Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the January 2019 weather thread!

The full moon this month is on the 21st. In Native American and early Colonial times, the Full Moon for January was called the Full Wolf Moon. It appeared when wolves howled in hunger outside the villages.

Traditionally, the January Moon is also known as the Old Moon. To some Native American tribes, this was the Snow Moon, but most applied that name to the next Full Moon, in February.

This year, just a few hours before the peak of the full Moon, a total lunar eclipse will be visible from all of North America. The eclipse will begin at 9:35 P.M. EST on January 20 and end at 2:50 A.M. EST on January 21. A lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes into the shadow of the Earth, which causes the usually bright white Moon to turn an ominous red (sometimes called a “Blood Moon”).

·
Old Pa-pa
11,329 Posts
Have never seen two years back to back rain wise like 2017 and 2018, 2017 was crap and 2018 was a little crappier. :banghead:

Hoping for a dryer 2019!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Didn’t have snow for Christmas but do for New Years.

Can’t wait to plow the 5.5” we supposedly got in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Crap so far. I want snow and cold temps.
Well, Ill take snow without them, but it doesnt work that way.
Right now, its almost T-shirt warm out, or was earlier today.
It rained all day, and then about 7 or so, the wind started picking up, and now is gusting to 40+.
Ive got one big tree down already and am assuming Ill have at least one more come morning.
This wet weather makes it a pain in the rear end to tractor out to do any kind of cleanup, because it will bring tons of mud with it when Im done. Thats a bad cleanup, not to mention the ruts Ill have to deal with in the Spring.
But hey, at least Ill get to work out the new carb on my 550XP!

·
Registered
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a storm that was from yesterday afternoon through early this morning. 1.29” of rain which is a lot for us in one event. What an awesome snowstorm that could have been....

My rain stats:

Dec total - 4.311
Ave Dec - 2.666
Rain days - 16

Annual rain stats:

2018 total - 53.555
Ave year - 37.417
2018 over average - +16.138

I broke my record annual rainfall in 2018 - before that it was 2004 with 52.260. No wonder the ground is so saturated and muddy. My only New Year’s wish is for some cold and snow!

———————————

47* currently and dropping. The high was 56* at around 4am. A wind gust at the same time literally shook the house - made me bolt upright in bed. Temp is supposed to drop continually throughout the day to reach 25* by dawn tomorrow.

78F6EB27-0BCA-49B8-9934-680C80A0B972.png

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
58 and blustery here. (19 at the old house in WI)

High for the day was an hour ago at 59. By sun down it will be 45.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Happy New Year!!!

57 to start the new year this morning. The temp will drop from here to about 40 tonight. The rain stopped for now, .73" in this "event" . Looks like clear skies the rest of the day.

The rain total for 2018 in our gauge is 68.59" . The swale that directs the surface water around the house and back yard never dried out this year and looked like a small stream on many occasions (including this morning).

...edited to correct 2018 total....poor math skills this morning

.... reminds me of Clint when he said something like 'thought there was something wrong with my addition, but its OK now' at the end of one of his spaghetti westerns as he killed the missing gang member to get the bounty to add up correctly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Worked 12 hours (7pm to 7am) on New Years Eve, man do people get stupid when there are liquid refreshments flowing. :mocking:

Oh yeah, it's cold and snowy

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,674 Posts

Heck of a start to 2019!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
Similar story as CT…

Our high temp of 55° came at 1am, its 34° and falling into the upper 20s. Gray and overcast now, we ended up with 1.35” of rain. The rain started just after lunch which worked out as I was able to get my lunch break walk in. The rain really came down at times yesterday and into the evening. The wind was gusty at times and I have a dead tree that blew over out of the woods and into the yard.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Wet here with ice 1/2” rain yesterday. Mud is ridiculous and so is our weather. But I’m glad to see 2019 as my career comes to and end:yahoo:. Now if we could just get some snow

Attachments

·
Old Pa-pa
11,329 Posts
Gray, dreary, 69*, humidity 84%, we need some sun!!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Happy New Year. Today Jan.1 -current temp 70-partial sun & clouds- light on & off rain. Temps are ok, but sick of the rain. Can't get the ground dried out enough to do some needed grading work around my tractor barn & shop. Something like 68 inches or rain for 2018, almost a record breaker here in Belton SC. We no longer pray for rain down here.:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,329 Posts
Just looking at some of the rainfall reports here, looks like a bunch of us had our butts kicked in 2018. :banghead:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Blue sky +1 temp No snow on the ground period!

My Jonny is yawning and bored in the garage.

Happy New Year! 2019 to everyone. :canada
So is mine. I told him to suck it up and wait for spring.

1 - 20 of 309 Posts