Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going by the dealer to get the filter (AM131054 for serial #'s north of 20001), can't find the WIX part# (57103) locally.

My machine calls for motor oil to be used for the hydrostat. JD Plus 50, 15w40 or 0w40 synthetic, or just SAE 15w40, is what the manual recommends. Dealer wants $18/gal for 15w40, and he said triple that for the synthetic (LMAO!)! Thinking of using the same oil I use in the tractor, Delvac 5w40 full synthetic. Anyone have reason not to? I've got 1054hrs on her. Hydrostat seems a little louder this year, than last.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I've been running synthetic 15w40 in a Kubota lawn tractor hydrostat for years with no issues.

·
Registered
21,172 Posts
I don’t see any problem at all running the Delvac oil though it may still be a bit overkill. For an application like that, if I didn’t have anything on hand and had to buy, I would just put conventional oil at the viscosity the manual calls for.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don’t see any problem at all running the Delvac oil though it may still be a bit overkill. For an application like that, if I didn’t have anything on hand and had to buy, I would just put conventional oil at the viscosity the manual calls for.
Yeah I started looking around and that's what I did. Picked up some conventional 15w40 oil that met the specs @ rural king. $25/3gal

Side note.

First time I ever went into one of the local Deere dealers today, for the filter, and new hydraulic reservoir cap (each were $12). They had John Deere branded bucket of shop towels, the exact same that I buy from Farm & Fleet, only the John Deere branded versions was $13.99. I mean come on. (BTW, they're super handy to have mounted all over the shop, just not for $14)

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
First time I ever went into one of the local Deere dealers today, for the filter, and new hydraulic reservoir cap (each were $12). They had John Deere branded bucket of shop towels, the exact same that I buy from Farm & Fleet, only the John Deere branded versions was $13.99. I mean come on. (BTW, they're super handy to have mounted all over the shop, just not for $14)
People always say when it comes to Deere you're paying for the color so I hope they were at least green towels?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
People always say when it comes to Deere you're paying for the color so I hope they were at least green towels?
I had sticker shock, and panicked. Forgot too look at the color of the towels.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This was the first time I have done the hydraulic oil change since I've owned the machine. The way this system drains, according to the manual, is to unscrew the filter and let it drain out that way. 2+ gallons of fluid, pouring out of the filter mount, at Grand Canyon carving speeds, let me tell ya. Find something else to do while you're waiting on it to finish, sheesh.

Does anyone think that #28 would happen to be a drain plug right from the bottom of the pump? EDIT; It would be a PITA to get to anyway, behind the fan.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,172 Posts
This was the first time I have done the hydraulic oil change since I've owned the machine. The way this system drains, according to the manual, is to unscrew the filter and let it drain out that way. 2+ gallons of fluid, pouring out of the filter mount, at Grand Canyon carving speeds, let me tell ya. Find something else to do while you're waiting on it to finish, sheesh.

Does anyone think that #28 would happen to be a drain plug right from the bottom of the pump? EDIT; It would be a PITA to get to anyway, behind the fan.
Without seeing it in person - I don’t have my 757 anymore - I would suspect that by removing that plug #28 may not let the entire system drain.

Probably not getting it all out through the filter nipple anyway but good enough according to the manual.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I use a vacuum oil extractor.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
21,172 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I should look into that. Are they created equal?
I use a large one from Harbor Freight, it's air charged via a venturi port that creates the vacuum. A bit spendy but well made and I wouldn't be without it...so much easier to cleanly change the oil in small engines and large...use it on everything from my Jeep to my generator.

Pneumatic Oil Extractor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts