Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting this thread as the conversation started in the SCUT section - thought it may need it’s own thread and visibility -

A lot of folks use dye in their hydraulic / hydro systems for ease of seeing in the sight glass, ease of seeing on the dipstick, and also to be able to quickly see any leaks. The Deere Hy-Guard oil is a pale tan.

Don’t know if it is still true, but when I got my tractor new the hydro had oil with a red tint. Maybe this was to easily spot any possible leaks after production and before shipping?

Anyway, I went to add the dye to my cart at Green Farm Parts but it shows as being unavailable from Deere -

John Deere Oil MT3668

Since I have no dealers anywhere near me I depend on buying my parts and supplies online.

So the question is - dye should not have to be a Deere specific part. Is there a generic hydraulic dye available out there that can be purchase in very small quantities?

·
Premium Member
10,699 Posts
So the question is - dye should not have to be a Deere specific part. Is there a generic hydraulic dye available out there that can be purchase in very small quantities?
Just to add to what Stan is asking, the preferred dye is something that can be visible without special glasses or illumination (as there are lots of oil dye additives out there that require a special UV light for visibility).

Since LandPro bought out my local dealer they went from having 5-locations to 20-locations. I see at two of the New York locations they are showing a couple bottles still in stock. I suspect once those are gone they won't be getting any more.

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to add to what Stan is asking, the preferred dye is something that can be visible without special glasses or illumination (as there are lots of oil dye additives out there that require a special UV light for visibility).

Since LandPro bought out my local dealer they went from having 5-locations to 20-locations. I see at two of the New York locations they are showing a couple bottles still in stock. I suspect once those are gone they won't be getting any more.
Maybe someone might feel sorry for me and pick up a bottle and send it to me......

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Huh. JDparts shows none available at my usual local dealership but they have 7 at another of their locations. And it shows that it is available to order through JDParts.com @ $6.74/bottle.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Maybe someone might feel sorry for me and pick up a bottle and send it to me......
I was actually going to ask you if you wanted me to do this.... even before I got to your post! :laugh: Do you want me to check with my dealer? I'm happy to do it for you.

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually going to ask you if you wanted me to do this.... even before I got to your post! :laugh: Do you want me to check with my dealer? I'm happy to do it for you.
That would be great - but don’t make a special trip. I don’t need it right away. I’ve always wanted to add the dye but I forgot to order it with my annual maintenance supply order with GFP last summer. Now that it seems to be getting scarce I’d like to have a bottle.

I can send you a check, a money order, or PayPal - which ever your preference.

·
Premium Member
10,699 Posts
I ordered a bottle via JD Parts yesterday mostly as a test. It was $6.13 and there were no indications that availability was limited. My dealer showed a few bottles on hand at other locations and I thought they might just send one over to my locale. This was my first time ordering anything via JD Parts and it was a little confusing payment wise. It didn't ask for a credit card or anything and in one section it said "Call dealer for payment" and in another section it said "Dealer will contact you".

Anyway, the dealer called this morning to say they don't currently have it in stock but it should be on-hand in a few days via routine order and asked if I needed it sooner. They also said I can just pay when I pick it up (I assume because it is only $6.13).

I will report back with the outcome.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
I ordered a bottle via JD Parts yesterday mostly as a test. It was $6.13 and there were no indications that availability was limited. My dealer showed a few bottles on hand at other locations and I thought they might just send one over to my locale. This was my first time ordering anything via JD Parts and it was a little confusing payment wise. It didn't ask for a credit card or anything and in one section it said "Call dealer for payment" and in another section it said "Dealer will contact you".

Anyway, the dealer called this morning to say they don't currently have it in stock but it should be on-hand in a few days via routine order and asked if I needed it sooner. They also said I can just pay when I pick it up (I assume because it is only $6.13).

I will report back with the outcome.
glad to see u was able to get a bottle of it. my bottle i had out in the garage, that i thought was new--well.......when i opened it early last fall.............it was dried up inside the bottle.:banghead::banghead: i had the cap on tight as i needed a pair of pliers to open it.

so since u was able to get a bottle, i think i will call down to where i bought the gator-and ask her to order me a bottle in, i can pick it up when i haul the gator down to get the stuff changed out on warranty work.

was kinda worried i wasn't gonna be able to get any again.

now i wonder what kind of shelf life it might have??? if bottle is never opened-how long till it dries out like mine did?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
glad to see u was able to get a bottle of it. my bottle i had out in the garage, that i thought was new--well.......when i opened it early last fall.............it was dried up inside the bottle.:banghead::banghead: i had the cap on tight as i needed a pair of pliers to open it.

so since u was able to get a bottle, i think i will call down to where i bought the gator-and ask her to order me a bottle in, i can pick it up when i haul the gator down to get the stuff changed out on warranty work.

was kinda worried i wasn't gonna be able to get any again.

now i wonder what kind of shelf life it might have??? if bottle is never opened-how long till it dries out like mine did?
Just need to determine what solvent was used and add some to re-liquify when you need to use it.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I just bought a bottle off of ebay for about $12. I ordered a bottle from JD Parts and had it sent to my dealer a couple of months ago, but they couldn't find any record of my order after they called me and told me that it had come in.

Edit: Just looked at the ebay listing that I bought from a week ago and they are out.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
What about adding a little ATF?

·
Premium Member
10,699 Posts
I received a voicemail from the dealer last night saying my bottle of dye was in. That was less than 24-hours from time of order.

So I drove up this morning and picked it up. It turns out they transferred it over from one of their other locations that had some on hand.

The price had gone up as well. When I ordered it the price was $6.13 but when I got to the dealer they charged me $6.44.

When I got home I logged into JD Parts and checked the price and it too was now showing $6.44.

So apparently everyone placing orders for hydraulic oil dye has driven the price up!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I received a voicemail from the dealer last night saying my bottle of dye was in. That was less than 24-hours from time of order.

So I drove up this morning and picked it up. It turns out they transferred it over from one of their other locations that had some on hand.

The price had gone up as well. When I ordered it the price was $6.13 but when I got to the dealer they charged me $6.44.

When I got home I logged into JD Parts and checked the price and it too was now showing $6.44.

So apparently everyone placing orders for hydraulic oil dye has driven the price up!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
That’ll teach you not to prepay for your orders...

·
Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Actually, there was no place on the JD Parts site for me to pre-pay. Just a note saying "Call dealer with payment". Which I did... but they said I was to pay when I picked it up. :)

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Still shows at $6.13 in Tunkhannock, PA.

·
Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Still shows at $6.13 in Tunkhannock, PA.
Interesting...

Part Number:
MT3668
Part Price: 6.44 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description: Oil - FLUID, HYDRAULIC OIL DYE
Package Quantity:

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Part Number: MT3668