Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a grapple for my 1025r....what hydraulic adapter do you guys recommend and how hard is it to install?

thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Kens Bolt On Hooks has a diverter kit - Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Hydraulics>>

Tractor Time with Tim has an excellent video on how to install a specific diverter valve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFmGu6rbvoI

While Im not familiar with each exact diverter kit, the premise should be pretty much the same regardless of which you got.

With basic hand tools, any DIYer should be able to handle this in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just bought a grapple and diverter

I just added a JD grapple and Artillian diverter kit. KBOH helped me with a couple of the pieces parts I needed to make the diverter hoses fit the grapple. I looked at a couple of other grapples, most had long lead times. My JD dealer had it in my hands in 36 hours and I had it working later that day. The Artillian kit is an easy install with great directions and if you feel uneasy, Tractor Time With Tim shows how easy it is to install. Do I like the JD grapple? Very much. It grabs a load and hangs on to it. Again Tractor Time With Tim has good video on how to operate a grapple.

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have the Artillian Diverter kit. It has it short comings. The hoses from the diverter to the floorboard Quick Couplers are short, which made the FEL difficult to connect and especially disconnect. So that was $60.00+ dollars extra to correct. The Artillian "button box", that tie wraps on to the joystick handle, is rather hokey, in my opinion. So I remedied that with a "Enhanced Pistol Grip Actuator" at the tune of another $300.

In my opinion, the John Deere third function hydraulic kits are a better value and likely less costly with the "fixes" to the Artillian kit. It is a true third function hydraulic circuit, not a diverter. The FEL lines are hard lines, not hoses. It is a "cleaner" design and not "hung on the side". I would have went with the Deere kit for my second 1025R (had purchased the first Artillian before the Deere kit was announced), but I have an incompatible option, "Independent Lift" on both of my 1025Rs. So the Artillian Diverter is my only option.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
In my opinion, the John Deere third function hydraulic kits are a better value and likely less costly with the "fixes" to the Artillian kit. It is a true third function hydraulic circuit, not a diverter. The FEL lines are hard lines, not hoses. It is a "cleaner" design and not "hung on the side". I would have went with the Deere kit for my second 1025R (had purchased the first Artillian before the Deere kit was announced), but I have an incompatible option, "Independent Lift" on both of my 1025Rs. So the Artillian Diverter is my only option.
Just wondering when Deere is going to eliminate these "incompatible options" on their 1025R/2025R tractors? Lord knows we pay the premium price for them.
You know in this day and age there is absolutely no good reason why one can't have rear SCV's, power beyond and true third function hydraulics all at the same time from Deere,(like on the 3 and 4 series tractors). Folks do it all the time on these tractors with their home fabricated hydraulic plumbing. Why is it that Deere can't step up to the plate and offer this on these premium 'R' tractors?
Just not acceptable anymore. Deere should be leading the way with these options and not content with the mindset that, " nobody else offers it, why should we". What a crock. Am I not right with this thinking? Convince me otherwise.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Just wondering when Deere is going to eliminate these "incompatible options" on their 1025R/2025R tractors? Lord knows we pay the premium price for them.
You know in this day and age there is absolutely no good reason why one can't have rear SCV's, power beyond and true third function hydraulics all at the same time from Deere,(like on the 3 and 4 series tractors). Folks do it all the time on these tractors with their home fabricated hydraulic plumbing. Why is it that Deere can't step up to the plate and offer this on these premium 'R' tractors?
Just not acceptable anymore. Deere should be leading the way with these options and not content with the mindset that, " nobody else offers it, why should we". What a crock. Am I not right with this thinking? Convince me otherwise.
First, you're singing to the choir. That being said, I'm going to speculate it boils down to the numbers. As the third function front SCV is electric over hydraulic, the electric valve mounts in the same place as the "Independent Lift" electric valve. So it would have to be a combination valve. Even at that, it is a lot of plumbing in a tight area--but probably not impossible. However, how much demand is there going to be for both? If not a lot, it would catapult the pricing and that would mean even less market potential.

As to Power Beyond (PB) compatability, the issue with the older tractors was PB was changed for the 260B backhoe, so the only issue with the third fucntion kit and older PB tractors is the hard line feeding the PB. I wouldn't think that would be too difficult to fabricate and/or there would be enough market whereas Deere could offer the line.

I see from your signature you have a 260B on a 2017. How did you address PB, the seat and the frame reinforcements?

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts
More than the numbers, it’s available real estate to add all that stuff. Lots more room on a 3-series...

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I see from your signature you have a 260B on a 2017. How did you address PB, the seat and the frame reinforcements?
The 260B backhoe was made specifically for 2018 and newer 1025R's. According to my dealer, the only change they could see was a slightly different power beyond hose/hookup. I already had PB installed on my tractor a year earlier when I bought it new. And I specifically wanted the new 260B backhoe or nothing.

Otherwise the 260B bolted right up without any other modifications whatsoever. So... when Deere says in their product brochures about not being retrofittable to earlier 1025R's, we call BS on that one.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
More than the numbers, it’s available real estate to add all that stuff. Lots more room on a 3-series...
A couple of posters I am aware of .. 'Valleyboy' and 'Ray PA' did a most wonderful fabrication job of having PB and 3 or 4 scv's at the rear of their 1025R's.

I dunno, seemed like it was doable to me.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The 260B backhoe was made specifically for 2018 and newer 1025R's. According to my dealer, the only change they could see was a slightly different power beyond hose/hookup. I already had PB installed on my tractor a year earlier when I bought it new. And I specifically wanted the new 260B backhoe or nothing.

Otherwise the 260B bolted right up without any other modifications whatsoever. So... when Deere says in their product brochures about not being retrofittable to earlier 1025R's, we call BS on that one.
OK, correct me if I'm wrong, does the 260B require frame reinforcements and, if so, did they bolt up to your 2017 frame? Your 2017 PB is compatible with the 260B? No issues with clearance between the two seats?

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I use my 4400 for grapple use. Have the 1025r but personally don't think with the weight of the grapple and limitations on the pump that the tractor is the best choice. I know the diverter valve works fine and just as good a separate 3valve spool. Just don't think the 1025r is enough tractor. Would be better suited to the 3 family size tractors.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
OK, correct me if I'm wrong, does the 260B require frame reinforcements and, if so, did they bolt up to your 2017 frame? Your 2017 PB is compatible with the 260B? No issues with clearance between the two seats?
I can't speak to any frame reinforcements on the 260B, and I wasn't there when they installed it, so ?? All I know is what the service manager told me, and that was that it all attached no problem. And you can be right sure if there were any extra parts and/or labour involved I would have been charged extra.

There is no problem with the seats in any way.

Now, all that said, my tractor build date was April 2017..very close to the new 1025R revision that came out after May 2017. So did my tractor have any future revisions on it already from the factory??? Who knows.
And how far back could the 260B backhoe be installed on previous 1025R's?? I'm sure the tech gurus at the Deere headquarters would have that answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts