Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good HP/weight ratio that is used for a Disc? I'm looking at two models offered by JBar Manufacturing. I'm looking at their models since I will be using them only a few times a year. They look built fairly well and are cheaper than the landpride, king kutter etc.

I'm looking pretty hard at the B700 with a 6' wide cut. They weigh in at 850lbs. Is that too heavy? The step down is actually 6 1/2' wide and 560lbs.

Untitled Page

Probably going to throw in a rotary cutter as well and he said he can get a 5' heavy duty dual rear wheel rotary cutter and the heavy duty B700 disc for 2600 out the door.

Any and all input is much appreciated:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
A disc is a poor mans attempt at doing work a tiller can do,,
why buy a disc when you already have a tiller?? :dunno:

If you do get the disc, get a moldboard plow at the same time, they are used together,,,:good2:

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disc is to be used down at my Hunt club. Don't really need a perfect seed bed that my tiller can produce, plus I don't want to tear up my tiller down at the Hunt club. The disc would be faster to prep an ok seed bed.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Disk size will depend more on weight/traction than HP, IMO.

Your 2032 should easily be able to lift 850 lbs on the 3 point, so I don't think it's too heavy.
Also, weight is your friend with a disc. More is better. 6' should not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disk size will depend more on weight/traction than HP, IMO.
Very true. I hope someone with a similar weight/size tractor with a set of discs will provide some insight

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
The weight of the disk is not the issue. Traction is your main issue. I use an 8ft tandem disk that weighs 750# and have to use 4WD on my 4066R. Leave the bucket on the loader and maybe fill it with dirt or something heavy for better traction in 4WD. The second thing is to make sure that you have enough width to cover your tracks when you have it angled. My 8ft disk barely covers my tracks when angled and the tractor is 6ft wide. In A drive, you will have enough power, provided you have the traction.

Dave

·
Registered
592 Posts
A disc is a poor mans attempt at doing work a tiller can do,,
why buy a disc when you already have a tiller?? :dunno:

If you do get the disc, get a moldboard plow at the same time, they are used together,,,:good2:
Apparently you haven’t used a disc much and are not aware of the benefits of using them. They have a place in tillage work, where a tiller does not. A tiller is designed more as a finishing tillage piece of equipment. I have farmed with discs and know millionaire farmers who use a disc. It is not a “poor mans” piece of equipment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is there a good HP/weight ratio that is used for a Disc? I'm looking at two models offered by JBar Manufacturing. I'm looking at their models since I will be using them only a few times a year. They look built fairly well and are cheaper than the landpride, king kutter etc.

I'm looking pretty hard at the B700 with a 6' wide cut. They weigh in at 850lbs. Is that too heavy? The step down is actually 6 1/2' wide and 560lbs.

Untitled Page

Probably going to throw in a rotary cutter as well and he said he can get a 5' heavy duty dual rear wheel rotary cutter and the heavy duty B700 disc for 2600 out the door.

Any and all input is much appreciated:bigthumb:
I only had access to an 8' transport disc, the 2038 struggled a little bit in really wet soil. You should be fine with a 6'.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I only had access to an 8' transport disc, the 2038 struggled a little bit in really wet soil. You should be fine with a 6'.
Wow, you were able to pull that 8' pull-type offset disk with a 2038R? That soil looked wet too! I'm quite surprised.

A pull-type (wheel) disk will be MUCH heavier than a 3 point mounted disk. More weight helps the disk to cut deeper...which is good.
However, it also makes it pull harder.
Looking at the Rhino Ag website, most of their 3 point disks are about 35 lbs per blade, and their pull-type wheel disks are about 95lb per blade.
Significantly different.

I also think this contributes to the conflicting views in earlier posts about the effectiveness of a disk. The "millionaire" that uses a disk almost certainly uses a heavy pull-type disk. There isn't much more effective and efficient at covering lots of acres than a heavy pull-type disk.
...and folks who know me recognize how much I love my tiller.

Tim

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, you were able to pull that 8' pull-type offset disk with a 2038R? That soil looked wet too! I'm quite surprised.

A pull-type (wheel) disk will be MUCH heavier than a 3 point mounted disk. More weight helps the disk to cut deeper...which is good.
However, it also makes it pull harder.
Looking at the Rhino Ag website, most of their 3 point disks are about 35 lbs per blade, and their pull-type wheel disks are about 95lb per blade.
Significantly different.

I also think this contributes to the conflicting views in earlier posts about the effectiveness of a disk. The "millionaire" that uses a disk almost certainly uses a heavy pull-type disk. There isn't much more effective and efficient at covering lots of acres than a heavy pull-type disk.
...and folks who know me recognize how much I love my tiller.

Tim
Hi Tim, big follower of your vids. Yes it did pull it, definitely got easier the second day we worked our food plots when it was dryer, we had 2" of rain the night before this picture. It wasn't a lack of power, more of a traction issue even with the loaded tires. Will try to post video if I can figure out how to do it....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Big, you'll have absolutely no problem with 6' discs, I pull 5.5' Frontier DH1066 with my tractor with no trouble. I actually wish mine were a little heavier, I did look at the 1166's when I bought mine, they are about 200# heavier than mine but the same width. As mentioned, with these tractors, traction is going to be a bigger issue than HP.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm going to head over next week to check them out in person and undoubtedly will have a better idea in person than looking at them on the internet. I'll take some pictures and post. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more thing.... there is an option to order with greasable or sealed bearings. What would be the best for disc? I would assume the greasable would be better.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Only if you grease on time

One more thing.... there is an option to order with greasable or sealed bearings. What would be the best for disc? I would assume the greasable would be better.
The sealed bearings aren't a bad thing. Those bearings are basically running in abrasive dirt and a greasable bearing either has a way for grease to leave the bearing or it soon will if you overgrease. That leaves the bearing with a way for that grit to get inside. The solution is to grease regularly and force the gritty grease out.

A good sealed bearing will last a very long time because the grit doesn't get inside. Either way, if a bearing goes it's usually a serious PITA to change gang bearings, particularly on a large gang.

I agree with the others that traction is more of an issue than power but I think we usually ran about 4-5 hp per foot width of disk, depending on the type of disk. An offset disk cutting deep will take more power. A finishing disk on the final run takes less. If at all possible, make sure the disk covers your wheel tracks. If the soil is too wet, go take care of a chore for your wife, go fishing or otherwise occupy your time. You will only compact the soil and generally make a mess trying to disc when it's too wet. The good news is a day or two of sunshine makes a huge difference and what was too wet yesterday may be fine today.

A disc is a simple appearing implement but running one is more complicated than it looks. There's the angle of the gangs, the relative cutting depth of front gang vs. rear gang, the depth of cut and importantly the speed you are pulling it. Running it too slow and you really don't do a good job. Run it too fast and you end up with ridges where the front gang throws soil beyond the reach of the rear gang. Get it just right and you end up with a nice level seedbed much, much faster than you can do with a tiller using less fuel and stress on the tractor.

I like a disc, unfortunately the only one on the farm would have to be cut in quarters or more for my 790 to pull it. If I buy a 6' or so disc, it will be a 3 ph not because it does a better job but because it will be for fire lanes and wildlife patches and easier to transport and maneuver is awkward spots than a pull type which can take a lot more space to turn around.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
7 Posts
I pull a 3pt 5.5 frontier. Plenty of power. Traction not a problem in 4x but makes front a little light when turning. I keep bucket on but sometimes grab a scoop of gravel to help when turning if muddy. I use scrapers on mine because on bottom ground and sometimes quite muddy.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pull a 3pt 5.5 frontier. Plenty of power. Traction not a problem in 4x but makes front a little light when turning. I keep bucket on but sometimes grab a scoop of gravel to help when turning if muddy. I use scrapers on mine because on bottom ground and sometimes quite muddy.

What tractor are you pulling it with?

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
What tractor are you pulling it with?
And which set of discs do you have, I have the 1066's but wish I had bought the 1166's.

Reactions: Herminator and Big

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And which set of discs do you have, I have the 1066's but wish I had bought the 1166's.
Just noticed his name, BWjd3038e. So I'm guessing he's using a 3038e.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts