Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time I dropped the plug in the oil collection pan. One side of the drain plug washer had ridges and one side was flat. Figured the flat side goes to the machin, so that's how I put it back. Does anyone know which side goes to machine.

Also, did the front axle fluid. One of the vent Allen screws head was stripped. I got it out with vise grips. I have a combo set of both metric and standard but the thread looks finer on the JD vent hole plug. By any chance, does anyone know what part# it is? I got it back in and snugged it with vise grips. Would like to replace it.

Front axle level was very hard for me to read because the new fluid is so clear on the yellow dipstick. Hoping when I run it a bit the residual dirty fluid will slightly color it so I can read it. It seems a bit high but it's hard to tell. Would a higher level hurt anything?

Would much appreciate advise.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I can't help with the part no. . As for the fluid , I put JD red dye in my hydraulics for that exact reason . Makes a huge difference . Hopefully someone will chime in with a part no. Good luck !!!:cheers:

·
Registered
524 Posts
I can get the part number for you tomorrow. I'm off work right now and didn't bring my computer home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
524 Posts
As far as the washer either way works I've done same thing and just put it on lol. Doesn't seems to matter unless I've gotten luck every time and put it on the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
I can't help with the part no. . As for the fluid , I put JD red dye in my hydraulics for that exact reason . Makes a huge difference . Hopefully someone will chime in with a part no. Good luck !!!:cheers:
Me too, in the transmission oil though. I've never seen JD put the red dye in front axles.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Old trick for the dipstick. Clean and dry well. Shake a lil powder on it.. Reinstall. Remove and check level. Level will be easy to see.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the part# for the vent screw. Still wondering why that washer has ridges on ones side. Felt the are on the hydro oil pan around the drain plug hole and it was smooth so smooth side of washer went toward pan.

Have no trouble reading trams dip stick. Perhaps it's grey color and the deeper cross hatch pattern makes it easier. After letting sit and adding a little at atime, got it right up to the higher end of the dip stick limit.

Checked the front axle dip stick about ten times. Just did it again. Wiped it clean than screwed it in and took it out. I dabbed a tissue and kept working my way down till the tissue gained a wet spot. It's a little bit above the upper limit.

Is too much oil in the front axle a problem??!

If I look at the length of the range, I might be another 1/4 of that amount above, maybe a bit less. That's of I'm reading it right.

Was also thinking of running the tractor in 4wd tomorro with the hope of the darker residual dirty oil left after draining giving me enough color for a better reading.

That vent screw is annoying the s$&t out of me. I have a nice set of long T handle Allen wrenches that I use to use to Chang motor pulleys. I always clean out the hex hole and tamp it in so it sits snug. That Allen screw head just rounded. Luckily there was enough above the housing to get a bite and than screw it back in with pliers. Hoping JD stocks it. I have sets of metric and standard but couldn't find that size with a thread that fine.

Any opinions on a possible front axle slight overfill would be highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old trick for the dipstick. Clean and dry well. Shake a lil powder on it.. Reinstall. Remove and check level. Level will be easy to see.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Just did it. It works GREAT. My front axle oil is about 1/3 of the distance of the safe zone above the upper limit. Can easily open a drain a it and lower it or if it's not a problem leave it. I wonder if the level goes down after circulation and air goes to the top in axle???

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
First time I dropped the plug in the oil collection pan. One side of the drain plug washer had ridges and one side was flat. Figured the flat side goes to the machin, so that's how I put it back. Does anyone know which side goes to machine.

The ridges of the washer go towards the pan being sealed. This is the way it always has been on brake calipers or oil reservoirs I have worked on. The grooves make it harder for oil to leak between the sealing washer and the pan if what it seats against is not perfectly flat.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I wouldn't worry in the least about it being a little overfill.

Reactions: Firemark

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

The ridges of the washer go towards the pan being sealed. This is the way it always has been on brake calipers or oil reservoirs I have worked on. The grooves make it harder for oil to leak between the sealing washer and the pan if what it seats against is not perfectly flat.
This is correct.

But if your plug isn't leaking, just leave it and flip it at the next change.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe that when checking the fluid in the front axle you do not screw it back in you push it in till the stick stops. I just mentioned this so you don't drain any fluid if your not checking it that way.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
I believe that when checking the fluid in the front axle you do not screw it back in you push it in till the stick stops. I just mentioned this so you don't drain any fluid if your not checking it that way.
I remember this from one of my Deere manuals from many years ago. It said to check any fluid with a dipstick - remove, wipe, then reinsert dipstick without screwing it in then pull to read. Every since then that is what I do out of habit. I have not seen anything like that in any newer manuals for my equipment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts