Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The full Moon of March rises the same day as the vernal equinox—marking the start of spring! How fitting for what we call the “Full Worm Moon.” March also brings the final supermoon of 2019.

SUPER MOON ON THE SPRING EQUINOX

The March full Moon is particularly special because it reaches its peak on the same day as the spring equinox, on March 20, 2019. The last time the full Moon and the spring equinox coincided this closely (4 hours apart) was in March 2000, but the last time they occurred on the same date was on March 20, 1981!

This full Moon is also a supermoon, meaning the Moon will be nearly at its closest to Earth for the month of March. It’s the year’s third (and final) of three straight full supermoons. This means that the Moon may “appear” brighter and bigger than normal, provided the night sky is clear and dark.

THE FULL MOON AND EASTER

Did you know: Easter Sunday (in the Western church) is celebrated on the first Sunday after the full Moon that occurs on or just after the vernal equinox.

Since the full Moon AND the vernal equinox both fall on March 20 in 2019, you might expect that Easter Sunday would be on the following Sunday, March 24.

However, for simplicity’s sake, the Church set a fixed date for the equinox, March 21. Therefore, Easter Sunday 2019 falls on April 21!

(This is not the first time the church’s “set” equinox and astronomy’s “moving” equinox affected Easter’s date; it last happened in 1981 and will happen again in 2038.)

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Just a bunch of Patchy stuff on the way? Weird report for winter?

Tonight
Patchy freezing fog after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. South wind 5 to 8 mph becoming north after midnight.
Friday
Patchy freezing fog before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 28. North wind 8 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. Wind chill values as low as zero. North wind 8 to 11 mph.
Saturday
Patchy blowing snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Wind chill values as low as zero. Northeast wind around 13 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
Saturday Night
Patchy blowing snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. North wind 14 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
Sunday
Patchy blowing snow. Mostly sunny, with a high near 23.
Sunday Night
Patchy blowing snow. Mostly clear, with a low around 5.
Monday
Patchy blowing snow. Sunny, with a high near 24.
Monday Night
Patchy blowing snow. Mostly clear, with a low around 11.
Tuesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 28.
Tuesday Night
A 10 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.
Wednesday
A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Breezy.
Wednesday Night
A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 23.
Thursday
A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 28.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Our forecast 1-3" of snow yesterday left 8". I decided to blow it today as it was melting in the 20 degree sunshine and promised ice in the wrong places. The ice on the snow banks is already thick enough to walk on without going through, even when I stomp to try to get footiing. Only going down to 6 tonight, not too bad. Rest of the week forecast is typical, teens and twenties at night and teens, twenties or thirty's during the day. Always a chance of snow. Here, if you don't like the forecast just wait ten minutes as it will probably change. Or just change channels. If you like the forecast, you know it won't happen.

You know winter is too long when 20 degrees feels like a warm summer day, and you sweat sitting still without a coat on.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It’s currently 10*. 2-4” of snow expected this afternoon/evening. High in the mid 20s. Forecasted high for Monday is 4*.

20* and sunny feels very warm to me too. The sun does have quite a bite of warming power at this time of year.

·
Registered
319 Posts
-6 here today, 4-6” of snow expected.

·
Registered
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My February stats -

High temp - 53.8*
Low temp - -5.1*
Ave temp - 29.4*
Departure from normal - +2.6*

Rainfall (including snow melt in the rain bucket) - 2.598”
February average - 1.886”
Departure from normal - +0.712”

It seems like it was so cold for so long but the numbers don’t lie as my average temp for the month was +2.6*. Also seems that the precipitation continues to be above normal - will it ever dry out?

————————-

25* this morning - calling for a high of 35* today. Had another 1” of snow overnight - everything is still nice and white and clean.

The forecaster says a “plowable snow” for us on Sunday. At least they seem to coming in agreement that it will be all snow which is great!

D7782198-CD69-4F72-AAD9-8895A9D0D533.png

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
New month, and the month I’ve been waiting for. Clear and cold 10 when I got up. Sunny and high of 35 today. Snow tomorrow but sound like 1 or 2” is all.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New month, and the month I’ve been waiting for. Clear and cold 10 when I got up. Sunny and high of 35 today. Snow tomorrow but sound like 1 or 2” is all.
You made it to March! Counting the days.....how does it feel?

Just imagine being able to spend all your time at your farm!

·
Registered
967 Posts
We are struggling here with the decision to turn on the AC to lower the humidity or not. :banghead:

·
Corndog Hater
11,133 Posts
It's up 10° from our low of 12°, heading to 35°. We had sunny skies yesterday which helped make a lot of the paved surfaces bare. More sun today although some clouds too. I wouldn't call the sky clear now, but bright. The storm on Sunday seems to be tracking more southerly so they are saying about 5" down from the 8" they called for yesterday.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
We are struggling here with the decision to turn on the AC to lower the humidity or not. :banghead:
I just checked my sympathy meter and there was no movement of the needle!! :lol:

32 this morning, high today of 36. Feels real cold after those few days in SC at mid 60's! :banghead: 2" of snow last night, I didn't see that in the forecast yesterday when checking for travel weather. :dunno:

Had to fire the stoker back up this morning. We lost power Monday evening and since I was away the stove didn't get re-lit. Had trouble getting it to draft well even after about an hour. I finally went out and checked the chimney and found the cleanout cap on the bottom had fallen off, popped it back on and the draft went back to normal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Coming in like a lion . . . .

So hopefully we can now look forward to March going out like a lamb????

32 MPH from NNW. 11°F and dropping. Snowing. Now I'll have more to that windblown packed crap to try to blow. And FedEx put my cold weather gear, that I was supposed to get yesterday, on the wrong truck. Murphy is alive and well.

A cab would be nice these days. I'm not going out 'til the wind goes down. But as the wind goes down, so does the temperature. Per the weather guessers the next 6 nights will be -16°F, -25°F, -17°F, -8°F, -3°F, then +1°F.

Enough whining, Have a nice March everyone.

·
Registered
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well March came in like a lamb here. Dead calm this morning with just 1” of fresh snow.

So how does this work? Is it location dependent? If you guys to my northwest had March come in like a lion, and I had March come in like a lamb some 300 miles away - does that mean you get the lamb at the end and I get the lion?

·
Registered
322 Posts
So how does this work? Is it location dependent? If you guys to my northwest had March come in like a lion, and I had March come in like a lamb some 300 miles away - does that mean you get the lamb at the end and I get the lion?
I'm not sure how this works, but am very interested in your shortcut! :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Sun is now just coming out of the clouds and getting brite outside! The Calf is doing OK this morning in his new digs for a while inside a warm building. He will need feeding 3 times a day for a while. The Cow is on the way to the butcher to be ground up into hamburger for the dogs so nothing is going to be wasted. I am sure her 5+ ft spread of horns will be on a few peoples want list cause she was part Watashe and had a big rack! Going up this road near me to look at the snow blower before lunch. Hope I can get to it since it is on the north side of a barn under drifting snow?? Price is right being Free so I can't complain just want to make sure it is not to big for my tractor to use right???

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
You made it to March! Counting the days.....how does it feel?

Just imagine being able to spend all your time at your farm!
Feels awesome, be waiting for this month and year for a long time. 4 more work days.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts