Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally reached my limit with Frontier. With a trouble ticket from 21 December 2018 now scheduled for 21 January 2019, I'm done. I have avoided satellite internet, but I believe it is the best choice. AT&T Wireless does not serve our area, I assume because of poor cell service. Verizon cell service is not much better.

So, does anyone have Hughes Net 5 or know of anyone who has used it? If anyone can offer any advice, I would appreciate it. I plan to have something done or at least started by the end of the week.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Registered
We do have Hughes Net Gen 5. As far as reliability the only time we have lost service was one of the storms last March when the snow came straight up the valley out of the south. I went out and bushed the snow off and back in business. Rain doesn't bother like it sometimes does with Dish Network.
We pay $61/month for 20 gb highspeed but it is unlimited with reduced speed, the few times we have gone over our 20 gb's I have not really noticed much of a slowdown except if you were trying to stream or watch videos on YouTube.
It is not super fast but it gets the job done for our needs, and besides, like you we are very limited to our choices. My biggest issue is that there should be rollover from unused gb's, many months we may only use 17-18 and we lose them.
But again, this is not hardwired internet speed like Tim Warner/Spectrum but it get's the job done for us.

It is what it is when you have limited choices, we've learned to live it.

Hope this helps

Registered
I dont know if Viasat is available to you, but that's what we have. Just checked plans and pricing with Hughes net and it is much more expensive here.

Currently with Viasat(Exede) we have a 25 mbps, unlimited GB plan for $110. The "unlimited" part is 150 GB of priority data, then they may deprioritize you during periods of network congestion once you pass that. Not a problem for us, as we dont come close to that. I subscribed to netflix last week to see if it would be a viable alternative to Directv, which hits us for about $115. Checked usage yesterday and we should end up somewhere shy of 100 GB streaming about 2 hours per day, plus our normal usage. Probably going to cut the satellite TV cord this month.

Hughes net for my address is $149 for 50 GB at 25 mbps.

Overall it has been trouble free. Had one issue about a week after it was installed, but no problems in the almost 5 years since. Fast enough to stream at dvd quality from Netflix. YouTube videos work well. Havent tried Amazon video yet. Plan availability seems to change frequently, so I'd check often for one of the unlimited or or other 150 GB plan. If you can catch it and sign up, you're grandfathered in when pricing changes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Registered
I dont know if Viasat is available to you, but that's what we have. Just checked plans and pricing with Hughes net and it is much more expensive here.
Huh, we just got a card from Viasat Friday in the mail, we locked in a real good price with Hughes but that we likely change in a few months when our 2 year contract is up. But in our area the 50 gb plan is $129/month with Hughes, and my wife just checked that price in our account.

Registered
This brings back memories. We had no internet service at our house so I eneded up being a beta tester for what was then known as DirecPC in the late 90鈥檚. Then in the 2000鈥檚 it became DirecWay - then in 2004 became HughesNet Gen 4.

HughesNet designs, builds, and launches the satellites for their service along with DirecTV.

What does all this mean to me? That they have been in the business for a fairly long time and should be a stable company. As with anything service behind the sale (or subscription in this case) is always important.

As Pat said - it is what it is. It鈥檚 a bit expensive but for rural people it is a godsend in a way as the only way to obtain internet service. In these times we live in it has almost become a necessity as much as a telephone was way back when.

The worst aspect I think is the cap per month. But if you budget your usage you鈥檒l be fine.

If I lost my great cable service for some reason I wouldn鈥檛 hesitate to go back to satellite. I would have to change some of my ways like relying on streaming for all my TV. Other than that I would just have to monitor my usage to stay within the monthly cap.

I haven鈥檛 looked - do they have some sort of trial period? I鈥檓 kind of doubtful as there is quite an expensive system they install to get you started. That is why they demand a contract. Back when I was a beta tester I paid for my dish and modem at their cost which was ~$600 back then. I鈥檓 sure it鈥檚 a lot more expensive now.

I鈥檓 following along here - let us know if you plan to try it. This kind of stuff interests me. I always though it was pretty amazing that every time you click your mouse the signal travels 23,000 miles.

Registered
Folks across the street moved about a year ago to a house over looking a lake out in the woods. real nice. No cable TV or internet. They figured the 25mb download of satellite would be more than enough. The problem is the upload delay, the wife did facetime with the grandkid alot and the satellite sucked. Also download speed would drop real slow and tech support would be like heavy traffic in the area, sorry.

They finally had DSl line installed. Speed is slow but low lag times and is working out for them.

Look at DSL if available, you may have to have dial tone line along with it. You will need to check with your local ma bell

Kevin

Registered
I would check for any terrestrial internet providers and all possible cellular carriers before resorting to satellite internet.

- bucket teeth
I believe he has exhausted any and all other possibilities.

Administrator
Look at DSL if available, you may have to have dial tone line along with it. You will need to check with your local ma bell

Kevin
That's what he has now...and Frontier is his local "ma bell"

Registered
We had the Directway (aka: Hughes gen 4) about the same time Stan (coaltrain) did. It beat the heck out of dial-up, and compared well with the DSL we had at the business. Now, this was before streaming video came to be. My big disappoint came with a VPN (virtual private network) connection to the server at my business. This would allow my home PCs to be a remote client on the business network. Directway wouldn't support the VPN tunnel. A VPN tunnel is encrypted data and Hughes utilized a proprietary compression algorithm on their up/down link stream to obtain the data speed. The compression would result in the encrypted data not being recoverable. So this could still be an issue, if you have such a need.

Registered
I have finally reached my limit with Frontier. With a trouble ticket from 21 December 2018 now scheduled for 21 January 2019, I'm done. I have avoided satellite internet, but I believe it is the best choice. AT&T Wireless does not serve our area, I assume because of poor cell service. Verizon cell service is not much better.

So, does anyone have Hughes Net 5 or know of anyone who has used it? If anyone can offer any advice, I would appreciate it. I plan to have something done or at least started by the end of the week.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
I really feel for you having to deal with Frontier. We have them just for landline phone and they cannot even keep that working right, nearly every time it rains our phone gets so much static on the line it's virtually unusable till everything dries out. I can't imagine having to depend on them for internet.

I have a cousin who has HughesNet and she's fairly happy with it since her only alternative is dial-up but about all she uses it for is Facebook and email. A friend of mine had HughesNet for a while but was never happy with it and finally found a line-of-sight wireless company that he could get service from and changed to that.

We've had cable broadband for several years now and I swear if anything happened that we could no longer get it I would seriously consider moving. It's just ridiculous that everyone cannot have access to decent internet service no matter where they live.

Premium Member
I really feel for you having to deal with Frontier. We have them just for landline phone and they cannot even keep that working right, nearly every time it rains our phone gets so much static on the line it's virtually unusable till everything dries out. I can't imagine having to depend on them for internet.

I have a cousin who has HughesNet and she's fairly happy with it since her only alternative is dial-up but about all she uses it for is Facebook and email. A friend of mine had HughesNet for a while but was never happy with it and finally found a line-of-sight wireless company that he could get service from and changed to that.

We've had cable broadband for several years now and I swear if anything happened that we could no longer get it I would seriously consider moving. It's just ridiculous that everyone cannot have access to decent internet service no matter where they live.
That's where I was a year or so ago. Had HughesNet for a very short period of time, found a line of sight broadband provider and haven't looked back. The latency on HughesNet was huge and the download and upload speeds varied so much from minute to minute that it was practically unusable for me. When I called to cancel they told me that I just hadn't given them a chance to get it tuned correctly at which point I asked why the installer left my home without ensuring that it worked properly. They canceled my service with no charges and sent the installer back to take it down and package everything back up. They were pleasant to deal with but for whatever reason it just wasn't right for me or my location or something.

Registered
We had DirecWay at our old house. As others have said, the latency is the big issue. The cap is a problem, too. We never tried to do any streaming back then. We had DirecTV and used the DVR and the mail order DVDs to negate the need for streaming. That said, by 2008 we gave up on Hughesnet and were using Verizon Wireless data services (back then it was only 3G) and the reduced latency made up for the slow speeds. By 2009 we gave up on terrestrial broadband and ended up shopping for a new address! Yes, our primary reason for moving was broadband access. I really can't imagine depending on satellite for broadband. The latency and "fair access policy" were just too limiting for us.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I would check for any terrestrial internet providers and all possible cellular carriers before resorting to satellite internet.

- bucket teeth

That's what I have now with only one provider. Spectrum cable terminates less than a quarter mile from my house. As I typed that I need to contact them again to see if they will consider extending now that there are more houses. I'm sure they would if my nieghbors and I pay for the cable and poles.

Folks across the street moved about a year ago to a house over looking a lake out in the woods. real nice. No cable TV or internet. They figured the 25mb download of satellite would be more than enough. The problem is the upload delay, the wife did facetime with the grandkid alot and the satellite sucked. Also download speed would drop real slow and tech support would be like heavy traffic in the area, sorry.

They finally had DSl line installed. Speed is slow but low lag times and is working out for them.

Kevin
As Kenny and Stan say, DSL is what I have now. Frontier as a provider stinks. Tech is now scheduled for a week from today. That is from a repair ticket from 21 DEC 18.

Is Frontier part of Hughes?

Frontier Satellite Internet
I have to read this. I hope they are not connected. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll let you know what we decide on. My wife uses internet for wastebook, banking and shopping. I use it for email and primarily GTT. She watches Netflix on weekends when I watch college football or NASCAR. My neighbor has the one that was EXEDE and he is not overly happy with it.

Registered
I guess I live a different life - the comments on moving just to have broadband internet kind of blew my mind.

While I admit that I use my cable internet quite a bit - and am very fortunate to have it where I live - I would never move just to have it. I鈥檝e lived before without out it and could very easily do it again. Heck we lived off grid (that means no utilities like electricity) and could do that again also.

Registered

That's what I have now with only one provider. Spectrum cable terminates less than a quarter mile from my house. As I typed that I need to contact them again to see if they will consider extending now that there are more houses. I'm sure they would if my neighbors and I pay for the cable and poles.

As Kenny and Stan say, DSL is what I have now. Frontier as a provider stinks. Tech is now scheduled for a week from today. That is from a repair ticket from 21 DEC 18.

I have to read this. I hope they are not connected. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll let you know what we decide on. My wife uses internet for wastebook, banking and shopping. I use it for email and primarily GTT. She watches Netflix on weekends when I watch college football or NASCAR. My neighbor has the one that was EXEDE and he is not overly happy with it.
Don, from what I see in reading at the link to Frontier, they simply "partnered" with Hughes Net according to their information, to try and at least get some of the revenue in their area for customers who don't have other choices. Also, the dates on that page seem to imply it was written in 2012 or 2013 so I don't even think it's a current page as a lot has changed in 5 years in the internet. They talk about Hughes "latest satellite" having been launched as if it were a recent even, and the date they reference was almost 6 years ago........

I wouldn't let the arrangement with Frontier impede your change. You would likely go directly to Hughes Net for service anyways, and you wouldn't involve Frontier if held at gunpoint, but let's not give them any ideas..

What do most of your immediate neighbors do for internet or are the majority of them also held hostage by Frontier?

Registered
We do have Hughes Net Gen 5. As far as reliability the only time we have lost service was one of the storms last March when the snow came straight up the valley out of the south. I went out and bushed the snow off and back in business. Rain doesn't bother like it sometimes does with Dish Network.
We pay $61/month for 20 gb highspeed but it is unlimited with reduced speed, the few times we have gone over our 20 gb's I have not really noticed much of a slowdown except if you were trying to stream or watch videos on YouTube.
It is not super fast but it gets the job done for our needs, and besides, like you we are very limited to our choices. My biggest issue is that there should be rollover from unused gb's, many months we may only use 17-18 and we lose them.
But again, this is not hardwired internet speed like Tim Warner/Spectrum but it get's the job done for us.

It is what it is when you have limited choices, we've learned to live it.

Hope this helps
I find myself agreeing with PJ on this one. I have the same service and have been really happy with it. I type with one finger and really think before I type so speed is not a real issue. Besides I am retired and the only time I move fast is to dinner or the bathroom!:laugh:

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Don, from what I see in reading at the link to Frontier, they simply "partnered" with Hughes Net according to their information, to try and at least get some of the revenue in their area for customers who don't have other choices. Also, the dates on that page seem to imply it was written in 2012 or 2013 so I don't even think it's a current page as a lot has changed in 5 years in the internet. They talk about Hughes "latest satellite" having been launched as if it were a recent even, and the date they reference was almost 6 years ago........

I wouldn't let the arrangement with Frontier impede your change. You would likely go directly to Hughes Net for service anyways, and you wouldn't involve Frontier if held at gunpoint, but let's not give them any ideas..

What do most of your immediate neighbors do for internet or are the majority of them also held hostage by Frontier?
I had the same thought, Sulley Bear.

We are all held hostage except one neighbor who has EXEDE or whatever the replacement name is. He is not overjoyed with it, which is what led me to Hughes Net.

Registered
I guess I live a different life - the comments on moving just to have broadband internet kind of blew my mind.

While I admit that I use my cable internet quite a bit - and am very fortunate to have it where I live - I would never move just to have it. I鈥檝e lived before without out it and could very easily do it again. Heck we lived off grid (that means no utilities like electricity) and could do that again also.
As they say, different strokes for different folks. I pretty much grew up "off the grid" ('course there wasn't as much "grid" to be off of back then) and I've never had any desire to go back to that.

I really like having paved roads, electricity, running water, bathrooms, phone service, television, broadband internet, easy access to shopping and medical care, etc., and would not willingly give up any of them. I want my privacy by being out of the city but not so far out as to be problematic, especially at my age.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts