Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured that since the 445 that I bought from Lowe's was now 7 years old, I should probably tune it up. I put on a new bar, air filter and changed the spark plug. I've recently been keeping the chain sharp too :laugh: Thing is, after the plug swap it seems down on power. Before the changes, I could bury it in a cut and it would just muscle through it. With the new plug it bogs and I have to lift a little to let it recover. I put the old plug in and it runs great.

The original plug was a Champion RC7JY and the new plug is an NGK BPMR7A. I cross referenced the plugs and that seems to check out. There is an Amazon review on this tune up kit that says "Saw worked great til I put in this plug. Not sure why.". Did I get a bad plug, or are NGK plugs not good?

My only other experience with NGK plugs is in an 1/8 scale hydroplane and I'm wondering if I'm leaving power on the table there.

·
Premium Member
15,351 Posts
I figured that since the 445 that I bought from Lowe's was now 7 years old, I should probably tune it up. I put on a new bar, air filter and changed the spark plug. I've recently been keeping the chain sharp too :laugh: Thing is, after the plug swap it seems down on power. Before the changes, I could bury it in a cut and it would just muscle through it. With the new plug it bogs and I have to lift a little to let it recover. I put the old plug in and it runs great.

The original plug was a Champion RC7JY and the new plug is an NGK BPMR7A. I cross referenced the plugs and that seems to check out. There is an Amazon review on this tune up kit that says "Saw worked great til I put in this plug. Not sure why.". Did I get a bad plug, or are NGK plugs not good?

My only other experience with NGK plugs is in an 1/8 scale hydroplane and I'm wondering if I'm leaving power on the table there.

Tried cross ref of RC7JY --no found results came up for a RCJ7Y

When I looked up part for 445 saw it did come up with BPMR7A ,, my guess is a bad plug.:dunno::dunno:

Guessing both of them looked alike.

Reactions: Yank and Bubber

·
Premium Member
15,351 Posts
Typo... RCJ7Y

View attachment 533162

They both looked the same.
When I did the cross ref of the RCJ7Y NGK model you have was listed. maybe this one is either defective, a hotter or colder plug than OE.

But when you look up 445 Hus saw the model plug you have is the replacement plug they suggest.

So again guessing deft plug ,,since the OE plug works fine.

Reactions: Yank and Bubber

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I did the cross ref of the RCJ7Y NGK model you have was listed. maybe this one is either defective, a hotter or colder plug than OE.

But when you look up 445 Hus saw the model plug you have is the replacement plug they suggest.

So again guessing deft plug ,,since the OE plug works fine.
Thanks! I'm going to pick up a Champion plug for the saw and the boat. Although, if that boa get's any faster, I'm not sure it'll be a good thing. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Could an incorrectly gapped plug cause this?

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Get the original. Although similar common specs, that doesn’t mean they work the same. Try oem and go from there.

My lowes 445 got weak within a couple cord. I couldn’t sell it fast enough and get a used 346xp saw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts