Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have family that lives in Panama City Fl. Michael was not gentle to them. Much of their house roof gone, all trees in the yard down, outbuildings down. I'm not sure where they spent the night.

I may be headed to Florida to see what I can do to help. Communication is very spotty but I think they are uninjured, at least the last I heard they were ok.

Treefarmer

·
Administrator
20,466 Posts
This is going to be very devastating for many folks down there. If you go down, please be careful. I hope your friends and family are ok. You’re a damn good man for helping out. :good2:

·
Corndog Hater
11,472 Posts
This is going to be very devastating for many folks down there. If you go down, please be careful. I hope your friends and family are ok. You’re a damn good man for helping out. :good2:
X2!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have family that lives in Panama City Fl. Michael was not gentle to them. Much of their house roof gone, all trees in the yard down, outbuildings down. I'm not sure where they spent the night.

I may be headed to Florida to see what I can do to help. Communication is very spotty but I think they are uninjured, at least the last I heard they were ok.

Treefarmer
Be careful and hopefully your family is Ok. Good luck, :pray:praying for everyone in Michael’s path.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts

X3----have it turned to the weather channel now--this baby leveled about anything in it's path. good luck-tree farmer:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Good luck Treefarmer. Prayers for your family and others that were affected by the hurricane.

Michael came through our area last night. Really just a bunch of rain and a bit windy by the time it reached us. 20mph with 35mph gust's.

·
Registered
681 Posts
We just got our power back on here. It was off for about 12 hours. Not too bad, but I still hooked up the generator and used it for about 6 or 7 hours. Didn't get tons or rain, just a lot of wind gusts. It was down to cat 1 status by the time it came over. No major wind damage this year in my yard. Last year I had a tree miss the house by about a foot.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news

Sometime today my sister borrowed a phone and got a text through saying they are ok. About 1/3rd of their roof is gone along with all the trees and outbuildings but they are ok.

For those who are interested, NOAA opened up satellite imagery of that area to the public. Here's a link to Mexico Beach, which thankfully my sister was not in but the damage is terrific: Hurricane MICHAEL Imagery

Some of the younger members of the family are on the road to help them out now. I'll see what the reports are.

Thanks to all for the prayers. They were answered.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
14,383 Posts
Be careful and hopefully your family is Ok. Good luck, :pray:praying for everyone in Michael’s path.
X2

Sometime today my sister borrowed a phone and got a text through saying they are ok. About 1/3rd of their roof is gone along with all the trees and outbuildings but they are ok.

For those who are interested, NOAA opened up satellite imagery of that area to the public. Here's a link to Mexico Beach, which thankfully my sister was not in but the damage is terrific: Hurricane MICHAEL Imagery

Some of the younger members of the family are on the road to help them out now. I'll see what the reports are.

Thanks to all for the prayers. They were answered.

Treefarmer
Thanks for the update,

Glad to hear Prayers were answered..

·
Registered
622 Posts
Lodging is scarce throught the panhandle. Our friends couldn't find a hotel closer than Pensacola. Power around Panama City is expected to be out for a month or more. No word on restoring water service yet. Folks are being asked to stay away for several more days while streets and safety hazards are cleared. It's going to be a rustic lifestyle for quite a while.

I live in Niceville (about 50 miles away). We only got a few 60 mph gusts here -- no structural damage. Send me a private message if your family needs a local point of contact, communications support, etc. I'll be happy to share my phone #.

Glad to hear the good news. Michael intensified quickly. Not many folks realized they would be riding out a nearly Cat-5 storm.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've been following this every day. All I can say is unbelievable. I've been through 2 tornadoes and this looks to be exponentially worse. We've been praying for all those involved. Stay safe TF. :hi:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Keep a Whistle Handy!

P.S.: For anyone who has a hurricane/tornado/storm shelter room in their house, I highly recommend keeping a very loud sports whistle in there. If the house collapses, you want to be able to let people know where you're trapped.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Michael

I spent a few days in the sunny panhandle of Florida last week. Lovely hot weather but the visit was slightly marred by the effort to clean up after Michael. My sister's house is a little beat up after about 8-10' of roof left one end and departed over the other end of the house. I don't mean shingles, it was shingles, sheathing, trusses etc. They aren't sure whether the brick gable end fell in before or after the roof departed. A small chunk, maybe 8' x 8' of plywood and shingles ended up between the AC compressor and they said it rolled end over end down the remaining roof before ending up on the ground. Thunk, thunk, thunk...

There was an old utility pole out by the barn about 50 yards from the house. It ended up next to the house after clearing a fence. I'm happy to say the 790 and grapple was very useful moving debris, including all the soaked wet carpet and ruined furniture out to the road for pickup. It was also helpful to lift part of a shed up so we could excavate my brother in laws little Kubota, FEL and trailer from under the debris pile.

All in all it was a fun filled trip, although we couldn't figure out how to tarp the air where the roof was missing. Actually that's not exactly true, I figured out how to do it but didn't have the time, materials or scaffolding/ladders to do it.

Still they are lucky. Nobody got hurt, they salvaged most belongings and were able to move to another, although smaller house that was only somewhat damaged. If you see pictures of stuff torn up in that area, they aren't photoshopped. You could have pointed the camera almost anywhere and seen devastation.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Glad to hear your tractor came in handy but sad to know so much was destroyed. We got hit by Florence pretty good up here, no damage to my property but plenty not too far from me. This has been a pretty active season this year. Hopefully it calms down for the last month.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,383 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots more tarps

Tarping was just getting into high gear when I was down there. Unfortunately, those pictures are pretty representative, it's a level of devastation that I've never seen in such a large area. The numbers are staggering but the human misery is heartbreaking. It's one thing to know X number of homes were destroyed but quite another if you talk to an owner and they have no idea what to do next, where they will live etc.

Estimates are that $1.3-1.5 billion dollars of trees were destroyed. That's a bad statistic but for the family that depended on those trees for their living, it's a catastrophe.

It will take years for a full recovery but people are scratching, clawing and digging their way out of the mess. Honest contractors are in short supply as are competent workers. Fly by night outfits who will prey on the unwary are a blight on humanity but there will be plenty of them around. Looting was an issue when we were there, so much that almost every convenience store had one and usually two cop cars parked there overnight. The stores were closed- no power but instead of patrolling the cops were simply stationed at the stores until they received a call. As a result, the looters moved to see what they could get from damaged homes, in some cases to be surprised by homeowners who were in no mood to put up with thieves. We heard of several armed confrontations in the short time we were there, although none of them resulted in shots fired. The appearance of an armed homeowner convinced the looters to depart the premises quickly.

The good and bad in people comes out in those situations. We had multiple people stop by asking if we needed bottled water, food etc. They weren't official relief workers, just people who had made it to a place were supplies were available and were willing to share.

The little girl in the street captures the situation. Her old world is gone but a new one will be rebuilt.

Treefarmer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts