Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 John Deere 6300 that we recently purchased. I want to go ahead and change the hydraulic fluid and clean the intake screen since I don't know if its ever been done. The user manual is not very specific about where exactly the drains are, and the intake screen is on the opposite side of where it is shown in the book. The screen/strainer is on the left side behind the fuel tank. The center drain is obvious, and there are two Allen head bolts on the rear of the transmission/axle assembly that look like drains, but I'm not positive. If someone could point out the drain screws/plugs I'd be most appreciative. I can post pictures of the underside of the tractor if needed. Thanks in advance!

This is what is shown in the book that I have for the 6300, which is exactly the same as it is shown in the 6215 book. (link below:)
OMAL162063: 6215 and 6515 Tractors (398791-      ), Block File: LX_OMWART020396_19_01JUL99.htm

We have (4) 6 series tractors, and they all need changing.
6300 Syncroplus
6215 Syncroplus
6215 Powrreverser (4x4)
6415 Powrreverser (4x4)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Welcome to GTT
To me the diagram from operators manual identifying drain plugs looks self explanatory. It states remove plugs marked with an "A" to drain oil. I don't understand how the book authors could have "mistakenly shown" sump screen access on RH side rather than LH side of diff housing BUT I noticed there's a serial number break( -117661) for screen(R53169)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a few pictures of the underside of the 6300.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looking at your pictures the drain locations look the same as on my 6420 with powerquad so maybe my input will help. You are correct about the mesh screen being opposite from the owner manual drawing and about the location you have pictured. From what I remember about the drain plugs there is one close to where the front driveshaft comes out(assuming mfwd) and the one in the rear I had to remove the drawbar to see it. Both were a 1/2" square plug. Don't recall removing any allen plugs. Hope this helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the 1/2" square plugs are what he is calling the allen plugs. When I first got my 5410 I thought....wow, I'm going to need a big allen wrench to get those out. Then I realized a 1/2" socket extension works perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think the 1/2" square plugs are what he is calling the allen plugs. When I first got my 5410 I thought....wow, I'm going to need a big allen wrench to get those out. Then I realized a 1/2" socket extension works perfectly.
I think the 2wd 6300 has (1) 1/2" square plug under the drawbar, the plug towards the front is definitely an Allen plug.

Our mfwd 6415 does have the 1/2" square plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to changing the hydraulic oil in the 6300. There is a square 1/2” drain hole under the belly tongue. I also drained from the screen hole/cover and the Allen/hex head bolt in the center.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Y tuve el mismo problema con un 6400 de U.S.A.,no localizaba los drenes porque la barra de tiro cubre los 2 drenes por lo que hay. que retirar la barra . Gracias a la información que encontré en su página pude cambiar el fluido hidráulico..

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I have a JD 6415 MFWD and PowerQuad/PoweReverser. It has a drain on the bottom of the MFWD drop box and above the draw bar. I removed the drawbar. My sump screen was also on the opposite side. There are two filters, one a spin on and the other a canister type that should be replaced.
I had an oil leak to the left frame rail that was the pump suction hose that makes almost a full turn. I think the tight turn was more than the hose was designed for. Be sure to check yours. First two pictures are the bottom side of the old hose (reason the leak was so hard to find, it dripped, not streamed). Last picture is new hose installed. It came precut from JD. Had I know it's specs, I would have bought a longer hose.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts