Green Tractor Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the September 2016 edition of the weather thread.

Will the heat continue? - that is the question for a lot of us. July was noted as the hottest month the earth has ever been according to NOAA. I have a feeling that August might equal or surpass that. Long range forecasts show September to be above average also.

Rain - our friends in LA have gotten hammered. What is remarkable is that while we are at the height of hurricane season, the flooding rains that they experienced where not from a tropical system. Other reports from our members in other areas of the country have shown reports of excessive rainfall also.

The full moon in September is on the 16th and is called the Harvest Moon. The following is a copy/paste but found it interesting -

This full moon’s name is attributed to Native Americans because it marked when corn was supposed to be harvested. Most often, the September full moon is actually the Harvest Moon, which is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox. In two years out of three, the Harvest Moon comes in September, but in some years it occurs in October. At the peak of harvest, farmers can work late into the night by the light of this Moon. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice the chief Indian staples are now ready for gathering.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts
Closing the books on August 2016, 15.18" of rain for the month at my house.
I'm guessing the temps were a few degrees below the normal average for August because of the cloud cover and rain.
Lowest temp. recorded this month was 71*, which is kind of unusual for August down here.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Today
A chance of showers, mainly before 9am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. Light and variable wind becoming north 5 to 7 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. North wind around 7 mph.

Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. North wind 7 to 9 mph.

Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 53. North wind 5 to 7 mph.

Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. Northeast wind 5 to 9 mph.

Saturday Night
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll add my rain stats also -

August total - 4.68"
Ave for August - 3.92"

Year to date - 20.94"
Ave year to date - 24.52"

So we are still behind for the year to date by 3.58". We had very little rain in July which is pulling the YTD average down.

-------------------------------------

Cold front pushed through yesterday but the humid stale air is lingering here in the bowl. Low overnight was 64° and holding and still very humid (100%). Forecast shows sunny skies with a high in the lower 70's but will take a while for the new air to push the old air out. That's part of living in a hollow in the mountains.

jpgwebcam.jpg

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Man months just keep clicking by. Cool down here for a couple days. Third cutting hay going down today. 60 this morning, cool and refreshing. Warming back up but hopefully won't last long.

Attachments

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts
Light followed by dark. Same forecast for awhile.
I like that, simple, to the point and always accurate. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Greetings - September 2016 . . . . Starting off the month with much cooler temperatues and on/off :rain: showers. Nothing to speak of so far and I do hope it greens up my lawn and pasture, but it's going to take a whole lot more the the 'not measurable' sprinkle we had yesterday. The forecast looks promising for :rain: now and then, so I have my faith out there.

Current Conditions ~
Curr.PNG

Today's Weather ~
02:Sept.PNG

And The Longer Range Forecast ~
Forecast-a.PNG Forecast-b.PNG

Building pad's about ready, I'd just like to shoot the laser one more time and do some compacting with the :greentractorride: now that we've had a little :rain:.

Pad-1.JPG

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Man did it feel good this morning. 49 when I got up this morning. High 74 today, no humidity. Had to put a sweater on last night cutting hay:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Beautiful day here. Looks like the 5 day is shaping up to boot!

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 11.33.02 AM.png

Hope everyone can enjoy the Labor Day weekend. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Smoky as heil today. 20,000 acre fire 75 miles away decided to give us smoke yesterday and today. Looking for a good wind shift in direction. People are being warned to stay indoors. Sucks.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spectacular! I think I said that yesterday so today I will say glorious!

Yesterday's high was 76°, low humidity and a light breeze. Overnight low was 50° - just perfect! Looks like the temp is going to creep up a little every day - calling for a high of 90° Wednesday and Thursday - guess it's not done with yet.....

Capture_2.jpg

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,266 Posts
Starting with a warm 72°.
Below is what one of the local weather forecasters posted, for the southeast Louisiana area.

The start of the holiday weekend will see mainly dry conditions with hot afternoon temperatures. Only iso'd showers and t-storms are in the forecast for Saturday afternoon. With a low rain chance, afternoon temperatures will climb into the low to mid 90°s. A weak front will climb to the north out of the Gulf of Mexico opening the area up to slightly higher rain chances for the rest of the Labor Day weekend. Sunday will see sct'd afternoon and early evening showers and t-storms. Sct'd to numerous showers and storms will be possible late Monday morning into the evening. With higher rain chances, afternoon highs should be around 90°. Rain chances will diminish as we move through the remainder of next week. - Jeff Morrow / WAFB First Alert Storm Team

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Hermined

Tropical storm Hermine is making her presence felt but isn't too pushy here. Light rain, some wind but nothing bad, in fact we need the rain. Hoping the damage in NC wasn't too bad but the track put the Outer Banks really subject to beach erosion. Saw some pix of bad beach erosion further south.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Another beautiful cool morning here. 45 when I got up. Going to 76 today and very low humidity for today and tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.