Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While this doesn't have to do with tractors I hope someone can help me. I am installing a Hydro winch on my off road truck and I want to control it with a DC solenoid valve. From what I have read it appears that I need a 4 way valve but I am unclear of what kind. The whole open and closed center and work ports blocked or open to tank has confused me due to lack of info on the subject.

·
Administrator
17,096 Posts
Welcome,
Lack of info? LOL there is more info than one could shake a stick at, some of it is even useful :laugh:

Anyway, your question cannot really be answered without knowing what kind of pump is operating the system.

This Army manual has a lot of basic info: http://www.derijcke.com/dl/manual.pdf

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not really enough info in your question to give ONE answer. Is pump running when winch is not? Anything else in hydraulic circuit? However, I would suggest an open center valve. When your pump is running the fluid will pass through an open center valve and return to the tank (when valve is in neutral position). With a closed center valve, the fluid is dead-headed at the valve and the pump will continue to build pressure until the relief valve opens. This will generate unnecessary heat in the oil. Personally, I've never seen a need for blocked work ports...they don't hurt, but don't help either! Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts