Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a 2001 model 4300 and the other day he lost power steering and all hydraulics. After getting off and seeing a trail of oil leading back to the tractor he found the leak. Here are some photos so you can see what happened.
pic_2.jpg

pic_1.jpg

pic_3.jpg

It looks like a freeze plug popped out. Seems odd to have a freeze plug on the hydraulic oil reservoir. Anyway, I can't find any reference to this plug in the service manual. Does anyone know what you call this plug and how to replace it? I'm guessing it's pressed in at the factory...

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Is this a 4300 with hydrostatic, gear or sync reverser transmission? It's really hard to tell what we're looking at from the photos as there is a lot of flair and lack of contrast. Is that plug on the front or rear of the rear housing? Unfortunately, the only photo that shows anything useful is the last one. Sorry - just trying to understand what we're looking at so we can try to help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a 4300 with hydrostatic, gear or sync reverser transmission? It's really hard to tell what we're looking at from the photos as there is a lot of flair and lack of contrast. Is that plug on the front or rear of the rear housing? Unfortunately, the only photo that shows anything useful is the last one. Sorry - just trying to understand what we're looking at so we can try to help.
A sticker on the side of the tractor says "Sync Shift". So, I assume it has a sync reverser transmission.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures they are a poor attempt to zoom in on the location. The plug is on the front side of the housing on the right side of the tractor.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Here are the Metric specs in case you can source something locally.

Specification
Weight: 0.07 LBS 0.03 Kg
Diameter44.979 MM
Length8.130 MM
Stock Thickness1.520 MM
Radius0.800 MM
MaterialSTEEL
FinishB

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would also want to know why that plug would have come out in the first place. Is the tractor stored outside? Do you have freezing temperatures in the winter? I'd wonder if some water got in the fluid and froze at some point and pushed it most of the way out.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
It looks like a freeze plug popped out. Seems odd to have a freeze plug on the hydraulic oil reservoir. Anyway, I can't find any reference to this plug in the service manual. Does anyone know what you call this plug and how to replace it? I'm guessing it's pressed in at the factory...
Looking at the location and parts illustration it appears like the plug is covering an access hole for servicing the pinion shaft and bearings.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
17 - Cap

Part Number F21029 < $10
Is there possibly another cap? That hole looks way bigger than 1.7-inches. I also don't see the pinion shaft inside. It looks pretty open inside the hole.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Is there possibly another cap? That hole looks way bigger than 1.7-inches. I also don't see the pinion shaft inside. It looks pretty open inside the hole.
Boy ya got me. It was a good idea to post the measurements. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, it looks like we are on the right track. I don't know the hole size, but I will find out. My dad lives 2 hours away.

Assuming it is the right hole, what is the best way to get the cap in? I'm guessing a wooden dowel and a hammer?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Assuming it is the right hole, what is the best way to get the cap in? I'm guessing a wooden dowel and a hammer?
I'd ask your dealer. I have no clue.
They call it-- PLUG, EXPANSION

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Thanks guys, it looks like we are on the right track. I don't know the hole size, but I will find out. My dad lives 2 hours away.

They make freeze plug installation tools. I did a quick Google search and there are YouTube videos and lots of discussions on how to install them. I even saw one on making a home made tool.

I also see where they make rubber expansion plugs that you stick in the hole and then tighten a nut until it expands to the correct tightness. These would probably work well in an application where there isn't much heat or pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My brother is at home this weekend and he measured the 2 holes in the picture. The small hole is 0.55" in diameter and the larger hole is 2.125".

I'll get on YouTube and watch the videos on installing freeze plugs...

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Wouldn't the cap that's missing from the OP's tractor be #10? It appears that #17 would be at the rear of the transmission.

The photo doesn't clearly show if the bearing and pinion shaft are where you would expect. I'd be investigating that further before installing a new cap to insure that failure of internal parts wasn't responsible for knocking the cap out.

10 - Cap

F21037SC
Part Price:7.98 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description:Cap - PLUG, EXPANSION
Package Quantity:1
English Metric
Specification
Weight:0.07 LBS 0.03 Kg
Diameter1.936 IN
Length0.220 IN
Stock Thickness0.060 IN
Radius0.031 IN
MaterialSTEEL
FinishB
Note

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Wouldn't the cap that's missing from the OP's tractor be #10? It appears that #17 would be at the rear of the transmission.
:dunno:Good observation, :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trying to troubleshoot this problem from 100 miles away can be a challenge:) My brother got under the tractor and took another picture.
pic_4.jpg

As you can see, there is no pinion shaft. In fact, you can see the plug on the back of the casting. I can't imagine that pinion would have fallen out and if it had, he would have found it on the ground by following the oil trail.

This being the case, I'm guessing that this tractor has another type of transmission or I'm barking up the wrong tree. It seems from here that there are 3 different types: Gear, Sync Reverser and Hydro. After navigating the Parts Catalog I have not found any exploded diagram that matches what the pictures are showing.

The tractor Product ID Number is LV4300C435420. Is there a way to determine what components are on the tractor based on this number? It is a 2 wheel drive machine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts