Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the January 2020 weather thread!

The first full moon of the decade this month is on the 10th.

The full Moon for January was called the Full Wolf Moon because wolves were more often heard at this time. It was traditionally thought that they howled due to hunger, but there is no evidence for this. However, wolves do tend to howl more often during winter months, and generally howl to define territory, locate pack members, and gather for hunting.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
29* this morning - calling for a high of 32* today. Finally some normal temps - for today anyway....starting tomorrow looks like a warm up again getting close to 50* for a couple days.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
32° and mostly clouded. It is calm now but was was quite windy last night.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Currently 24. Partly cloudy and high of 38 today. Mid 40’s tomorrow
and Friday for highs.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts

We had a squall warning around 1900 hrs, it finally hit around 2000 hrs, didn't last long but was absolutely blinding and left a dusting to a 1/2" of snow. This current weather pattern is supposed last another 10-15 days and then gradually this brutal cold that is up in Alaska and far north Canada is supposed to work it's way down, then hold on to your knickers for winter to arrive.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

We had a squall warning around 1900 hrs, it finally hit around 2000 hrs, didn't last long but was absolutely blinding and left a dusting to a 1/2" of snow. This current weather pattern is supposed last another 10-15 days and then gradually this brutal cold that is up in Alaska and far north Canada is supposed to work it's way down, then hold on to your knickers for winter to arrive.
I kind of figured that coldest air will make it to us eventually - we’re due....

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
It has just stopped snowing. Despite it snowing most of the afternoon and all through the night, if we have 3” on the ground, that would be on the high side. Our low was 24°, looks like a ho hum weather day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
33*, bright sun, no clouds, 15 mph winds, feels like 22*.

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
Calling for a high of 48* today - that’s a long way to go....
I thought that very thing this morning when I saw our low temp of 22° and the forecast high of 45°. It's up to 28° now, so it's working in the right direction. The sun did come out yesterday enough to make a bare driveway. My son plowing helped that a lot. It looks like rain is in our forecast for tomorrow, that will take care of this snow.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought that very thing this morning when I saw our low temp of 22° and the forecast high of 45°. It's up to 28° now, so it's working in the right direction. The sun did come out yesterday enough to make a bare driveway. My son plowing helped that a lot. It looks like rain is in our forecast for tomorrow, that will take care of this snow.
Still holding at 17.8* here.....

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
Still holding at 17.8* here.....
I hate to say this, but I wish it would either get cold and stay cold, or just stay mild. This up and down is tough to take, you can't get acclimated. Every New Year's Eve, we sit in the hot tub. But with Monday's high temp of 55°, the 30° on Tuesday felt like 15°. We decided it was too cold and stayed inside. Oh well....

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to say this, but I wish it would either get cold and stay cold, or just stay mild. This up and down is tough to take, you can't get acclimated. Every New Year's Eve, we sit in the hot tub. But with Monday's high temp of 55°, the 30° on Tuesday felt like 15°. We decided it was too cold and stayed inside. Oh well....
Oh I agree! I want the old winters of years past where it got cold in November and started snowing - and stayed like that until March.

I distinctly remember there being 2’ of snow in the woods for bear season a couple years which is the week before Thanksgiving.

These ups and downs plays havoc with my RA - cold to warm to cold with the barometric pressure diving and rising.....

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
Oh I agree! I want the old winters of years past where it got cold in November and started snowing - and stayed like that until March.
I thought of you and your comments like these when I posted that pic over in my Station Wagon Thread. It's the pic of all the snow on our barn. It was taken by my grandparents. The date is April 1964 on the pic. That's probably accurate year wise, not sure about the month, but there is a lot of snow regardless.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Well were expecting 3inch of snow this weekend But today Glad the weather is Great have a 2.5hr drive ahead of me today to go pick Up a Garden tractor(not a Deere though) and a 2.5hr ride Back (y)

·
Registered
12,246 Posts

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 221 Posts