Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bent one of my Frontier AP12F 48” forks. The bend starts about 14” from the end. I’ve had the forks for six years. Any ideas on how to bend it back?
Thanks very much,
Randy
World Wood Water Freezing Font

Water Water resources Green Wood Grass

Branch Wood Water Tree Trunk

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hottest heat I got is map gas. Would that be hot enough?

• Sad
Reactions: tj1 and driveshaft

·
Premium Member
17,080 Posts
How on Earth did you bend the fork UP?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm not an expert, but this guy seems to be one on the subject:

How to Address Bent Forklift Forks

The short answer is - it's time to look for replacement forks. You’ve probably seen videos online of people heating and bending their pallet forks. Some people have gone as far as to weld their forklift tines with a hydraulic press.

While this may appear to be a quick fix, the integrity of the steel is lost with heat. Once compromised, the integrity of the forks is gone forever. Just because forklift tines look like they once did doesn’t mean they’ll have the same strength. If you “fix” your forks with heat, you’ll never know their new forklift capacity. Therefore, you’ll never be able to operate safely.

Not only is reshaping forklift forks dangerous, but it is strictly against OSHA regulations. In fact, OSHA explicitly states, “Modifications and additions which affect capacity and safe operation shall not be performed by the customer or user without the manufacturer’s prior written approval.”

This mandate covers forklift blades as well. More often than not, the right choice is a replacement. If you have a question or concern about the integrity of your pallet forks, contact your manufacturer.

Though it may be tempting, a DIY fix is not a reliable or viable option. Instead, it is incredibly dangerous. Spend the couple hundred dollars to invest in new forklift blades if yours are bent.
I realize the load bearing capacity of a forklift is lightyears beyond that of a typical tractor so that plays into it...but something to consider.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I bent the fork removing a stump. The soil is all sand. I had removed at least 40 stumps with out a problem. The fork must have gotten wedged and I most likely did something I normally don’t do.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
What I would try is placing the end under something substantial (aka too big to move with the tractor) and place a substantial object (aka block of steel, large brake drum, etc) under the bent area. With the fork still on the frame, curl the forks up and see if that does the trick. Not totally against heating forks, but I'd attempt to fix it without first.

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
I would use a press, but NO heat. I'm sure a local machine, fab, or even auto shop could help you.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Why not stick it in a press....NO Heat..?

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
I would use a press, but NO heat. I'm sure a local machine, fab, or even auto shop could help you.
^^^^^ This. Exactly this. ^^^^

Any local welding/fab shop will be able to straighten this on a press. It shouldn’t be expensive either. Perhaps the shop minimum charge

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
👆

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There’s a guy in town who may be able to help me but if not he would know someone that may. Definitely not going to try it on my own. The other option would be to get another fork and just use the bent one when I’m digging. The The John Deere dealer said they only sell forks in pairs and it would be north of $500 for the pair. I’ll keep looking.

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Forks are tempered steel. Heating and bending it will weaken the fork at that spot. Bring it to a gas station with a good press. If you bent it on a stump you can bend it back with a press.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts