Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bit of an issue here. I purchased a hydraulic motor to perform a modification on my snowblower so I can have the automatic chute functionality.

The hydraulic motor has 1/2" flare fittings. They are 5/8" male pipe thread that are threaded into the motor revealing a 1/2" flare ports for lines. The issue is the lines on the JD 318 are 1/4". I figured that's not a problem since I can simply remove the 5/8" fittings and get a 5/8 to 1/4" female bushing. I would screw in a 1/4" hydraulic line. However, it seems near to impossible finding fittings that go from 5/8 to 1/4 or even 1/2 to 1/4. I spoke to a hydraulic guy who said that he'd likely have to make a hose for me. He indicated usually fittings go from one size to the next size, not two or 3 sizes. I'm trying to avoid having a totem pole of 4 different fittings to reduce a 5/8 to a 1/4.

Anybody got any ideas.....

·
Registered
983 Posts
Steppin, STOP right where you are !!!!! I, or someone, else can help you out identifying what you need. But first, we need to know what you have.

First, there no such thing as a 5/8" pipe thread. 1/4 NPT pipe is .540 OD, so you may see a hole that looks and measures (roughly) 1/2'". The next size is 3/8 NPT which is .675, so you may see & measure 5/8". I'm thinking it's probably 3/8 NPT.

Next, you say the motor has "1/2" flare fitting". Is this the OD of the thread? If so, it's for 5/16" tubing. You also need to know if it's 37 or 45 degree flare! With the low pressure on these tractors, you can mix them, it's just not a recommended practice.

Finally, you say your 318 has 1/4" lines. If so, somebody re-piped it! You should have 5/16" tubing, or possibly 3/8" (I don't know for sure.)

The standard plug disconnect of JD couplers has 1/4 NPT threads, whether it's 5/16" or 3/8" tubing really doesn't matter. POSITIVELY identify the threads in the motor. Then have your hydraulics guy put that male thread on one end and 1/4 NPT male thread on the other end of the needed length of 3/8" hose.

Bob

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steppin, STOP right where you are !!!!! I, or someone, else can help you out identifying what you need. But first, we need to know what you have.

First, there no such thing as a 5/8" pipe thread. 1/4 NPT pipe is .540 OD, so you may see a hole that looks and measures (roughly) 1/2'". The next size is 3/8 NPT which is .675, so you may see & measure 5/8". I'm thinking it's probably 3/8 NPT.

Next, you say the motor has "1/2" flare fitting". Is this the OD of the thread? If so, it's for 5/16" tubing. You also need to know if it's 37 or 45 degree flare! With the low pressure on these tractors, you can mix them, it's just not a recommended practice.

Finally, you say your 318 has 1/4" lines. If so, somebody re-piped it! You should have 5/16" tubing, or possibly 3/8" (I don't know for sure.)

The standard plug disconnect of JD couplers has 1/4 NPT threads, whether it's 5/16" or 3/8" tubing really doesn't matter. POSITIVELY identify the threads in the motor. Then have your hydraulics guy put that male thread on one end and 1/4 NPT male thread on the other end of the needed length of 3/8" hose.

Bob
Okay,

This is a photo of the fitting.

I've taken in the the store to size it up with other fittings. The bottom is 5/8" pipe thread.

The top is 1/2" JIC.

Let me know if this makes sense.

coupler.jpg

·
Registered
983 Posts
Steppin, First, sorry if I sounded a little "abrupt" in my first post. I "lost it" when I read your post and had visions of you cranking some fitting into the motor and destroying the threads in the motor!

OK, Let's start over. The fitting in the picture is DEFINITELY NOT a 5/8" pipe thread...there REALLY is no such thing! What you have is an "O-Ring", or SAE ORB, fitting on one end and the opposite end is, in fact, a JIC fitting, but I'm unsure of the size or the angle. It's a hydraulic fitting so it's probably a 37° fitting.

You've got a couple different ways to go here, but your going to need hoses with fittings on both ends. I'm assuming you're attaching one end to your front outlets, so you'll need the disconnect plug, whether JD, Parker or other, which has a 1/4" NPT female thread, so you'll need 1/4" NPT male on one end. Let me know if you have other plans. On the motor end of the hose, bring the fitting to your hyd's guy and tell him you want fittings on the other end to mate with that. If the thread on the tapered end is in fact 1/2" it's a 5/16" fitting, officially called a "-05" fitting. The fitting for the motor end, 1/4" NPT on the other end and the length of the hose, again I'd use 3/8 hose, and your hyd's guy can make up hoses for you.

I've got one more word of advice...err, rather a warning...do NOT use teflon tape on the fittings. The o-ring end seals on the o-ring, so a little oil on the threads, screw it in and done. Put a thread sealant paste on the NPT end and screw it into the disconnect. Put the sealant on a thread or 2 from the end of the fitting to prevent sealant from getting into your hyd system.

Let me know if I can be of any more help or if you have other/more questions, Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discount Hydraulics is your friend here:

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/mm5/thread_guide.pdf

I ran into the 5/8 adapting issue when installing an auxiliary pump. Had to get from #10 (5/8) ORB (your pic) down to 3/8" JIC. I did it with one adapter:

6400-06-10 | 3/8" JIC Male x #10 SAE/ORB Male: DiscountHydraulicHose.com

That is the smallest that a #10 ORB will reduce to so you would need an additional fitting to get from 3/8" JIC to 1/4" JIC:

2406-06-04 | 3/8" JIC Female x 1/4" JIC Male: DiscountHydraulicHose.com

There are also options if you need to get to 5/16". None of these fittings would use tape. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Jay, I'm thinking he has a 5/16 (-05) on his male connector, based on the 1/2" size he mentioned, so putting this into the motor and using 3/8 hose, he would need a 3/8" Hose x 5/16" JIC Female Swivel. I see no need to go to 1/4" JIC. Bob

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If you don't mind spending some money (it all costs money when dealing with hydraulics) take your project to your nearest Parker Hydraulic Store. They can build the lines/fittings you need or if you still want to DIY then get you hooked up with the correct fittings with no guess work so you can complete your project. Good luck, getting the right fittings is always an adventure for me. :greentractorride:

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is another option:

6405-10-04 | #10 SAE/ORB Male x 1/4" NPTF Female: DiscountHydraulicHose.com

#10 ORB (motor side) x 1/4" FIP (hose side). One fitting for a couple of bucks and use an off the shelf 1/4" MIP (male iron pipe thread) hose with the male QD on the other end. Easy. You can walk into either TSC or FleetFarm and they have an length assortment of inexpensive hoses with MIP ends as well as Parker (or equivalent) QD fittings. You might run into a small issue with the QD's with "ball" ends or "poppet" style ends to mate up with the JD onboard QD setup.

I buy bulk hose and fittings and swage my own ends and use 1/4" hose on the implement side of the front quick connectors. My 400 uses 5/16" line from the valve forward to the front quick connectors. The hoses on the snow blower are 1/4".

I may not be accurately suggesting the final solution-only possible options.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steppin, First, sorry if I sounded a little "abrupt" in my first post. I "lost it" when I read your post and had visions of you cranking some fitting into the motor and destroying the threads in the motor!

OK, Let's start over. The fitting in the picture is DEFINITELY NOT a 5/8" pipe thread...there REALLY is no such thing! What you have is an "O-Ring", or SAE ORB, fitting on one end and the opposite end is, in fact, a JIC fitting, but I'm unsure of the size or the angle. It's a hydraulic fitting so it's probably a 37° fitting.

You've got a couple different ways to go here, but your going to need hoses with fittings on both ends. I'm assuming you're attaching one end to your front outlets, so you'll need the disconnect plug, whether JD, Parker or other, which has a 1/4" NPT female thread, so you'll need 1/4" NPT male on one end. Let me know if you have other plans. On the motor end of the hose, bring the fitting to your hyd's guy and tell him you want fittings on the other end to mate with that. If the thread on the tapered end is in fact 1/2" it's a 5/16" fitting, officially called a "-05" fitting. The fitting for the motor end, 1/4" NPT on the other end and the length of the hose, again I'd use 3/8 hose, and your hyd's guy can make up hoses for you.

I've got one more word of advice...err, rather a warning...do NOT use teflon tape on the fittings. The o-ring end seals on the o-ring, so a little oil on the threads, screw it in and done. Put a thread sealant paste on the NPT end and screw it into the disconnect. Put the sealant on a thread or 2 from the end of the fitting to prevent sealant from getting into your hyd system.

Let me know if I can be of any more help or if you have other/more questions, Bob

So I think You got me on the right track here. So I never knew about ORB or SAE ORB until now. I did some research and especially the PDF that was also provided. I did some more searching on Ebay and I found this.

A14 -10AN ORB O Ring Boss Adapter AN Fitting ORB w/ 1/4 NPT on end / Black | eBay

orb.jpg

It seems I have a SAE ORB #10 (5/8) which I want to go to a 1/4" NPT. I have hydraulic hoses, I can get them from Tractor Supply. They sell 36" NPT 1/4" hydraulic hoses for cheap.

I also picked up a Parker 1/4" female bi-directional flow regulator. So there's gonna be a bit more work involved in this but I think I should be good.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Steppin, Sounds like you've got the situation under control.

Yup, plumbing can be "fun" trying to identify exactly what you have! 1/2" pipe is NOT 1/2", 1/4" pipe is NOT 1/4" etc, etc! pipe is measured (roughly) on the inside, tubing on the outside. I'm thinking you probably went round 'n round reading that pdf but you've got it now. Glad I could help getting you in the right direction, Bob

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steppin, Sounds like you've got the situation under control.

Yup, plumbing can be "fun" trying to identify exactly what you have! 1/2" pipe is NOT 1/2", 1/4" pipe is NOT 1/4" etc, etc! pipe is measured (roughly) on the inside, tubing on the outside. I'm thinking you probably went round 'n round reading that pdf but you've got it now. Glad I could help getting you in the right direction, Bob
Thanks,

One other question I have, You said not to use sealant. I'm assuming you mean not to use sealant on the ORB side (where the rubber o-ring is). But can you use sealant on the NPT ends. These have no O-rings. So the NPT 1/4 ends, can use use odinary teflon tape. I see Permatex sells liquid sealant for hydro.

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
Think brake lines.

No tape or dope, no problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What do you use to swage them?
I machined a pair of swaging dies for 1/4" and 3/8" hose and use the arbor press. BTW, I use the Permatex hydro sealant for NPT fittings.

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Steppin, NO TEFLON TAPE ON HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS !!! Teflon tape is fine for gas and water, but not hydraulics. Bits of the tape can break off as your assembling the fittings and work their way through your system. These bits can then become lodged in valve spools causing them to stick/fail. They can also lodge under seals causing them to leak. The rule of thumb is no teflon tape on hydraulics.

There are many paste or liquid type sealants on the market that work just fine and cause no internal damage. Many list teflon as an ingredient and that's OK. It lubricates the fittings and the teflon is small enough to pass through any component in your system with out causing damage/problems. Check local automotive parts stores or hydraulic shops and ask what they recommend.

I would also recommend put a few drops of hydraulic oil on your o-ring and threads on the o-ring fittings prior to assembling them. One last comment, when putting sealant on your fittings, put it only on the male fitting and start about a thread or 2 from the end of the fitting. I put the sealant on and then rub it onto/into the threads with my finger. I then assemble the fittings hand tight, back off a turn or 2, and then re-tighten the fittings...first by hand, then with wrenches. Finally, wipe off any excess sealant. Bob

Reactions: fdmars

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I utilize Loctite 545 on NPT hydraulic and air fittings. I also utilized a similar product on parallel pipe threads both as a sealant and a thread locker.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Although I'm not familiar with Loctite 545, I'm very familiar many of their other products and I'd totally recommend a Loctite product. I've also read quite a few other threads in here where the poster uses Loctite 545.. Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts