21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,035 Posts
Ah-ha! Here is something.
The wording in the Gator manual makes perfect sense and eliminates a lot of confusion. Unfortunately JD chose to have a much more confusing "Do Not Mix" statement in most of the tractor manuals.

·
Premium Member
11,035 Posts
Also see this in the JD Oil Sales Guide:

"Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard has the same performance specifications as Hy-Gard and can be used as a replacement for Hy-Gard in cold weather. In some machines, Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard is the correct fluid to use year around. Consult the Operator’s Manual for recommended fluid operating temperatures."

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, I submitted an information request to John Deere through my MyJohnDeere account, as follows:

We have received your query, we will get back to you soon.
Reference No.: GSC-19xxxx

Question/Comment: I would like to know if it is permissible to mix Hy-Gard low viscosity and Hy-Gard hydraulic oils for use in a 1025R hydraulic system.
I have found documentation that says it is allowed to mix the two for use in a Gator transaxle, but nothing in 1025R documentation that states specifically that it is OK to do this on the 1025R.

Their reply:

So, it begs the question. Does this lady really know what she is talking about? ...or is she just interpreting it how she sees it, by simply reading the manual with all of its vagueness?

Then, I called two different JD dealer's service departments, ...and got two different answers.
One said it shouldn't be a problem.
The other said not to do it.

·
Premium Member
11,035 Posts
Well, I submitted an information request to John Deere through my MyJohnDeere account, as follows:
Then, I called two different JD dealer's service departments, ...and got two different answers.
One said it shouldn't be a problem.
The other said not to do it.
As with most things dealer related, you need to call more dealers. Five is recommended. Then average the answers to come up with the official response.

🤯

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
What a can of worms this is turning out to be.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I think it’s ridiculous to expect that if you change from lo-visc to regular Hy-Gard or visa vera that your going to get every last drop so there’s no mixing. With the loader cylinders and lines you can’t expect to get that all drained. The last time I changed oil in my 790, I did raise the loader completely up and then drained the transmission. Then I lowered the loader and slight bit more drained out. But that didn’t account for the bucket curl cylinders or cylinders I have on attachments that connect through the SCV ports. It’s just not possible without flushing everything and who’s going to do that?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
There is a document out there somewhere where a compatibility matrix test was run. I will see if I can find it

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Mixing Deeres Hy-Gard with Low Vis Hy-Gard is a non issue.
They likely wont recommend mixing, as it goofs up the temperature range, and they cant guarantee it will work in a specified range once mixed, but worst case, a 50-50 mix would get you mid way to the extremes on both fluids.
This is akin to asking if you can mix 5w20 and 10w30. Sure can, but that doesnt mean the manufacturer will recommend it.
The difference in the fluids is the viscosity.

Also, Low-Viscosity Hy-gard is the factory fill for all of us. It seems some dealers have no clue what is supposed to be in there.
Some look at the temp scale and think, well, it gets over 100 here once in a while, so I need the regular hy gard. This isnt correct. This is when you spend a large amount of time operating in these temps where it can be an issue. This generally doesnt include a few days here or there, or even a week or so. If that was a problem, they wouldnt factory fill all hydros in the US with it. I think Deere should spend a bit of time to educate dealers on the fluids and their specs and recommended usage, but since they have not by now, they likely wont.
That said, its your tractor, if you want to swap fluids for Winter and Summer, and do not mind spending the money doing so, have at it. Its not necessary, but it wont hurt anything except your wallet.

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
I literally just spoke to Deere about this very question yesterday. Yes, it can be mixed. It can be mixed with either flavors of Hygard or even other hydraulic fluid. No problem. It’s in one of the documents they had that cataloged all of their fluids. There is a Q&A section that covered it.

So long story short, don’t worry about it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts