Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well if you really want to get technical...ALL decks are drive over 😁
My lazy self learned that this weekend but i have much less weight on my deck. :)

·
Premium Member
10,574 Posts
Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well to update the thread. There were some trucking delays in the tractor making it to Goodworks.
it arrived at goodworks week later then expected. He sent me these pics of it Friday when it arrived.
New or latest ETA to me is at least another week, next Friday probably the earliest.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Really cool machine. If they had still been making these, I would have picked a 4 series over the 3. I assume there were design challenges and too few takers with this option, but I really like the larger loader capacity of a 4 series with a mid mount mower.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice tractor but that MMM deck looks aweful tight under there. I would be afraid the anti scalp wheels would cut the rear tires if you hit something.

Reactions: jgayman and cc1999

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Nice tractor but that MMM deck looks aweful tight under there. I would be afraid the anti scalp wheels would cut the rear tires if you hit something.
No doubt a concern for sure if pushed into a bind . The 3039R is tight as well and I have had issues with that very thing happening. I have started to figure out what sort of terrain maneuvers to avoid .
Will soon see how it goes with the larger 4 series .

·
Registered
800 Posts
For what it's worth, the red slow vehicle sign in the rear of the tractor can be easily be removed by lifting straight up, no fasteners to mess with. Slick design. I took mine off since I rarely run my 4720 on our road.

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
For what it's worth, the red slow vehicle sign in the rear of the tractor can be easily be removed by lifting straight up, no fasteners to mess with. Slick design. I took mine off since I rarely run my 4720 on our road.
Oh yea, I have a pile of them in the corner of the barn . My stuff really never leaves the property under its own power.
So that's normally the first thing I do is yank those giant triangles off there. They really obstruct the view of your 3pt and draw bar.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I'm super happy with my 4720, I suppose a belly mower would be okay for a large turf grass field but not so good in a pasture.
Reason the Mid PTO was dropped for the 4R series the Mid Mount Mower Never sold well In the 4X20 series But Had sold well In the Previous 4X10 series. Deere Never Made a auto-Connect or a drive Over deckor even Marketed it as a Drive Over deck for the 4X20 series do to weight of the Tractor Plus In the 4x20 series the Mid PTO was only for a Mid Mount Mowing deck Deere didn't Build Other Mid PTO implements either for the 4X20 series Most Blowers or Brooms Marketed for it were Loader mounted & Hydraulic driven with the Hydraulic Power Pack (y)

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
When I bought my 4720, I briefly considered adding the mid PTO option--it wasn't expensive, but after realizing that it couldn't be used for other implements, and considering the tractor is 68" wide, I decided that it wasn't a good fit....66hp and a 72 inch deck didn't make sense to me. Now if there were an 84 inch drive over deck, I may have been all over it.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I figure even if I don't use the MMM mower very often for whatever reason, it will be nice just having a second 60hp machine to pull my 17ft bat wing mower.

Switching on and off all the attachments on my 4066R about once a week this summer, was getting old fast.
Yesterday I mowed the whole place with the 3039R using its 72" Mid mount mower, it takes about 6 hours doing it that way and 1-2 hours trimming out with the X758.

I only did it that way for the first time this season largely because I wasn't done with the dirt work that I had the 4066R setup for.
I really didn't want to strip the bucket and land plain off and hook back up to the bat wing.
Also grass was taller this week then normal, since it rained all last week, the 3039 has a mulching kit on it so figured it wouldn't hurt to use it one last time before it trades out for the 4720.

Kinda was regretting that a bit after 6 hours in seat with what normally takes 1-1.5 hours when I uses the bat wing.
Lol
I could have convertered it over and back in less then hour.
Net it would have saved me about 4 hours. Lol .

Oh well got some good seat time in the 3039R before it goes.

I am really excited to see if I can tell any performance or sound differences my 4066R tier 4 emission Yanmar motor and the 4720's pre-emission John Deere motor.

Not so excited about the bill I will be getting to add all the hydraulic scvs to 4720. LOL
Basically will need to add the 4th and 5th scv to the back and the kit to take the 3rd scv on it from the back up to the front basically all the same ones I have on the 4044R that is going away soon.
I also got that trade deal finally locked down to down size the 4044R and X700 into a new 2025R with the new 120R MSL loader.
Looks like its all coming together well. Swapping out 3 machines for 2 and improving overall capability/versatility in the process. With all the upgrades needed. Not actually saving as much as I had hoped to save, that is in total investment dollars, but saving is still little bit overall.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I am really excited to see if I can tell any performance or sound differences my 4066R tier 4 emission Yanmar motor and the 4720's pre-emission John Deere motor.
The JD 2.4 liter Powertech is a great engine, they have been used many years on skid steers, air compressors, generators, boats, etc.
They are good for about 10,000 hours according to my dealer's service manager. They are kind of a noisy engine though.
You could probably say that the Yanmar is a little more refined, but I can't see how it would be any "better" than the Powertech.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The JD 2.4 liter Powertech is a great engine, they have been used many years on skid steers, air compressors, generators, boats, etc.
They are good for about 10,000 hours according to my dealer's service manager. They are kind of a noisy engine though.
You could probably say that the Yanmar is a little more refined, but I can't see how it would be any "better" than the Powertech.
Great info, thanks.
I only have a 100 hours on my 2019 4066R it's not quite a year old yet. This 4720 has over 700 hours on it. Good to know if that is case, it's just barely been broke in if it was designed to run 10,000 hour before a rebuild. That is great.
Diesel noise never bothered me any, I sort of like the sound and small of diesel in the morning. I actually have a sign in the barn stuck on my tool box that says that. Lol

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I don't know about the 4720's it is not standard on the current 4066R. My 4066R does not have it.
I am going to say it's bonus option. The other unicorn that Goodworks did the video on was 2008 and I believe it also had the self leveling loader.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I bought my 4720 with 320 hours about two years ago and I've already put over 350 more hours on it. The engine is indeed noisy though, but not bad at all in the cab. Good to hear the 2.4L is a robust and widely used engine.

By the way, the original owner of my 4720 never put a loader on it, the dealer added the H180 loader when he took it on a trade in. He knew it would never sell without one. So the H180 will retrofit the 4720 model.

Reactions: arlen

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just got word, the 4720 is getting picked up today to head it my way.
Should have it here, I would think in the next couple days.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You'll enjoy it! I'm glad mine has the epto as well. We don't NEED 60 hp for mowing.
View attachment 754158 View attachment 754160
Nice!
Looks like there is now 3 maybe 4 of us on here now with this rare 4 series and MMM setup.
True on the 60 hp with it's MMM, but I do need the 60 HP for my bat wing.

Which currently only my 4066 can handle, now this 4720 should serve as good backup whenever need be.

41 - 60 of 155 Posts