·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
Wow...

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Ouch! That will definitely make you think twice. Very good reminder that this equipment we use can be very dangerous!

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ok so I am new to whole hydraulics thing and you may recall that I purchased a X728 w/ a 45 loader earlier in the summer (that a few of you helped me with a hydraulic leak earlier). Seeing this post on oil injections concerns me and I have a couple questions. Is it ok to check the lines by hand with the machine shut off and with the pressure relieved from the lines? Also, to relieve the pressure from the lines I just jiggle the loader levers once the machine is shut off, correct?
Thanks guys, trying to be safe!

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
Ok so I am new to whole hydraulics thing and you may recall that I purchased a X728 w/ a 45 loader earlier in the summer (that a few of you helped me with a hydraulic leak earlier). Seeing this post on oil injections concerns me and I have a couple questions. Is it ok to check the lines by hand with the machine shut off and with the pressure relieved from the lines? Also, to relieve the pressure from the lines I just jiggle the loader levers once the machine is shut off, correct?
Yes that would be fine. Looking for leaks after the system is been relieved with your hands is ok. You can use a piece of cardboard to put near a suspected area when the machine is running. And yes, to relieve the system pressure all you have to do is move the loader joystick in a few circles.:good2:

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Yes that would be fine. Looking for leaks after the system is been relieved with your hands is ok. You can use a piece of cardboard to put near a suspected area when the machine is running. And yes, to relieve the system pressure all you have to do is move the loader joystick in a few circles.:good2:
Test:

Say your using the loader and have a bucket full of rocks rasied up about 3-4 feet. You notice a "fog" or "mist" in the air so you shut the tractor off to investigate without lowering the FEL, you start feeling around the lines to look for a leak, could you have fluid injected into your hand?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Test:

Say your using the loader and have a bucket full of rocks rasied up about 3-4 feet. You notice a "fog" or "mist" in the air so you shut the tractor off to investigate without lowering the FEL, you start feeling around the lines to look for a leak, could you have fluid injected into your hand?
I would say YES!!!! still under pressure

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
X2

All of the hydraulics would need to be at rest. The loader needs to be lowered (this would of course happen when the joystick was moved around if the loader was not resting.), the 3PH needs to be fully lowered, and any additional hydraulic accessory needs to be relieved or at rest.

Excellent point Kenny. :thumbup1gif:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
X2

All of the hydraulics would need to be at rest. The loader needs to be lowered (this would of course happen when the joystick was moved around if the loader was not resting.), the 3PH needs to be fully lowered, and any additional hydraulic accessory needs to be relieved or at rest.

Excellent point Kenny. :thumbup1gif:

Sent using Tapatalk.
Yes, of course you guys are correct:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks Kenny and all for the advice.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Keep in mind that fuel pressure from the diesel injection system can do the same thing.

·
Registered
980 Posts
When I was working in the motor pool at Andrews AFB we had a guy guide an air over hydraulic grease gun onto a fitting in a blind spot with his other hand and he injected his finger full of grease, quite a nasty thing. This can be accomplished with any high pressure fluid if you are not careful.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Newer GM Duramax Diesel engines have upwards of 25,000psi of fuel pressure under heavy load and 3,000 idling. When a line/component develops a leak on the high side you will see what looks like steam coming from under the hood. Scary pressures indeed. That is why fuel filter replacement is critical on these engines. All it takes is a little debris in the fuel system combined with those kinds of pressures and you now have a flow-jet steel cutting machine like you see on Orange County Choppers literally cutting the insides of the fuel system to pieces.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts