Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to use my new JD X354 to cut a very long lawn after all the rain we have had and guess what? 14.5 hours of use and the drive belt for the deck was off and totally jammed under one of the pulleys. I was fine last time I used it. I tried to get the pulley off to get the belt out but no luck. The nuts were so tight I could not budge them. JD dealer coming tomorrow. That's good service for this time of year. The must be very busy but it is a new tractor I purchased from them.:banghead:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Glad to hear they are taking care of it. My new JD3025E was turning black...as the paint was peeling off. JD is out today putting a new hood on the tractor. Good service, but frustrating to have new equipment that does not work. At least you'll be able to see how the X354 performs on a VERY very long lawn.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Make sure the nuts aren't left-handed. You can turn a left-handed nut counter-clockwise all day long and never get it to break free----though it might break off if you twist enough!

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Glad to hear dealer will take care of it for you , but an impact wrench with impact sockets (metric and sae) is a handy thing to have especially when changing or sharpening blades . Hope the issue doesn't repeat !!! :bigbeer:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Any new machine has the potential to have problems come about during the first few hours of operation. When a problem does surface, all the dealer can do is react to that problem as quickly, efficiently and professionally as possible. First and foremost the customer is taken care of and given that warm fuzzy feeling that everything is ok and taken care of.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You probably had a stick get in there and run the belt off.

I worked at a metric bike shop one summer as a service writer. A customer dropped off a new quad for a faulty neutral switch. He made sure to tell me that it is under warranty so he doesn't expect a bill.
The tech put it up on the lift to check out. Sure enough something poked up into the undercarriage. It bent edge of the skid plate over and broke the switch right off the transmission. It couldn't be more perfect of a shot. Part of the switch was still in the case and the other part was hanging from the wires. Then I had to make "the call". Of course he didn't believe me but gave the okay to order the part.
When "they" (with his wife) came to pick it up we showed them what was left of the old switch. Then we put the machine back on the lift to show them the damaged skid plate underneath. After that there wasn't any denying what happened. He didn't want to pay for a new skid plate so we just bent it back.
Then the wife proclaims "I told you (husband) that I ran over a stick" lol
Apparently she was riding it when the switch stopped working. lol

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You probably had a stick get in there and run the belt off.
First mow with my brand spankin' new 1026/54D deck. Belt squeeeeealed and then the deck quit. "Drive over deck" so I drove over it and found the belt off. No culprits like sticks or stones... Wait a minute, under one of the pullies barely visible was a small stone sticking out. No bigger then an elongated marble but... it had a heavy black stripe of belt rubber all the way around it. I thanked the "Easy Fix Gods" and put the belt back on and no trouble since. Only thing still puzzles me is where I picked up that stone having never gone over any bare patches or gravel, etc., and how it jumped up right into the correct spot to derail the belt...:unknown::banghead::laugh:

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Might not have been you

First mow with my brand spankin' new 1026/54D deck. Belt squeeeeealed and then the deck quit. "Drive over deck" so I drove over it and found the belt off. No culprits like sticks or stones... Wait a minute, under one of the pullies barely visible was a small stone sticking out. No bigger then an elongated marble but... it had a heavy black stripe of belt rubber all the way around it. I thanked the "Easy Fix Gods" and put the belt back on and no trouble since. Only thing still puzzles me is where I picked up that stone having never gone over any bare patches or gravel, etc., and how it jumped up right into the correct spot to derail the belt...:unknown::banghead::laugh:
I wonder if the rock was picked up during the transport from the factory or when the dealer delivered it.

Glad it was an easy fix.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I wonder if the rock was picked up during the transport from the factory or when the dealer delivered it.

Glad it was an easy fix.

Treefarmer
Next time I go to the dealer I'm going to check what kind of gravel he has around there! :laugh:

Very possibly the stone was hiding under one of the drive over "ramps" or under another pulley on the deck. I don't have any roundish "river gravel" on my place. Just goes to show again, "If it can happen, it will happen (to Hydro and most every one else).:laugh:

·
Registered
375 Posts
The other day when I was mowing with my 1025 I heard the mower noise pitch change slightly through my earmuffs and felt the vibrations of the tractor change a tad. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what changed, but there was something different now compared to the first 20 minutes of mowing. It was a very slight change, but something was different.

After letting it bug me for 5 minutes I finally decided to stop the tractor, pull off the deck, and have a look around. Eventually I found a four inch long 1/2 inch wide stick wedged under the deck belt. It wasn't rubbing hard, but it has a polished spot from the belt. I haven't the foggiest where I picked it up, but I did realize that I should have checked out the tractor when she first started talking a different tune and my gut was telling me something isn't right.

After clearing the stick, I pulled out the grease gun and hit the zerks on the deck and the pto shaft for good measure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amazing Service

My dealer Little's in Zeiglersville, PA returned my tractor to me today after it threw a belt. It was picked up late Friday and returned to me today Monday. Fabulous service even if it was a new purchase. Thank you, Little's!! Now I can attach the high grass. By the way, they did not find anything wrong that they could see. Belt just came off. I know I did not hit anything. Great job.

:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Great Service :bigthumb::bigthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts