Sunday or Monday and then back down to 18 by Thursday. If the piles aren't moved, we will have massive piles of ice which will remain until spring. Plus the future snow fall will make the road narrower and narrower.....down to one lane eventually.

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
-4° right now, which is up from -12°, the low for the day. We are into our second sunny day in a row, with a high of 14° expected. We've had little to no wind the last two days as well, and not one flake of snow.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
-0.6 right now up from -12 earlier. High of 15. First day in last several that we haven’t had a warning, watch or advisory of some kind. Gonna be T-shirt weather this weekend. Big thaw almost 50 Sunday and Monday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Central Oklahoma this week...better get some sunscreen

• [h=3]Today[/h] [h=4]Feb 1[/h] 55° /50°
    Fog in the a.m.; cloudy, mist
    More
  • [h=3]Sat[/h] [h=4]Feb 2[/h] 62° /53°
    Mist; areas of morning fog
    More
  • [h=3]Sun[/h] [h=4]Feb 3[/h] 69° /52°
    Mostly cloudy; breezy
    More
  • [h=3]Mon[/h] [h=4]Feb 4[/h] 69° /43°
    Mostly sunny; warm
    More
  • [h=3]Tue[/h] [h=4]Feb 5[/h] 66° /51°F

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
17 now with a high of 40. Things back to normal after our deep freeze. Didn’t have to get this warm though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yesterday was overcast and flurried all day giving us about 1". Temps stayed about 19 all day - it didnt feel very cold! :dunno:

Then the clouds cleared out and the cold rolled back in, it dropped to 5 last night. No wind though. They predict the high today will get to 32. I might make a run to the dump later in that heat! :mocking:

The stoker kept the house at 68 overnight which is pretty good for an OAT of 5. Used about 90 lb yesterday, down a little from the usage earlier in the week. I'll restock the buckets on the outside stairwell today and be set for the week.

·
Registered
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been hovering between 0* and 3* overnight. Forecast says sunny today with a high of 40*. I’ll believe it when I see it as the cold air usually gets trapped here in the hollow especially with a snow/ice covered ground.

It will be interesting the next couple days what happens with my driveway. Highs in the 40’s and lows staying above freezing. Calling for fog every morning. What that means to me is no evaporation. The ice will start to melt and just hang in suspension giving me wet ice for the duration.

I still have a metal can of anti-skid in the basement but hate spreading it. I went to get some more tube sand last week at Tractor Supply - the only place that sells it in town - and they don’t carry it anymore. That is the only way I can keep anti-skid - in the basement so it doesn’t freeze solid. It would be so nice to get a small dump truck load and use it with my loader....

78CA0EEF-3A68-45BC-A527-949B1CC0B913.png

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
There is hope you'll see those temps CT....

We jumped to 21* by 10am and with the bright sunshine I am sweating like crazy after doing the coal buckets and push brooming the snow off the deck and patio. :drama:

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts

The temp is skyrocketing from a low of -2° with sunny skies.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
It’s 40 deg here now:laugh: 2 days ago it was -34 deg. Quite a change.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Just weird winter weather for us and little snow? No melting I am worried about.

Today
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 38. Southeast wind 6 to 8 mph becoming northeast in the afternoon.
Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. North wind 8 to 16 mph.
Sunday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Blustery, with a north wind 17 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.
Sunday Night
A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before 4am. Patchy blowing snow between 11pm and 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Blustery, with a north wind 17 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Monday
A 20 percent chance of snow before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 23. Blustery, with a north wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts