Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at adding an HPX 4X4 Diesel to my collection. A utility vehicle will really come in handy at my property in Maine.

I wanted to get some feedback on folks who have one of these Deere utility vehicles or similar.

Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've been active looking into a Gator. Now I'm debating between the HPX 4X4 Diesel vs the XUV 625i Gas.

Some differences between the two models are;

Gas Model = 617cc, 23HP, Liquid cool, EFI, Front suspension is fully independent dual A-Arm with adjust coils, rear is same with sway bar. Tow cap. 1500 lbs, standard 2-in. receiver

Diesel Model = 854cc, 19HP, Liquid cool, 3 cylinder inline, liquid cool, Front suspension is independent with McPherson strut, rear is coil over shock. Tow cap. 1300lbs, optional 1.25-in. receiver

Both models are priced the same.

Tough decisions to make!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It depends on what your going to do with it.. If its just a ride around machine then the 620 or newer might be a better choice with how they ride. 4 wheel independent will ride much nicer.. Now if your going to do some heavy work with it, then the HPX is the way to go.. The HPX has coil springs on the rear, much stronger to haul loads of dirt or gravel...

Mine has the power dump, and it plays with loads of dirt!!

photobucket-5219-1343249008389.jpg photobucket-978-1343249007413.jpg photobucket-4708-1343249003606.jpg photobucket-4529-1343246465159.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gas version has slightly higher tow rating, better suspension, better wheels and tires, more HP and actually slightly cheaper. I sat on the gas version today and it sits higher than the diesel. Has 9" travel compared to diesel with 6" travel.

I believe it's a Kawasaki engine. Need to find out the satisfaction level on actual owners out there. I know a friend that has the diesel on his farm and it's a tank, can handle almost anything. Now the XUV is a crossover. This also appeals to me because I will not be using it for all work, it'll be great having that option to go out with friends and play - after all we do work to live right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I test drove the 625i yesterday. I like the fact it's a crossover gator.

I guess I expected a little more get up and go from it, albeit, the dealer (salesman) forgot to add gas in it, even after I mentioned the gator is really low on gas and 1min later it ran out of gas. Then he suggested I test drive the 825i and guess what? after I mentioned this unit is also low on gas, it too ran out of gas about 1.5min into my test drive - figuring he'd get it right and go get gas, he opted to tell me he'd get some gas later on just prior to closing - one truly can't make this stuff up.

I sent him an email later that evening basically telling him that I'm prepared to give him a second chance after he made some serious rookie mistakes for being a John Deere dealer. He acknowledged his mistakes, apologized and promised to make it right next time I go in for my second test drive - I will keep you guys informed.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I test drove the 625i yesterday. I like the fact it's a crossover gator.

I guess I expected a little more get up and go from it, albeit, the dealer (salesman) forgot to add gas in it, even after I mentioned the gator is really low on gas and 1min later it ran out of gas. Then he suggested I test drive the 825i and guess what? after I mentioned this unit is also low on gas, it too ran out of gas about 1.5min into my test drive - figuring he'd get it right and go get gas, he opted to tell me he'd get some gas later on just prior to closing - one truly can't make this stuff up.

I sent him an email later that evening basically telling him that I'm prepared to give him a second chance after he made some serious rookie mistakes for being a John Deere dealer. He acknowledged his mistakes, apologized and promised to make it right next time I go in for my second test drive - I will keep you guys informed.
It was not a mistake. It is part of what they call inventory retention program, the thief can't get to far that way.:lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Today I test drove the RSX850i.

HOLY SMOKES this model Gator is truly amazing!!! When you look at the specs it's almost identical to the XUV825I with regards to the tow capacity - however it only gets better.

It sports a Piaggio (Italian motor co.) 840cc engine, EFI, 63HP, 0-53MPH, 1200lbs tow capacity. Will do all required duties around my camp, plus offer the ability to take it on the trails for a fun day of riding.

A pretty impressive machine.

So, I've test drove the XUV625i, XUV825i, XUV855D (diesel) and RSX850i

The 625i and 825i truly feels like it lacks power, they're comfortable and has a spacious cargo box area but it has no torque whatsoever.

The 855D is a monster power house with the Yanmar diesel engine, but will not offer the fun aspect on the trails.

The 850i sports the best of both worlds. Has a tremedous amount of torque, will reach 53MPH is a flash, sports FOX shocks and hauling a snowmobile trailer with 2 snowmobiles inside was effortless and I'm sure towing a boat around your property or launching it would be easy going. Has excellent breaking capabilities, but without power steering gets a little tough to turn when travelling at slow speeds only. A little smaller in size than the XUV models, but with the sport seats makes for a very comfortable ride. The dashboard is excellent with great visual on your screen. The cargo box area is a little smaller than the XUV models but not by a lot. Believe when I tell you it sounds like a monster, honestly I thought my dealer had installed a custom exhaust system but it was stock and had an impressive roar about it.

This is turning out to be a toucher than antipiated decision. I will be test driving the RSX850i again next week.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts