Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
..I did it once....dealer got confused or whatever.....all is good on the 955.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If it’s a gear transmission then, yes either can be used. If it’s a hydro then no. Check with your dealer, but I think the low viscosity is for the hydro, but don’t take my word for which is which. Check with your dealer.

When I had my 790, I put the hydro oil in at the first service interval because it was all the dealer had in stock. They confirmed either would work. After that, both the loader and 3pt would leak off much quicker than what was in it new. The second service, I went back to what was recommended for the gear transmission and the loader and 3pt didn’t leak off nearly as fast.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It’s a good question. Watching

·
Premium Member
10,974 Posts
Can these two grades be added to each other with no problem?
What tractor do you have? To what degree do you wish to mix them? Or are you just concerned about fluid remaining in the machine when switching from one viscosity to the other?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it’s a gear transmission then, yes either can be used. If it’s a hydro then no. Check with your dealer, but I think the low viscosity is for the hydro, but don’t take my word for which is which. Check with your dealer.

When I had my 790, I put the hydro oil in at the first service interval because it was all the dealer had in stock. They confirmed either would work. After that, both the loader and 3pt would leak off much quicker than what was in it new. The second service, I went back to what was recommended for the gear transmission and the loader and 3pt didn’t leak off nearly as fast.

Jdl
I have a 1025R. Dealer fixed a leak and put 15 Quarts of the HY-GARD in. I have some low vis and wanted to ad some.
john

·
Premium Member
10,974 Posts
Jdl
I have a 1025R. Dealer fixed a leak and put 15 Quarts of the HY-GARD in. I have some low vis and wanted to ad some.
john
According to your manual both Hy-Gard and Low-Vis Hy-Gard can be used in your machine depending on ambient temperature operating environment. I see no issues with adding a bit of Low-Vis with some regular Hy-Gard.

Most of JD's "do not mix oils" cautions are referring to mixing oils types from different manufacturers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
According to your manual both Hy-Gard and Low-Vis Hy-Gard can be used in your machine depending on ambient temperature operating environment. I see no issues with adding a bit of Low-Vis with some regular Hy-Gard.

Most of JD's "do not mix oils" cautions are referring to mixing oils types from different manufacturers.
After consulting the manual it does appear that either can be used. I just remember in 2010 when I changed the oil in my 790, they sold me what was recommended for hydro stating that it would work in a gear transmission, but oil for a gear transmission would not work in a hydro. 10 years later, maybe the hydro transmissions are more forgiving.

EDIT: So I’m confused. I looked up the online manual for the 790 and it states that the recommended oil is Lo-Vis Hy-Gard, but Hy-Gard can be used. That follows what the dealer told me, but then in my 4044R manual it says to use Hy-Gard, but Lo-Vis Hy-Gard can also be used. But do not mix them. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The manual does show both based on the temp the machine will be operating in. I assume if one was going low vis for a Michigan winter from straight HY-GARD used in the summer there is no way to get all of it drained off of the internal parts before adding the other. So I guess it is ok.
??

·
Premium Member
10,974 Posts
EDIT: So I’m confused. I looked up the online manual for the 790 and it states that the recommended oil is Lo-Vis Hy-Gard, but Hy-Gard can be used. That follows what the dealer told me, but then in my 4044R manual it says to use Hy-Gard, but Lo-Vis Hy-Gard can also be used. But do not mix them. 🤷‍♂️
The language in your 4044R manual seems to be identical to what is found in most all of the JD manuals. The "do not mix" refers to oil types from other manufacturers but the way JD has placed the statement makes it sound like they are referring the mixing Hy-Gard.

Consider that if your environment is in the deep south then according to the chart regular Hy-Gard (J20C) would be more appropriate. But if the machine shipped with Low-Vis Hy-Gard it would be impossible to purge all the old Hy-Gard from the pump, internals, hoses and implements. So mixing JD-branded Hy-Gard has to be a non-issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JG man
I think U are correct so I am going HY-GARD we’re and when I can. (Florida)
thanks to all that replie.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
JG man
But... low vis or Hy vis..??

Given your location ..IDK.

Manuals were confusing years ago and still may be.
This is how I ended up with the wrong vis but yet was still Right oil one time.

I'm a Low vis Hy Gard user..I think...Thats what most of the empty jugs say...got a small leak

·
Premium Member
10,974 Posts
JG man
That's where it gets a bit confusing. The 1025R manual shows that silly temperature chart but then goes on to say that the 1025R is filled with Low-Vis at the factory and Low-Vis is what is recommended. According to the chart, unless you routinely operate in ambient temperatures above 104F, Low-Vis is the right stuff.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I’m pretty sure I can use either in my 1026r. But the manual says not to mix the 2 types. I’m not sure as to why. I use the low-vis hy Guard because I use my tractor in cold temps .

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I wouldn't be a bit surprised that when the dealer say they added "Hy Gard", it very well could be "Low Vis HyGard", depending upon the climate where they and the machine are located. I have heard the dealer refer to HyGard a number of times and then give the customer the Low Vis because it was for a hydro change for winter use, etc.

It is something which should be explained to customers a little more clearly, but someone in Florida likely wouldn't need the Low Vis and in Michigan, we can use Low Vis year around without any concerns. With the crossover of the temp ranges and both being for the same use and the same purpose with the temp ranges being the only difference, I wouldn't hesitate to add Low Viscosity to 14 quarts of regular if the additional fluid was needed and that is what I had in stock in the garage. Same with adding regular Hygard to top off a machine with Low Vis.

I sure would NOT ever mix any other "Hydro Fluid" with John Deere's Hydro Fluid, or any other brand for that matter. My ExMark uses Hydro Fluid and I use the specific brand they have specified in their TSM and wouldn't use the Deere in the ExMark or vice versa. They are both hydro systems, but quite different in design with the individual units on each wheel, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It seems to me, that if you change between Low Viscosity Hy-Gard and regular Hy-Gard, if you do not evacuate all of the hydraulic oil from all of the hydraulic cylinders on the tractor at the time of the change-over, you would essentially be mixing the two oils.

Perhaps someone should contact John Deere engineering department and get a conclusive answer to whether the two Hy-Gard viscosity oils can be mixed, since the manuals seem to be rather unclear/vague on this matter and open to various interpretations.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
It seems to me, that if you change between Low Viscosity Hy-Gard and regular Hy-Gard, if you do not evacuate all of the hydraulic oil from all of the hydraulic cylinders on the tractor at the time of the change-over, you would essentially be mixing the two oils.

Perhaps someone should contact John Deere engineering department and get a conclusive answer to whether the two Hy-Gard viscosity oils can be mixed, since the manuals seem to be rather unclear/vague on this matter and open to various interpretations.
That documentation is already out there from Deere, you just have to hunt a little for it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts