Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 322 newly acquired all of a sudden shuts off when lever is pushed to the right even before I can move it forward or backward.. The PO disconnected the seat switch somehow ( I'm not an electrical guy ) I had a grommet issue on the tank, replaced both and decided not to reinstall the low fuel sensor because gas was leaking out the holes where the wires came out in the brass, removed the wires and plugged the holes. Also replaced the fuel line and greased the driveshaft from up top but didn't mess with any wires. It will start and take gas but as soon as the lever is pushed to the right it shuts off. I must have done something but have no clue what. As I said, I'm not an electrical guy so any diagrams and electrical jargon will be lost on me.. Any ideas ? The simpler the better,

Had worked fine prior to the grommet/fuel sensor removal. Is there anything I can remove/change/delete to get it working again ? Seems likely I did something but can think what it could be Before I removed and plugged the holes in the brass and removed the wires I asked on another forum whether they were needed and was told no they were just for the low fuel light in the dash to come on.. I hate removing the body again but if I have to so be it but wouldn't know what to do if I did.. Am I correct the only wires under the tank that are now working only for the rear lights ?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Well, simple but probably dirty! Just guessing here, but it sounds like a loose plug on TCDM (Time Delay Control Module). This is located underneath the tractor on the right side of the firewall engine side. You should have may 8 or more wires connecting to it so not too hard to identify. Unplug, spray with contact cleaner or parts cleaner, plug in, disconnect plug in, 3 or 4 times.

Not sure about wires UNDER fuel tank. but on my 322 there are 3 "sets" of wires: 1 for rear light, 1 for seat switch, and 1 for fuel level sender. If tractor cranks/starts, seat switch is OK.

Locate TCDM and clean connection. Report findings back... or questions! Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, simple but probably dirty! Just guessing here, but it sounds like a loose plug on TCDM (Time Delay Control Module). This is located underneath the tractor on the right side of the firewall engine side. You should have may 8 or more wires connecting to it so not too hard to identify. Unplug, spray with contact cleaner or parts cleaner, plug in, disconnect plug in, 3 or 4 times.

Not sure about wires UNDER fuel tank. but on my 322 there are 3 "sets" of wires: 1 for rear light, 1 for seat switch, and 1 for fuel level sender. If tractor cranks/starts, seat switch is OK.

Locate TCDM and clean connection. Report findings back... or questions! Bob
Yes I found that conglomeration. The problem is you need to have a 6 year size hands to get at that stuff. For a short time I had nothing as in zilch. By messing with them I got the lights ( except dash ) and starter working but no fuel pump. I checked the pump and I can't see any wires coming out of it to an electrical source. Did I knock one off ? Is there a hidden one somewhere ? I don't see anything but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it ? I do see a few wires in a white connector that are bare almost an inch before going in the connector. Made sure they were separated but nothing changed. The fuel pump has me stumped, has to be a wire somewhere going to an electrical source.

BTW.. for what it's worth I checked the two fuses, both were good..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for arguments sake, if the same colored wires going in the white connector are coming out, could I just snip them and connect them w/out the plug in connector ? What purpose does that same if, for example, 4 wires go in and 4 wires come out and you color match them if snipped..

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
The seat switch is the issue, weather it’s the switch or the associated wiring is the question

When the neutral switch loses contact the seat switch must sense an operator or the engine shuts off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK.... I understand that when its connected. But how was the tractor functioning normally when it's been disconnected by the PO for 4 years without an issue ? And it was also functioning normally for me until I did the grommet/fuel line change. That part I don't understand..

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
OK.... I understand that when its connected. But how was the tractor functioning normally when it's been disconnected by the PO for 4 years without an issue ? And it was also functioning normally for me until I did the grommet/fuel line change. That part I don't understand..
Wires and splices go bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts