Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never taken an oil sample on the hydrostatic drive before this so this is simply a baseline sample.
I had just finished mowing for 2.1 hours at normal operating temperature.
No gremlins breeding in there yet.:laugh:
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 9.35.18 AM.png

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quantitative values of everything listed in the report???
Healthy components, low numbers in contamination, sufficient additives remaining, viscosity etc.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Dave, I don't know the cost, so this could be cost prohibiting. I'd send a sample of fresh oil right out of the bottle. THIS will give you a true baseline.

I used to do oil sampling where I worked. My boss was constantly trying to save pennies and kept changing oil brands. We he'd change, I get a sample from the new bottle and then samples from the engines. You'd be surprised at the differences in brands of oils as far as additives, particulates, etc.

Keep an eye on dropping levels of various chemicals/additives and increase of metals, particularly iron, along with carbon content. These indicate metallic wear of steel.

The other side of the coin, if you change oil every 100-200 hours, you shouldn't have any oil problems, and metallic wear can most likely be seen in the oil drained. Bob

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, I don't know the cost, so this could be cost prohibiting. I'd send a sample of fresh oil right out of the bottle. THIS will give you a true baseline.

I used to do oil sampling where I worked. My boss was constantly trying to save pennies and kept changing oil brands. We he'd change, I get a sample from the new bottle and then samples from the engines. You'd be surprised at the differences in brands of oils as far as additives, particulates, etc.

Bob
Good idea Bob about sampling new oil. I'll just do that! :thumbup1gif: The kits are cheap enough through my JD dealer.
And you're right about seeing the huge difference between brands of oil when it comes to the analysis between them. Been there-done that.:banghead:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly if there are bad results what would someone do? I don’t see any plus to rebuilding before it blows up.

JD set their intervals on real data. Stick to that and run it.
My thoughts were to catch a failing pump or motor before it went into grenade mode and took out other components in the system. Personally, I'd spend $5K to fix a $25K tractor with 1000 hours on it knowing it's maintenance record.
Likewise with an engine oil sample that comes back with coolant or silica in the sample. The fix might be as simple as a head gasket or an air filter. Yes, I agree JD set their change intervals with solid data but it's my money now that I have invested in S/N LV3520Hxxxx.
That's just me and my OCD with my green tractor :laugh: :greentractorride:

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
My thoughts were to catch a failing pump or motor before it went into grenade mode and took out other components in the system. Personally, I'd spend $5K to fix a $25K tractor with 1000 hours on it knowing it's maintenance record.
Likewise with an engine oil sample that comes back with coolant or silica in the sample. The fix might be as simple as a head gasket or an air filter. Yes, I agree JD set their change intervals with solid data but it's my money now that I have invested in S/N LV3520Hxxxx.
That's just me and my OCD with my green tractor :laugh: :greentractorride:
I don’t know your particular tractor, but I’ve yet to see a hydro failure cause collateral damage, unlike engines where preventing a rod vent being added to the block is a major consideration.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Honestly if there are bad results what would someone do? I don’t see any plus to rebuilding before it blows up.

JD set their intervals on real data. Stick to that and run it.
Trade it in before it blows up!!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Not a lot of large particles and I can't believe how low the water content is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts