Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.. just joined...and hoping to stick around for a long time. Ready to pull the trigger on a 2018 scut. test drove one at dealer yesterday and noticed that i could not get the loader boomand bucket to.move at the same time.. same with the backhoe valves.. only one valve at a time.. however.. i looked at a used 2017 and although tough to find.. i was able to hit that one spot on FEL stick that got both valves to operate.. am i missing something here?? i am comparing to the kubota bx23s. if it wasnt for this i would already have a green garage!! any insight would be awesome!!thanks

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I have a 2013 1025R. Granted the SCV on the 1 series is not conducive to multiple functions, although, it can be done quite easily once you get used to it, in fact I have gotten really good at it.

First, you have to have the throttle up.

When raising the FEL, pull back on the SCV to raise, then move the SCV lever to the right slightly.

I moved 4 ton of stone yesterday. Every bucket of stone, I raised and rolled the bucket forward simultaneously without any effort.

Now, it does take getting used to it and the only way I found it works easily is if you are full control stick raising and then feather to the right. Now, when moving both functions at the same time, both slow down considerably.

I know many have said the Kubota BX series is easier to multiple function on the FEL and it may very well be.

That all said, more than the FEL raising and rolling simultaneously, drive each tractor for several hours. The JD two pedal propel compared to the Kubota one rocker pedal is enough to give the JD a major advantage, not mention the drive over mmm, the 3 point control that returns to the exact same spot every time and the ease of changing implements.

Now, the Kubota is an excellent tractor, so you have to make you own decision. The dealer is also something to consider. Not all dealers are equal, so maybe the Kubota dealer has a much better reputation than your local JD dealer.

When I bought mine, I already owned a JD and my local JD dealer is as good as the my local Kubota dealer, both are excellent, so my decision really came down to what I wanted which was the JD. Of course, in 2013, the BX Kubota wasn't as nice as the new BX Kubota's. They have changed allot on these tractors.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Ray-Pa put it very well.
Many folks claim simultaneous functions are not possible on the Deere and it is simply not true but it does take finding the sweet spot.
As he stated speed will be cut in half since you are now filling four cylinders instead of two.
Many have reported that Kubota has a superior control and I would concede this is likely true but after test driving every brand overall the Deere was my selection.
No matter if you buy green, orange or any other you will likely find each of them extremely handy.
Good luck with your shopping.

·
Premium Member
13,863 Posts
Like Ray said, JD's scv is just that, a single function. With time you'll easily get the feel for it but each tractor is different too, my 1023 was much harder to find but my 2025 I've gotten very good at two functions at once. IMO JD is still ahead of Kabota in the CUT race, but then again I have a biased opinion. :lol:

:wgtt:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so much for the reply..i guess i need to head back and try the 1025 again.. what about the backhoe? maybe i didnt have the rpms cranked up

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
thanks so much for the reply..i guess i need to head back and try the 1025 again.. what about the backhoe? maybe i didnt have the rpms cranked up
It's the same thing with the backhoe. There is a sweet spot which allows multiple functions, but it usually takes me a while to find those spots when I first start using the backhoe. Even then, the motions aren't as well balanced or smooth as they would be with a true backhoe or excavator, but they do work.

Higher RPM's don't enhance multiple functions for me. I usually run around 2200 RPM as that gives me the most comfortable speed of operation and smoothness. Higher RPMs make for faster movement, but the movements are a bit too jerky for my taste.

Something to keep in mind when performing your tests is that when operated in actually conditions where there is resistance and gravity in play, both the loader and backhoe will perform a little bit differently than when "dry" tested. For me, a loader bucket full of material or a backhoe bucket engaging or moving earth operate much smoother and the sweet spot is easier to feel, than when they're empty.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Here is a video showing backhoe use. Hopefully you can tell that most of the movement is more than one thing at a time.

I disagree about needing high rpm. You can do multiple controls at the lowest possible rpm, obviously it is slow but I find it no more difficult than at a higher rpm.

Reactions: PJR832 and OxPath

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Something to consider, and that is while two functions are possible, smaller tractors with small hydraulic pumps dont really have the flow volume to run two functions efficiently, which is why its hard to find them with the control valve on some like Deere. Others may be easier to find, but they wont be any faster in reality.

My dealer called me about this since I was one of the first to by a 2025R from them. They had a guy comparing it to the Kubota, and said thiers did two functions and that was his hangup. Well, I told him, I suppose maybe Kubota is easier to find the two for one spot, but if thats the big hang up, you arent looking hard enough at the tractors. In the little tractors, this should be about the last thing to worry about, since the speed/volume isnt there to make it significantly faster to do two functions at once vs one at a time or learning the sweet spot.
Thats not to say it shouldnt be a concern at all, but for me there were so many other differences, this one was minor in comparison.

I can verify that the backhoe will work two functions at once, but again, you have to get used to it.
Running higher RPMs makes it easier, but it also makes it harder to control accurately until you are used to it. If you havent used a small TLB before, its best to start slow, get good with it, THEN try to get faster by increasing engine speed and working two functions.

Reactions: Emeribd

·
Premium Member
13,863 Posts
Well, I told him, I suppose maybe Kubota is easier to find the two for one spot, but if thats the big hang up, you arent looking hard enough at the tractors. In the little tractors, this should be about the last
It was my understanding that Kabota puts a true two function valve on their's :dunno: thought I remembered seeing that in a Messick's video. Wouldn't have been enough to sell me anyway, plus a Kabota has variable pressure, more pressure with increased rpms where as JD is full flow at idle. Maybe I'm wrong on that but that right there and that forward/reverse pedal are enough to keep me away.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It was my understanding that Kabota puts a true two function valve on their's :dunno: thought I remembered seeing that in a Messick's video. Wouldn't have been enough to sell me anyway, plus a Kabota has variable pressure, more pressure with increased rpms where as JD is full flow at idle. Maybe I'm wrong on that but that right there and that forward/reverse pedal are enough to keep me away.
I believe you are correct about the valves on the Kubotas now that I think about it. But that certainly makes it easier, lol!
Certainly wasnt enough for me, and orange is my favorite color...apparently just not on a tractor:bigthumb:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'm not sure about Kubota using a variable volume pump but I don't see how that would be an advantage on such small units.
GoodWorksTractors, a member here recently put out a K vs D SCUT comparison video where the K wouldn't even lift the loader at idle and maybe a variable flow pump would explain that?
I also wonder if Kubota's single cylinder tilt cylinder perhaps uses less fluid with some mechanical advantage than Deeres two cylinder design.

·
Registered
196 Posts
hello all.. just joined...and hoping to stick around for a long time. Ready to pull the trigger on a 2018 scut. test drove one at dealer yesterday and noticed that i could not get the loader boomand bucket to.move at the same time.. same with the backhoe valves.. only one valve at a time.. however.. i looked at a used 2017 and although tough to find.. i was able to hit that one spot on FEL stick that got both valves to operate.. am i missing something here?? i am comparing to the kubota bx23s. if it wasnt for this i would already have a green garage!! any insight would be awesome!!thanks
I'm in the same situation with trying to decide between the 1025r and the BX23S. This is one of the things that bothered me as well was the hydraulics. The Kubota is a lot more smoother and wish JD could figure out the same. Someone else posted about the valves being different on the Kubota and having to run at higher RPMs and I think they are correct.

Overall, I decided on the JD 1025r over the Kubota. I went to buy it and for whatever reason people bought the 3 models they had on the lot the same week I went to buy one. They won't have any back in stock until December.

But I just liked the feel of the JD better. Seat was more comfortable and felt roomier. The JD has better specs than the BX. You get more options for your money like the front end loader bucket level, side lights, 3-point hitch, front loader bucket edge, although proprietary you get the quick attach with the front end loader, etc. Kubota seems to nickel and dime you for everything. The 3-point hitch is extra, although replaceable unlike JD the front end loader cutting edge is extra, quick attach front end loader is extra, etc.

The only thing that scares me about the JD is the amount if issues looking through the forums. I see more problems on the JD side and found it hard to find issues with the BX23S for some reason. I know the new Kubota quick connect for the front end loader leaks and some small things like bolts getting loose and that has been about all I could find. With JD, I keep seeing problems with the rock shaft on the JD being issues. Some are self inflicted, but most don't seem to be and looks to be an expensive fix if not covered under warranty.

Also, make sure the one you get has the upgraded Air Cleaner kit installed. If it is mounted on the valve cover then it is most likely an older model. The new ones should be mounted towards the front. You can see Tim upgrading his to the new model. Issues With John Deere Compact Tractor! Air Cleaner Bracket Update and Repair - YouTube

Also watch some of Tim's videos. He has also helped with my decision going with JD with some of things he as done with his 1025r.

Good luck! I'm patiently waiting for the dealer to call me in December for mine!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts