Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just gifted a Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw while visiting my mom last week. It looks like a 1996 model with an 18" bar. My step-dad has had it sitting in their shed for a couple years now and hasn't used it since moving to Florida. The tank still had fuel in it, I dumped it out and drove it back to Oklahoma. He used to live in PA and cut a little wood with it, but it hasn't seen a lot of heavy use. So I don't know much more than that about it. Seems like I have a 25 year old professional grade built in Sweden saw that didn't get used much. The little reading I've done on it, is that its a "legend" to husky guys and might be considered one of the last great saws before emissions and mass production diluted them down.

Once I get past my busy spring season, I'll take some time and clean it up a bit and see how it runs. Past that, I'm not sure what to do with it. He gave it to me since my smaller saw I use is on the down hill slope (husky 142 consumer grade). I also have a Husqvarna 460 Rancher that I bought 2 years ago to help with a couple big trees and logs that needed cleaned up on my new property. That work is all behind me now and I don't have a lot of use for my 60cc saw let alone another bigger saw like the 254XP. Seems like a good problem...

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
Great site for all things chainsaw:

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
I’m actually not familiar with a 254xp, I have a 346xp, and would really like to add a 2/357xp to the mix.

Once you use a pro saw, there’s no turning back.

I would replace the fuel line and rebuild the carb and try it. You can verify oiler function without risking damage at that point.

After that ditch the 460. My 346xp will cut side by side with a 65-70cc non pro model. A buddy wasn’t impressed with his Jonsered 2172 having similar cut times in 12-14” oak. He changed bars and chains a couple times thinking that was the cause.

·
Registered
25,161 Posts
That work is all behind me now and I don't have a lot of use for my 60cc saw let alone another bigger saw like the 254XP. Seems like a good problem...
That’s what I thought also....

About 7-8 years ago because of getting RA I had to give a lot of stuff up. I had a Husky 61 with a 20” bar for many many years. 2 pulls and it always started. Cut tons of firewood with that saw.

Got to the point I couldn’t even pick it up let alone try to start it so I sold it. Bought a little Stihl 180 with a 16” bar that has the easy start - at least I can use that saw now.

However....at least twice now while cleaning up blow downs the little 16” saw just wasn’t long enough. I had to hire a guy with a big saw to cut up the truck pieces for me.

Had I kept the old Husky I could have done it myslef.

So never say never - you just might need that saw some time in the future.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m actually not familiar with a 254xp, I have a 346xp, and would really like to add a 2/357xp to the mix.

I would replace the fuel line and rebuild the carb and try it. You can verify oiler function without risking damage at that point.

After that ditch the 460. My 346xp will cut side by side with a 65-70cc non pro model. A buddy wasn’t impressed with his Jonsered 2172 having similar cut times in 12-14” oak. He changed bars and chains a couple times thinking that was the cause.
I think the 257XP is from the same series as the 254, along with a 262 or something like that.

Like I said, I don't have a lot of use for a big saw at this point. I haven't ever used a pro saw. I do yearly trimming around the property with my small saw and was considering a pro grade just to have the reliability. I was curious if anyone would suggest keeping a 25 year old saw over a 2 year old saw of similar size (maybe not "class"). There isn't a lot of risk for me since I might use it once a year. I'll just have to see how it looks when I get around to it, verify where the compression is at and look for some parts availability. I really like the 24" bar on my 460, selling it would easily pay for a bigger bar for the 254xp and put cash in my pocket to boot.

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
EPA regulations for diesel and 2-cycles have evolved on a similar pace. I would take 20 year old good equipment over 2 year old in almost every scenario.

Even if stock cylinders/pistons aren’t available cheap I bet there is a cheap bolt on option.

I just swapped from a 2000 3/4 ton GM to a 2008, both with 6.0 engines. I’ve had more computer problems with the 08 then the 00 had for computers. I was starting snow plowing so I wondered about the transmission and 1/2 the miles drove my decision.

In diesel trucks, good condition 7.3 or the first 2 generations of duramax are still prized possessions. The frame on my previous previous 02 rotted out, but otherwise that truck was awesome.

Reactions: Andursun0013

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
141 Posts
I was just gifted a Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw while visiting my mom last week. It looks like a 1996 model with an 18" bar. My step-dad has had it sitting in their shed for a couple years now and hasn't used it since moving to Florida. The tank still had fuel in it, I dumped it out and drove it back to Oklahoma. He used to live in PA and cut a little wood with it, but it hasn't seen a lot of heavy use. So I don't know much more than that about it. Seems like I have a 25 year old professional grade built in Sweden saw that didn't get used much. The little reading I've done on it, is that its a "legend" to husky guys and might be considered one of the last great saws before emissions and mass production diluted them down.

Once I get past my busy spring season, I'll take some time and clean it up a bit and see how it runs. Past that, I'm not sure what to do with it. He gave it to me since my smaller saw I use is on the down hill slope (husky 142 consumer grade). I also have a Husqvarna 460 Rancher that I bought 2 years ago to help with a couple big trees and logs that needed cleaned up on my new property. That work is all behind me now and I don't have a lot of use for my 60cc saw let alone another bigger saw like the 254XP. Seems like a good problem...

View attachment 780280

View attachment 780281
Congrats on owning the best chainsaw ever made. If you love saws you'll the 254XP. Kent

·
Registered
277 Posts
Great site for all things chainsaw:

The place for anything saw related. I've been a member since inception. That site was spawned from another site. The saw guys over there, KNOW their stuff. Anything, & any question one could come up with, can be answered there. A real helpful group.

It's also a lively bunch :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
Congrats on owning the best chainsaw ever made. If you love saws you'll the 254XP. Kent
Close, but the greatest chainsaw ever made is the 288XP. More power and the sweetest sound... ;)

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
The place for anything saw related. I've been a member since inception. That site was spawned from another site. The saw guys over there, KNOW their stuff. Anything, & any question one could come up with, can be answered there. A real helpful group.

It's also a lively bunch :ROFLMAO:
Yup... sometimes a bit over the top but the knowledge and experience there is second to none.

Reactions: Viper21

·
Registered
277 Posts

Those are good saws. I have a ported 353, & a ported 562xp. They both scream. If I hadn't had my 353 since new (2005), I would've bought a 346xp. Those are great saws, especially if modded. My 353 out cuts, many stock big box saws with more cc's. It's light weight, & a favorite.

Couldn't agree more on the pro saw vs. Lowe's/Home Depot saws. Like most tools, professional grade is a much better option. I cut a lot of firewood for a non pro logger. I personally burn 15 cord/year on average. Sometimes I cut more than that. A "Rancher" or "Farm Boss" would struggle with the hours I put on my saws. I know casual users that will have a jug of bar oil last them several years. I'll go through a couple gallons from October to March, sometimes three.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
Pick your poison...

Clockwise from lower right:

Mini Mac
346XP
550XP
162SE (my first "real" saw, bought new in 1982)
562XP
562XP Full Wrap, lightly modded
576XP AT
288XP

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pick your poison...

Clockwise from lower right:

Mini Mac
346XP
550XP
162SE (my first "real" saw, bought new in 1982)
562XP
562XP Full Wrap, lightly modded
576XP AT
288XP

View attachment 780337
How do you like your 550xp ? Is it as good as the 346xp ..? Looks like a decent light weight saw, in a very user friendly class.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
The 550XP is a GREAT limbing saw with Rev Boost. Much better anti-vibe than the 346 makes it easier to handle, and it's more fuel efficient. They're comparable in power but I give the edge to the 550.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts

View attachment 780280

View attachment 780281
Nice score.
I have a 371XP of roughly the same era that i wouldn't trade for a new one. Great saws.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A "Rancher" or "Farm Boss" would struggle with the hours I put on my saws. I know casual users that will have a jug of bar oil last them several years. I'll go through a couple gallons from October to March, sometimes three.
That's me, I'm just about finished with the jug when I got my rancher 2 years ago now. And I would say 1/3 of it has leaked out of my 142 sitting in the box on the shelf. As cheap as that saw is/was/always will be, I can't complain about it too much. For the time I put on it, I've had it since 2008 and it always cuts the nasty stuff I have. I've cut roots and stumps off at the ground, and several rotten logs. Often times in the heat of Oklahoma summers. I always run the fuel tank empty when finished and keep the air filter clean. Pretty amazing how simple things can prolong the life of even lower end stuff.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nice Saw! Firewood Bandit is gonna kiss you! :D

The old stuff sure is nice but having someone who can "fix" the newer "autotune" saws is probably more important since the good stuff that is pre-government control is harder to find.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The 550XP is a GREAT limbing saw with Rev Boost. Much better anti-vibe than the 346 makes it easier to handle, and it's more fuel efficient. They're comparable in power but I give the edge to the 550.
That's great to hear. I see em on the shelf at a local shop. I've considered buying one as a future back up to my 353. I just love that class of saw. Lightweight, & plenty of power. Limbing & blocking up smaller stuff, they're hard to beat. I usually grab the 562 for felling, & blocking up anything with size to it.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,142 Posts
I use my 562 and 550 the most (not that I cut much since I don't burn wood... mainly cleanup and helping others). They're both about 8 yrs old so they're the original versions. The current Mark II's are even better from what I hear.

Everyone complains about AutoTune. I haven't had any issues with any of mine. The saws always have the right tune and will almost prevent a lean burn down.

The 2 series XP's like the OP has are some of the best saws ever produced. My 162SE was a precursor to the XP and it is a brute.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts