Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a hydraulic hammer on a 385A backhoe? I've got lots of big rocks, so it would be easier to bust them up than dig them out.

Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I have never installed one on a 385, but I will tell you that hammers are very very hard on backhoes, mini excavator's, and excavator's. Wears out pins and joints very quickly. A little use is not terrible, so if you come across one for cheap and use it infrequently it shouldn't be a problem. Oh another thing is hydraulic flow. I don't know how much your tractor has but hammers could take allot depending on the model. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I’ll echo what Big has already said. Hammer/breakers are the death of many machines and need more hydraulic flow than your likely to be able to provide with your machine.

Not only that, but they are expensive, very heavy(perhaps more than your BH’s capacity), won’t likely fit without modification and to top it all off-as I see them used in heavy highway and bridge work-really only good for breaking up concrete-not natural stone into smaller pieces.

Rent a bigger machine to do the digging work or rent something with the breaker so you can dig later.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
personally i wouldnt put one on a small backhoe like that.....you would be better served to get one that hooks on the loader in front .....each has different flow requirements but a skidsteer sized one like i have 500# takes around 15gpm flow

the effectiveness is directly related to the type of rock you have .....if you have granite or hard limestone you will need a bigger hammer something 1000#+ .....soft limestone/sandstone/ concrete etc it will work fine.....i would suggest trying one on rental before buying one.....skidsteer sized ones are a lot cheaper than they used to be .....great for driving posts etc also

keep a grease gun handy

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Has anyone installed a hydraulic hammer on a 385A backhoe? I've got lots of big rocks, so it would be easier to bust them up than dig them out.

Thanks,
David
If you're attempting to dig & remove large rocks you might want to consider sinking them deeper. I've had a lot of experience over the years with rocks and the very large boulders are likely too much for your 375 to handle.

Whenever I encounter a huge boulder I usually just excavate a deeper hole next to it and roll it down and in. A couple of feet below the grade is all that's necessary and it will stay put. This method also makes backfilling much easier and you shouldn't need to bring in any extra fill.

·
Registered
22,712 Posts
If you're attempting to dig & remove large rocks you might want to consider sinking them deeper. I've had a lot of experience over the years with rocks and the very large boulders are likely too much for your 375 to handle.

Whenever I encounter a huge boulder I usually just excavate a deeper hole next to it and roll it down and in. A couple of feet below the grade is all that's necessary and it will stay put. This method also makes backfilling much easier and you shouldn't need to bring in any extra fill.
Works well for stumps also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I too am concerned that the tractor (3039R) and backhoe may not stand up to the hammer. That's why I asked if anyone else had done it.

As for digging a hole next to the big rocks and burying them, that wont work as typically there is an even bigger rock next to it.

When we were building the house the soils engineer came out and classified the site as "fractured rock". I have heard of sandy, clay, loam, etc. but never fractured rock.

David

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Hire it out or rent

There extremely expensive and hard on smallish machines...Digging stumps losened the pins on my mini ex.

I'd never consider a Hammer.

If you got a huge project....perhaps buy a used complete unit; skidsteer with hammer or mid to large ex.

Do what you gotta do and flip it...otherwise rent...They are Brutal.

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
Agreed they are brutal.

This is the front tilt cylinder ripped out of the top mount of my skid steer from a couple years ago. I’m had used one a couple times before but this job won. Knew someone else that it broke the lift cylinders.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Agreed they are brutal.

This is the front tilt cylinder ripped out of the top mount of my skid steer from a couple years ago. I’m had used one a couple times before but this job won. Knew someone else that it broke the lift cylinders.

typical of incorrect use damage....will hammer a hole then use the unit to pry ...the hammer unit makes quite a fulcum and is much stronger than the lift cylinders if they get the point in a bind.....usually breaks a cylinder rod or end

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I too am concerned that the tractor (3039R) and backhoe may not stand up to the hammer. That's why I asked if anyone else had done it.

As for digging a hole next to the big rocks and burying them, that wont work as typically there is an even bigger rock next to it.

When we were building the house the soils engineer came out and classified the site as "fractured rock". I have heard of sandy, clay, loam, etc. but never fractured rock.

David
Yup. Been there too and got it done. Planning and patience will prevail. Otherwise, use the right equipment for the job and / or hire it out. :hi:

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
typical of incorrect use damage....will hammer a hole then use the unit to pry ...the hammer unit makes quite a fulcum and is much stronger than the lift cylinders if they get the point in a bind.....usually breaks a cylinder rod or end
Actually it wasn’t used to pry, maybe a little because there is always a little of that. I was breaking up a pad and I started smelling something like burning pain but I didnt recognize the smell right away. I wish I had. The hammering got the plates that hold the top cylinder so hot that when they stretched that was the smell. It was shocking how much they fatigued so quickly. It was exactly like looking at metal that had been through a tension test. Had I caught it when it started I would have still had to repair it but it would have saved me a cylinder repair.

Either way, the next time I needed a breaker I rented the skid steer with it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Actually it wasn’t used to pry, maybe a little because there is always a little of that. I was breaking up a pad and I started smelling something like burning pain but I didnt recognize the smell right away. I wish I had. The hammering got the plates that hold the top cylinder so hot that when they stretched that was the smell. It was shocking how much they fatigued so quickly. It was exactly like looking at metal that had been through a tension test. Had I caught it when it started I would have still had to repair it but it would have saved me a cylinder repair.

Either way, the next time I needed a breaker I rented the skid steer with it.
I do respect that you used your equipment correctly .....just a reaction from seeing that kind of failure (alot) caused by damage from misuse usually prying on broken concrete that still had rebar attached in it....:good2:

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
I do respect that you used your equipment correctly .....just a reaction from seeing that kind of failure (alot) caused by damage from misuse usually prying on broken concrete that still had rebar attached in it....:good2:
No always for sure, but in this case.:laugh:

No offense taken. It is just my opinion that this is one thing that it is better to rent because they’re so hard on things.

The friend that the cylinders broke, it actually vibrated the nuts off the cylinders that hold the pistons on. It is amazing how much force/vibration those breakers have. That was fixable but not pleasant.

When I went down to bobcat the guy at the parts counter said well that units not breaker rated. I never knew there was a breaker rated but I promise you I told him no. ..... it’s not.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not only what everyone else has said regarding the backhoe not being heavy duty enough and the flow issue. You would also need to figure out how to get an additional hydraulic circuit out to the dipperstick to power a hammer.

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts