Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! :bye:

All this past winter and especially today, when I was trying to move a large rock (boulder) with my 1026r TLB, I have been thinking it would be nice to have a temperature gauge for the hydro fluid. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? :unknown:
It seems to me that it would make sense for one to be included with the Backhoe since it really heats up the fluid. Having gauges that let the operator know how the machine is operating is informative.

Mr. Moose

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
Sure they exist, but you'd have to plumb one in and configure a mount for it. Commercial machines often have them standard, but I guess the OEM's of smaller machines think there not needed for the weekend warriors.

FYI, it not uncommon for hydro temperatures to reach 100* above ambient temperature so often we think they are overheating, but really it's quite normal.

A cheap and simple IR "point and shoot" temp gauge will some reassurance, and it's useful for many of other things as well.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have wondered about the temps with my BH also. I remember using it heavy one day last summer the hyd. lines and cylinders felt hot. Cutting roots and working on a large stump the bypass was working overtime. That can build heat and work the fluid hard. I hooked up my box blade and the 3 point was a little sporadic on lifting it. After a while it worked fine. I wonder if the temp had something to do with it? My fluid had less than 60 hours on it so I don't believe it was breaking down.

I bought the 1 series for the BH use when I need it. I want to be sure I take good care of it. I may look into adding a gauge. Did you come up with any helpful ideas psrumors?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like half the time I take my BH out it gets a good work out, so much that I get pinging upon cool down. My thought was to find a temp gauge on a block with quick disconnects and connect it to the power beyond port.

Mr. Moose

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
It seems like half the time I take my BH out it gets a good work out, so much that I get pinging upon cool down. My thought was to find a temp gauge on a block with quick disconnects and connect it to the power beyond port.

Mr. Moose
Pinging? Can you elaborate on this please? :hi:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pinging? Can you elaborate on this please? :hi:
Umm... I'll try...

Heat build-up causes associated metal parts to expand, then when you stop working the metal starts to cool off, contract, and pings/pops (what ever you want to call it). About 5 years ago I rented a Kubota B26 TLB for stump removal and it did the same thing. I even sometimes hear it come from my Uncles commercial equipment.

Mr. Moose

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
Umm... I'll try...

Heat build-up causes associated metal parts to expand, then when you stop working the metal starts to cool off, contract, and pings/pops (what ever you want to call it). About 5 years ago I rented a Kubota B26 TLB for stump removal and it did the same thing. I even sometimes hear it come from my Uncles commercial equipment.

Mr. Moose
Ok. Thanks. I wasn't sure what you were referencing in your earlier post.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Umm... I'll try...

Mr. Moose
I have yet to have my tractor this hot. I worked a rather large stump that took about three hours to get out and didn't get it that hot.

The hardest job for me seems to be running the 60" MMM while pulling the 60" offset mower. But even then it doesn't seem to ping.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have yet to have my tractor this hot. I worked a rather large stump that took about three hours to get out and didn't get it that hot.

The hardest job for me seems to be running the 60" MMM while pulling the 60" offset mower. But even then it doesn't seem to ping.
Oh, I'm not talking about the coolant temperature, that runs cool when doing BH work for me. I am looking for a temp gauge for the hydro fluid with quick connects that I can plug into the power beyond.

Mr. Moose

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Oh, I'm not talking about the coolant temperature, that runs cool when doing BH work for me. I am looking for a temp gauge for the hydro fluid with quick connects that I can plug into the power beyond.

Mr. Moose
Yes, I under stand you are talking about hydro temps.....the running of the MMM and pulling the offset mower seem to be the hardest.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have had the hydraulics hot enough to do the same pinging sound. Hot day, hard workout on the BH. It could be I was running the engine RPMs too high at the same time. You know I thought I really needed the hydraulic pump moving some volume to get the work done. I found low RPM works better and I think it is easier on the hydraulics on with the BH. I don't believe I get them as hot now. I am not sure yet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
Thank you kennyd,
That gauge is in the ballpark for what I am looking for, though I have no experience at all with these things. How are the sender and the gauge connected to each other?

Mr. Moose
Those are electrical, wire connects the sender to the gauge. There are mechanical ones that use a capillary tubes, but the big problem here I see is the pressures, if you plumb into and circuit on the hoe including the PB line, the sender could see 2000+ PSI and I just don't think any are rated for that. The best place would be somewhere in the sump for a gauge IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Those are electrical, wire connects the sender to the gauge. There are mechanical ones that use a capillary tubes, but the big problem here I see is the pressures, if you plumb into and circuit on the hoe including the PB line, the sender could see 2000+ PSI and I just don't think any are rated for that. The best place would be somewhere in the sump for a gauge IMHO.

Kenny,

What about a return line or do you think the PSI is still to high?

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
Kenny,

What about a return line or do you think the PSI is still to high?
I have no way to answer that with authority since I don't know what the senders can handle. Even return to tank lines can see 100-500 PSI just from parastic pressure alone in some cases.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I was trying to find specs for sending units on line today. My next thought was a magnetic one that would attach to the pan or filter housing, if possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts