Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thanks for reading. I am restoring a 318 and 3 of the 4 front quick connects are seized. Any tip or trick to free these? I've sprayed pb blaster on them but not sure what else to do. Thanks a lot.

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
The trick is opening the wallet and buying new, once those little balls get rusty there isn't much fixing them.

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
Nope not at all. You'll need to get them from the dealer though, they use -06 ORB threads and they are hard to find in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Kennyd, ??? JDparts show a AM37982 for front couplers on a 318...for all serial numbers. Looking at part detail, it calls out 1/4 NPTF.

Bob, I replaced the front couplers on my 322...2 came right off and 2 twisted the tubing...requiring re-piping! LIBERALLY spray the nuts & sleeves on the tubing. Let soak, re-spray...plan on 3 days! Next, remove snap rings. Mine had very small holes (0.050) for snap ring pliers and my pliers wouldn't fit...just pop them out with a small screwdriver. Using 2 wrenches, attempt to loosen tubing nuts. Keep a close on on tubing to see if it wants to twist...hopefully not! You can try to unscrew the fitting from the coupler, but not too much to grab on coupler and not too much wrench room!

Upon reassembling, make sure snap ring pliers fit! I ended up drilling snap rings to 1/16" so my pliers would fit. Slip snap ring on/over tubing, put thread compound on fitting...DO NOT USE teflon tape!..., and tighten coupler. Install snap ring and that's it! Remove innermost coupler first, then outermost. Install outer first, and then inner...this will give you the max amount of wrench room.
OH! Fluid loss: Maybe 1/2 ounce or less from each fitting...probably less. Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts