1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i saw the bar one but im afraid the chain will jump. Plus the bar one cant go side ways like the circular saw can which can cut low to the ground.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Reactions: OldmanX

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Yeah i saw the bar one but im afraid the chain will jump. Plus the bar one cant go side ways like the circular saw can which can cut low to the ground.

*nods* There seem to be pros/cons both ways. The circular blade is limited to cutting limbs 4.5" in diameter and smaller but can be used horizontal as a brush blade.

The chain setup allows you to cut larger limbs.

The biggest drawback to all of them is that they all seem to want 10 GPM from your hydraulic system. For those of us with SCUTs/MCUTs, that means an aux hydro pump system.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Limb cutter

I saw one at a farm sale. The farmer selling it had been very satisfied and happy with it. It was on a large 4wd tractor, 125-150 hp with loader to match so hydraulics weren't an issue. He was retiring and that was part of the overall sale, tractor, loader and saw. He usually worked alone and felt it was much safer.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tractor is a 5205 4x4. So maybe ill have enough juice

I mean the saw would be nice but just throwing the chain, bending the bar...gets me..and oiling it.

The limbhog says its saw cuts up to 5" diameter..but the circular one is 4.5".

Ehh hard decision..im leaning to the circular one just due to no oiling, not chain jumping, and it can cut sideways

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Chain oil

My tractor is a 5205 4x4. So maybe ill have enough juice

I mean the saw would be nice but just throwing the chain, bending the bar...gets me..and oiling it.

The limbhog says its saw cuts up to 5" diameter..but the circular one is 4.5".

Ehh hard decision..im leaning to the circular one just due to no oiling, not chain jumping, and it can cut sideways
If I remember right, the one I saw (viewed) at the sale had an oil reservoir on the saw. Except for size, I don't see much difference in the concept of the saws on barker/delimber/trim units used by loggers to cut to length. Admittedly, those are much larger saws but they get used very hard all day, every day and I don't hear about a lot of problems with them.

The sideways cut would be very nice. I use a blade on a brush saw frequently. After a few hours of that, I would be happy to trade it for a tractor mounted rig. The downside for either is when you run close to the ground eventually you will find a rock or piece of metal and be looking at a new blade or considerable resharpening. It MIGHT be harder to see the foreign objects from the tractor seat but at least you will be further away from the flying debris.

Treefarmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts