Green Tractor Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the September 2019 weather thread!

The full moon is on the 14th this month and is called the Full Harvest Moon.

This full Moon corresponds with the time of harvesting corn. It has also called the Barley Moon, because it is the time to harvest and thresh the ripened barley.

The Harvest Moon is an astronomical name and refers to the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumnal equinox. It can occur in either September or October. Near the autumnal equinox, the Moon rises only about 30 minutes later each night, instead of about 50 minutes, providing a few evenings of extra light after sunset for farmers to continue harvesting. At this time of year, crops such as corn, pumpkins, squash, and wild rice are ready for gathering.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,319 Posts
Ended August with 11.98" of rain, at least we didn't break over a foot for any month this year....... yet.
August was the pits rain wise , but lots better than August 2017.:laugh:

Year to date 45.09".

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
No rain in in the mountains of Southwest Va. According to a local weather station we've only had around 3" for the month of August. It's pretty dry. I hope the weather turns a little wetter here. Got all of this winter's firewood cut. Hopefully I don't have to use much of it this winter. And great info on the post Coaltrain!

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
55* this morning - humidity only at 98% this morning....calling for a high of 69* today with some occasional afternoon rain. More rain overnight tonight.

I don’t have an accurate monthly rain total for August as I only installed my new weather station the first week. But what I have...

August 2019 - 3.40”
August 2018 - 1.91”

672E476B-1B30-456F-957C-06F8FD1EE133.png

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Ahhh September. Bye bye August :clapping:. 56 and much needed light rain this morning. Not much but anything helps. Only 2.03” of rain for August. Rain ending this morning and high of 71. I see 4 days next week that highs aren’t even going to make 70’s :yahoo:.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
64* and sticky humid this morning - calling for a high of 74* today with some afternoon rain.

Waiting for the cold front to come through Wednesday morning - looks like highs in the 60’s this coming weekend.

C41AAC49-5A38-4504-BD5D-A676407D51A3.png

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It’s currently 60* , forecasted to be in the mid 70s today.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
61 now and clear. Little more humid this morning with a high of 78 today. Thunderstorms possible tonight into tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
60* this morning with heavy fog - calling for a high of 79* today. Looks like the last day in the near future that the temp will be above 75*.

B40428FF-F6B2-4F55-8F16-99780B3D633F.png

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
60 here and rain north of us. Rain this morning and thunderstorms this afternoon ahead of a cold front. High of 79 today then highs in to low 70’s and upper 60’s for the next 7 days. :good2:.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hurricane Dorian

Well, the weather has finally started just a bit here in Orlando with very scattered heavy rain but its still 85 degrees. Not expecting too much severe weather but that can always change as the storm runs up the coast. House is all prepped for the worst as this our first hurricane in Orlando but 2nd one in 3 seasons. I had to build all of the window protection from scratch. Last home in south Florida had hurricane shutters so prep was very easy. Very tired of waiting and wondering if its going to stay off the coast..

IMG_3201.jpg
IMG_3202.jpg

Shed is about 85% complete but no doors on it yet so had to board it up as well

IMG_3200.jpg

Also installed a 6 position tranfer switch for the generator to run the well and septic along with 2 bedrooms/1 bath, part of the kitchen along with the entertainment wall with the TV and internet hub. I have a Predator 9000 generator plus 50ft of generator cord to get it out of the garage and away from the house. We will not have a/c but we can do without for a few days if need be.....Well I can, not sure how the GF will hold up w/o it .....:dunno:

IMG_3187.jpg
IMG_3188.jpg

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the weather has finally started just a bit here in Orlando with very scattered heavy rain but its still 85 degrees. Not expecting too much severe weather but that can always change as the storm runs up the coast. House is all prepped for the worst as this our first hurricane in Orlando but 2nd one in 3 seasons. I had to build all of the window protection from scratch. Last home in south Florida had hurricane shutters so prep was very easy. Very tired of waiting and wondering if its going to stay off the coast

Shed is about 85% complete but no doors on it yet so had to board it up as well

Also installed a 6 position tranfer switch for the generator to run the well and septic along with 2 bedrooms/1 bath, part of the kitchen along with the entertainment wall with the TV and internet hub. I have a Predator 9000 generator plus 50ft of generator cord to get it out of the garage and away from the house. We will not have a/c but we can do without for a few days if need be.....Well I can, not sure how the GF will hold up w/o it .....:dunno:

View attachment 703206
View attachment 703204
That’s a lot of work but glad to see you are prepared. Did you make your shutters so you can reuse them?

How do you like that generator switch. That’s the one I am likely going to get - similar anyway - Reliance Controls on Amazon -

Amazon.com : Reliance Controls Corporation 31406CRK 30 Amp 6-circuit Pro/Tran Transfer Switch Kit for Generators (7500 Watts). : Manual Transfer Switch : Garden Outdoor

·
Registered
292 Posts
Current state of Dorian in relation to me, the blue dot to the left of the center ......

Image-1.jpg

·
Registered
292 Posts
That’s a lot of work but glad to see you are prepared. Did you make your shutters so you can reuse them?

How do you like that generator switch. That’s the one I am likely going to get - similar anyway - Reliance Controls on Amazon -

Amazon.com : Reliance Controls Corporation 31406CRK 30 Amp 6-circuit Pro/Tran Transfer Switch Kit for Generators (7500 Watts). : Manual Transfer Switch : Garden Outdoor
Made shutters to reuse them. They fit into the window wells and are held in by Windfast Hurricane clips that are mfg here in Orlando. I will number all of wood before taking it down so that when I need them again, I can just put them up. Hurricane clips are reuseable as well.

https://www.ebay.com/i/153514114887?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=153514114887&targetid=596465683628&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9011806&poi=&campaignid=1689407486&mkgroupid=74365778148&rlsatarget=pla-596465683628&abcId=1140476&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxpek_fu15AIVi5OzCh1-nwgdEAkYASABEgLQk_D_BwE

As for the generator switch, I got it at HD. Model 3006HDK. It was very easy to install and I would recommend it even though I have only used it under a short test run last night. I wish they had a 8 bay unit but its just 6 and 10. I am toying about installing another 6 bay to run the a/c

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stay safe Brendan! Thanks for the details of your preparation.

—————-

60* this morning - had a brief downpour around 4am. Looks like another chance of a quick downpour as the front passes later this morning - then a high of 77* which I doubt we will see. Then highs in the lower 70’s for the foreseeable future.

CF428879-F238-40D9-9523-6A62369DE966.png

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It’s currently 53* forecasted high for today is 67*. Looks like fall is here a bit early this year.

I got 1.8” rain yesterday. We really didn’t need the rain as it’s been pretty wet around here. I realize we’re better off weather wise than some .

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Brendan be safe down there. Hopefully the worst will miss you. :pray:
————————————

Little rain here yesterday and last night had a thunderstorm come threw. 1/2” in gauge this morning. Looks like a great extended forecast for the next 7-10 days with highs in low 70’s- Upper 60’s. :good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks guys for the well wishes. The storm has pasted with very little impact, not even any power loss. Some 35mph gusts and rain. It was a huge relief as to compaired to what they were saying we were going to get a week ago which was a direct hit from a CAT 4 hurricane.

This was the postion just about 30 min ago. Going to get outside this afternoon and start getting the shutters down. They have been up almost a week and I am tired of a dark house

Image-1 (2).jpg

And of coarse, I am praying for the folks in the Bahamas as they got the worst of Dorian for sure..

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.