Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up 2 gallons at $25 dollars a gallon and I wanted to check here to see if there was a good cheaper alternative before I put it in? Any help is appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,652 Posts
Use what you just bought and sleep better at night. Pretty cheap insurance considering how often you will need to change it.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
Use what you just bought and sleep better at night. Pretty cheap insurance considering how often you will need to change it.
Good advice.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm not sure if there is anything that meets the J20D spec, there a few options that meet the J20C spec.

Since your in Kentucky you might get away with that J20C spec rated alternative brands.

I'm going to direct you to this post which lists some alternatives, though they may not be cheaper:

Substitute for John Deere Hy-Gard J20D? | Hydraulic Fluids | Bob Is The Oil Guy

If you are still under warranty you will probably will be best serve sticking with the Deere stuff.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion here about HyGuard. I asked the very same question you did. For what its worth, there are other quality brands out there sold at other dealerships like New Holland, Massey Ferguson & Kubota. I was going to buy my HYGuard from New Holland who has convinced me that my JD would not get a tummy ache on New Holland's formula & that it was 100% compatable.

However, as stated here in this thread, it is better in this case to stick with the JD stuff which is what I did in the end as well. However I fully undersand your asking because I too find the prices at the JD dealer to be freaking out of line insane. That dealer who is charging you $25. a gallon should really explain that to you. Im down here in SC & the local thief I go to charged me $18. per gallon. There can't be that much of a regional difference in price???? Maybe next time you & I should ask our respective dealers to give us at least one kiss before he sc..w's us.

:nunu:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ditto to all the above. Like maddog said that seems high for a gallon :unknown: I haven't bought any for maybe 6 months now but it was NOT over $20 a gallon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My father inlaw picked it up and told me the cost later, I put it in already I'm too OCD with my stuff not to use it. I am not finished with the dealer. I will let them know I will not purchase anything there again. I am really kicking myself for not checking to see if I could have added it to my order on GFP. I guess I just needed to vent.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I certainly do not know what JD policy is when it comes to dealer prices. Im sure the dealers are dictated to as to how low they can sell tractors & allied implements for. They also may tell them the top end price on any equipment as well so that dealers can have fair competition with each other.
But when it comes to maintenance line items it appears that however the dealer can manipulate the customer, it's fine with JD parent ship. I guess they figure it will keep the dealer happy & give them some ability to run their business like they were really in charge of it. I've said this before. We are not JD's customers, The dealers are their customers & that's who they serve & protect.

And for my fellow members who do not feel over paying 20-30-40% more for an item is no big deal, then please remember that on everything else you buy and add that up. Maybe I can set up a retirement fund here among the retired members & share the wealth. Who would like to be first to donate.
:munch:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck I guess I can't complain too much I just checked on GFP to see how bad I got ripped and it's $22.51 on there, I will figure out a good alternative for next go round. I guess the increasing number of guys running it in their race car transmissions like I used to have made JD really proud!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts
I paid 17.03 per gallon here in N.E. Tn. part #TY22000 back in April.:greentractorride:

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
I bought a gallon of Low-Vis two weeks ago for my 455, it was $18 and change.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I have a friend I grew up with that farms full time around 1000 acres and has several brands of large tractors. He likes JD Low vis Hygard so much, he runs it in all his tractors not just the green ones. He said it is far superior to anything he has found yet as far as heat, smoothness of shifting, wet brake/clutch behaviour, and hydraulic controls smoothness. SO remember you get what you pay for... maybe...sometimes...hopefully.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I always used Hygard in my 20 year old 425 and never had an issue with the tranny. Still running strong and never a whine. A buddy of mine used the "cheaper" brand in his 455 and complains about the noises it makes after putting it in. I told him: "Don't complain. I told you not to do it." He's now regretting it and plans to change it back to Hygard. It's costly, yes. But, not as much as a new tranny.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a friend I grew up with that farms full time around 1000 acres and has several brands of large tractors. He likes JD Low vis Hygard so much, he runs it in all his tractors not just the green ones. He said it is far superior to anything he has found yet as far as heat, smoothness of shifting, wet brake/clutch behaviour, and hydraulic controls smoothness. SO remember you get what you pay for... maybe...sometimes...hopefully.
I don't think anyone is complaining about the product quality. The complaint is the the wide price swings from dealer to dealer. If I order an item from Lowes in NY, and the same item from a Lowes in CA.
the price is the same 99.999% of the time. I would expect some price difference from competing dealers & from location to location on a regional basis, but not to the extent we see it at.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I don't think anyone is complaining about the product quality. The complaint is the the wide price swings from dealer to dealer. If I order an item from Lowes in NY, and the same item from a Lowes in CA.
the price is the same 99.999% of the time. I would expect some price difference from competing dealers & from location to location on a regional basis, but not to the extent we see it at.
The OP's question was about lower cost substitutes for Low Vis Hygard, not pricing disparity across dealers....That's a whole "nuther" thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All my conversations are open for any type of discussion, price, value, etc. My whole hang up with the whole thing is that it is oil. It has a job and specs and surely with as many JD's out there using the stuff surely someone else has tapped into that market. If not maybe I should start an oil company, give it a crazy name and tint my oil green and say it has added benefit.... "Flener's Fabulous Green Oil" makes your deere run like a doe!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
All my conversations are open for any type of discussion, price, value, etc. My whole hang up with the whole thing is that it is oil. It has a job and specs and surely with as many JD's out there using the stuff surely someone else has tapped into that market. If not maybe I should start an oil company, give it a crazy name and tint my oil green and say it has added benefit.... "Flener's Fabulous Green Oil" makes your deere run like a doe!

I like your idea! Sort of like Marvel Mystry Oil which is good for everything that's gone wrong with your engine! They even claim it can cure the common cold:laugh: Now if you can dye your stuff so that it pours out with alternate green & yellow stripes, you'll really have something you can charge $50. a gallon for! Just don't let Deere find out!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts