Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning, folks.

I need help trying to diagnose and convey to my dealer a problem with my 1025r. For quite some time now it’s been leaking hydraulic fluid between the rear wheels... not a lot, just a few spots here and there. It’s been to the dealer several times for this and is there now. They can’t seem to find anything. I noticed that when raising the hitch, I can hear the hydraulics still working (or straining) after the lever is set to a particular position. It is more noticeable at lower RPMs. This doesn’t happen all the time, but just randomly. The service manager said that the ‘Rate of drop/lock valve’ adjustment can cause this. I have this adjusted at mid-point so the hitch doesn’t drop fast and hard – particularly when I have my boxblade on. The manual says never raise the rockshaft when this valve is closed as it will overheat the hydraulic fluid and potentially damage the machine. Can having it partially closed cause the system to occasionally fight itself and maybe leak a bit of fluid? I’ve never closed it. It just sits at that mid-point position all the time. Or is there perhaps an adjustment somewhere that needs to be done?

Also, when they changed the hydraulic fluid last, they overfilled it quite a bit. Can that cause damage? Or will overfilling just cause an occasional leak at some relief port somewhere (if there is one)?

And lastly, I do notice that whining some talk about all the time. Not sure if that's related...

As always, thanks for your help.

Stewart

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
You have several issues here at play.

One, your 3PH feedback rod needs to be adjusted so the rockshaft doesn't "top out" in the full up position and the valve thinks it still needs to raise it up. The valve is still supplying pressurized oil to the cylinder which cannot extend any further. This will cause long term damage if left alone. This heats up the oil dramatically in short order.

Two, the rate of drop valve should have zero effect on raising up the hitch nor should it cause a leak. It is in the drain side of the cylinder. It merely meters how fast fluid can be drained out.

Three, your leak should be relatively easy to find. First, give your tractor a good cleaning. Oil runs downhill unless acted upon by moving air or something similar. Once clean and you can't find the source, sprinkle some flour over the suspect area and the flour will quickly point to the source. This only works on a clean and dry tractor.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have several issues here at play.

One, your 3PH feedback rod needs to be adjusted so the rockshaft doesn't "top out" in the full up position and the valve thinks it still needs to raise it up. The valve is still supplying pressurized oil to the cylinder which cannot extend any further. This will cause long term damage if left alone. This heats up the oil dramatically in short order.

Two, the rate of drop valve should have zero effect on raising up the hitch nor should it cause a leak. It is in the drain side of the cylinder. It merely meters how fast fluid can be drained out.

Three, your leak should be relatively easy to find. First, give your tractor a good cleaning. Oil runs downhill unless acted upon by moving air or something similar. Once clean and you can't find the source, sprinkle some flour over the suspect area and the flour will quickly point to the source. This only works on a clean and dry tractor.
Thanks, Diesel. I have noticed that the system still trying to 'work' even when the hitch is only 1/2 raised. Can the feedback rod being out of adjustment cause this issue at mid-point lift?

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Thanks, Diesel. I have noticed that the system still trying to 'work' even when the hitch is only 1/2 raised. Can the feedback rod being out of adjustment cause this issue at mid-point lift?

Thanks again.
I wouldn't think so. Is your hitch "bouncing" when this happens? What are you doing when you notice this?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't think so. Is your hitch "bouncing" when this happens? What are you doing when you notice this?
The hitch is not bouncing. I noticed this when the tractor was parked and down just above idle. I raised the hitch about 1/2 way and noticed the hydraulics sounding like they were still working even though the hitch was at the point I set it. I started to play with it and could hear this happening at different raise points, fully raised and at different RPMs. It seems to do it less when at full RPMs. I did have the boxblade with six 42lb suitcase weights on the hitch and (I think) the deck was on as well. So it was lifting a bit of a load.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What does it indicate if the hitch bounces?

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
What does it indicate if the hitch bounces?
It's saying your 3PH valve is wacky. It either needs to be adjusted, repaired, or replaced.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My bet is your hydro fluid is getting hot and pushing out the dip stick or wherever the breather is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The hitch is not bouncing. I noticed this when the tractor was parked and down just above idle. I raised the hitch about 1/2 way and noticed the hydraulics sounding like they were still working even though the hitch was at the point I set it. I started to play with it and could hear this happening at different raise points, fully raised and at different RPMs. It seems to do it less when at full RPMs. I did have the boxblade with six 42lb suitcase weights on the hitch and (I think) the deck was on as well. So it was lifting a bit of a load.
Did you try removing some weight? It sounds like you are overloading the 3ph, if I understanding what you are saying. You have the box blade on, along with 6 suitcase weights hanging on it? Depending on the make of box blade you have, with the bb and weights, you are nearing the 650 pound mark, along with the weight of the deck, if the lift works off of the 3ph. Also, how old is your machine? It may not have been a problem in its younger years, but over time the spring in the pressure relief may have weakened, and needs adjusting to increase capacity. Hot oil will also cause the relief balance to open easier.

The 3 ph will make a squealing noice at the valance when you overload it. Also, it may lift partially, and stop when it becomes too much load.

I suggest removing some weight and try it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually Diesel, as I think about it, if the Drop/Lock Valve is open all the way, it will bounce if I drop it and stop it before it lands on the ground. I thought this was normal - especially if the hitch is loaded with the BB. Is it not normal?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you try removing some weight? It sounds like you are overloading the 3ph, if I understanding what you are saying. You have the box blade on, along with 6 suitcase weights hanging on it? Depending on the make of box blade you have, with the bb and weights, you are nearing the 650 pound mark, along with the weight of the deck, if the lift works off of the 3ph. Also, how old is your machine? It may not have been a problem in its younger years, but over time the spring in the pressure relief may have weakened, and needs adjusting to increase capacity. Hot oil will also cause the relief balance to open easier.

The 3 ph will make a squealing noice at the valance when you overload it. Also, it may lift partially, and stop when it becomes too much load.

I suggest removing some weight and try it.
Hmmm. Good call, GPrice. Thanks. But I think I'm under the max. My BB is the Frontier 48". I believe it weighs in around 275lb. Add the 6 suitcase weights and the total is 527. But maybe that is still pushing it a bit much?... I'll try removing two weights and see what happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts