Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI... If you change the engine oil filter on just about any engine, you lose about a pint max of oil. If you change the hydro oil filter on a 2520, you lose about 2 1/2 gallons...BTW, I have the manual and know how to read...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
2.5 gal, isn’t that just about the whole volume of the hydro unit?

·
Super Moderator
7,803 Posts
FYI... If you change the engine oil filter on just about any engine, you lose about a pint max of oil. If you change the hydro oil filter on a 2520, you lose about 2 1/2 gallons...BTW, I have the manual and know how to read...
Yup. That filter is near the bottom of the hydrostatic sump so unless you're Quick Draw McGraw you'll lose most of your fluid.

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Was this a response to an earlier question? Did you ever try applying a bit of suction to the filler hole?

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
here's a thought change both oil and filter same time you can never go wrong with fresh oil. I'm glad you paid attention in school and learned to read :read
This.

I’ve had my 2520 for 12 years and have always changed the fluid and filter at the same time. Don’t know why anyone would do differently but what do I know....

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
This.

I’ve had my 2520 for 12 years and have always changed the fluid and filter at the same time. Don’t know why anyone would do differently but what do I know....
On certain equipment it is not uncommon for the manufacturer to recommend changing the hydraulic filters more frequently than changing the fluid. I believe its this way on some Kubota small tractors. Perhaps the OP's previous tractor was such.

The Gen-2 2-series for example instructs to change the hydraulic fluid every 1200 hours (or 3 years) but to change the two hydraulic filters every 400 hrs.

However, the 2520 maintenance schedule is to change both the filter and fluid at the same time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This.

You beat me to it, was gonna say the same thing.

Maybe some manufacturers recommend changing filters more often than the fluid, but their machines are probably set up so you don't lose everything when you unscrew the filter. Read the operators manual before doing maintenance.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
On certain equipment it is not uncommon for the manufacturer to recommend changing the hydraulic filters more frequently than changing the fluid. I believe its this way on some Kubota small tractors. Perhaps the OP's previous tractor was such.

The Gen-2 2-series for example instructs to change the hydraulic fluid every 1200 hours (or 3 years) but to change the two hydraulic filters every 400 hrs.

However, the 2520 maintenance schedule is to change both the filter and fluid at the same time.

That filter only change has a couple other requirements too though.
Kinda surprised me that they did that at all, but maybe it will be a new trend with them. Id bet a lot of oil at 400 hours is about as good as new, which is why the testing is likely required.

Transmission oil can be changed every 1200 hours or 3 years if the following requirements are met:

Use John Deere Hy-Gard™ or Lo-Vis Hy-Gard oil.
Suction and transmission filter are both changed every 400 hours.
Perform oil-scan of transmission oil every 400 hours or once per year.

I havent done an oil sample for a while, but I think they are around $60. Although I also recall a Deere dealer program for that too that might be cheaper.
For that, Id just change the dang oil and be done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This.

Tractor was in to the dealer because something let loose in the rockshaft. They dropped the oil, checked the screen but didn't replace the filter...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts