Green Tractor Talk banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
It may be the same kit number as yours. I will check with the Befco dealer here tomorrow.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for your help.

Randy

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Hey CC1999, Sorry, I don't have any pics of the deck with the turfs on it. Here is a good source for info, just not always correct, good for basic stuff.

27x12LL-15

44x18.00-20

Be prepared for sticker shock adding 2nd step, I priced it out a while back a year or 2 after 4066 came out. North of 300.00 bucks!!! That's why I don't have one on mine. Don't want to just fab anything to get one. want it to look like it's OEM, plus almost positive JD one will hit deck.

Great news that the deluxe guard will fit from the 3 series. Not surprised about the 4 series brush guard not fitting, it is totally different. It has great improvements to it to keep the loader center bar that rests on top of the bumper from lifting off bumper and banging around.

My batwing is actually a Befco with green paint. Why was there a issue with the hydraulic hook up with the batwing? It doesn't appear that you have the hydraulic un-lock for it?

Allen.
I think I finally figured it out, the Versa turf, or rather in the larger sizes is called a Galaxy Garden pro R-3 Radial

44X18-20 should be 44" tall

This tire which looks just like a Versa turf radial
These are in metric sizes. 380/70/24 looks real close its 44.9 x 15 -24
Or could go a bit smaller and still use the 20" rims.
They offer this tire in a 320/70R20 = 37.6x12.6-20

The R4s that are on it now are 16.9-L24 Which IMO is a terrible way to size a tire.
I found some specs on tires of that size and it seems that size = about 51-52" tall tire on a 24" rim.
So going with a 44" tire on a OEM 24" rim would pickup 3-4"s more clearance for the deck.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Being this is a 4wd tractor should I also be looking at dropping the size down on the front tires. Ie.
The rear tire height change is about 15% shorter then the R4s that are on it.
Should I also be looking to drop the front tire size a similar amount.

Also with dropping the size of the tire does deck allow for adjustment so you can get some height out of it when you pick it up. It only raises 3-4 " s if I drop the tractor height by 3-4 inches by shrinking the tire size with the turf tires.
It would seem that if not able to make adjustments to correct the deck raise and lower capability that it would not be able to raise or lower at all, it would essentially be stuck all the way down. If you follow what I am saying. ????

·
Registered
274 Posts
Aren't the tires what limit the deck travel? If you go smaller will that not give you more clearance to raise the deck? I thought the tire sizes had to be specifically matched on a 4x4. Don't the fronts have to be such that they pull just a bit over the backs?

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Aren't the tires what limit the deck travel? If you go smaller will that not give you more clearance to raise the deck? I thought the tire sizes had to be specifically matched on a 4x4. Don't the fronts have to be such that they pull just a bit over the backs?
I am curios about that front tire size if 15% change in the rear will require a similar change in the front. I could see where it might make have to get a turf set for the front as well.

As far as the lift, it only can lift so far with the range of the rear 3pt hitch, they are tied together.
What was being mentioned about getting the clearance needed to pin the deck all the way up in more a transport type position. The 3pt does not come close to lifting it that high . I would assume that has to be done manually with some jacks then pin it up in place. The 3pt appears to be only power up, and then gravity down which only seems to have 3-4 inches of travel max.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Update on the upgrades.
I got the 4066R's double step ordered for the 4720.
They had to order it pcs by pcs. Cost was $238 .
The steps are supposed to be here tomorrow.
It's really a bit of groin puller getting up in and out of that thing, with only 1 step on it.
Be really glad to get that double step on there.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I am curios about that front tire size if 15% change in the rear will require a similar change in the front. I could see where it might make have to get a turf set for the front as well.

As far as the lift, it only can lift so far with the range of the rear 3pt hitch, they are tied together.
What was being mentioned about getting the clearance needed to pin the deck all the way up in more a transport type position. The 3pt does not come close to lifting it that high . I would assume that has to be done manually with some jacks then pin it up in place. The 3pt appears to be only power up, and then gravity down which only seems to have 3-4 inches of travel max.
There may be some adjustment in the 3 point control rod to allow a bit more height before the 3 point goes into relief. It was common for backhoe owners to have to tweak that a bit in order to lift the hoe high enough to mount.

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
476 Posts

The turn buckles that attach to the back of the deck have more than enough adjustment to use the 3pt hitch to get deck to transport height.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
You have to keep the correct ratio , front to back for the tires or sever damage can occur.
Looks like the OEM front turf is a 27" tire.
The matching front for the Galaxy Turf pro3 radial is a 30" tire. I will dig a little deeper and check the percentage change by comparison IE. the Rear drop about 15% in height.
There has to be some leeway there, since front tires are always turning and seem to wear down faster then rear tires. At least I would think there would have to be some leeway there.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Looks like what comes on the front in the form of an R4 is also a 30" tire. Looks like to get a 27" front tire I will have to go with the regular R3 Bias ply turf or a R4 of some sort. Still exploring options.

Anyone know what the 8 lug rear bolt patter is on these 4 series machines and also the center bore.
I found some used rims on ebay and the same place has the good price on the Galaxy R3 radials shown here in this thread yesterday, they say they can mount the tires on those used rims and ship them to me ready to go.
I am not near the tractor this afternoon to go measure and the deere website is not giving me those specs or I have not found them listed anywhere. Looked at specs and parts breakdowns nothing found .

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Update on the upgrades.
I got the 4066R's double step ordered for the 4720.
They had to order it pcs by pcs. Cost was $238 .
The steps are supposed to be here tomorrow.
It's really a bit of groin puller getting up in and out of that thing, with only 1 step on it.
Be really glad to get that double step on there.
If you don't mind, can you post the part #'s? I also would like to add this to mine.

Thanks Allen.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
If you don't mind, can you post the part #'s? I also would like to add this to mine.

Thanks Allen.
Working on sorting that all out now.
I went and pickup the parts that were shown in the breakdown for the step. All had to be ordered individually.

However when I went to install it. I discovered that the black brackets that hold the steps are different.
I am looking into that now.

The double hole thing is not a big deal, I could drill out the 4720's bracket. At least that looks simple enough. However there is noticeable upturn on the 4066 bracket that would make an overall height difference and would have some minor effects on ground clearance where that step is concerned.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #155

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Update: She goes in for hydraulic surgery next week.

Also looked up some interesting comparison data on the 4720's 400CX self leveling loader vs the standard 440R loader found on my 4066R. Been a lot of chat on here lately about some of the new self leveling loaders Deere came out with for the smaller machines. So I decided to investigate the capability of my other 2 tractors.

4066R 440R loader specs.
Loader type:John Deere 440R
Height (to pin):110 inches [279 cm]
Clearance, dumped bucket:86 inches [218 cm]
Dump reach:30 inches [76 cm]
Dump angle:47
Clearance, level bucket:102 inches [259 cm]
Reach at ground:67 inches [170 cm]
Breakout force (at pin):4027 lbs [1826 kg]
Breakout force (at 500mm):3037 lbs [1377 kg]
Breakout force (bucket):3427 lbs [1554 kg]
Lift to full height (at pin):2539 lbs [1151 kg]
Lift to full height (at 500mm):1885 lbs [855 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at pin):3023 lbs [1371 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at 500mm):2413 lbs [1094 kg]
Bucket width:73 inches [185 cm]

4720's 400CX self leveling loader spec's

Loader type:John Deere 400CX (MSL)
Weight:1100 lbs [498 kg]
Height (to pin):110.9 inches [281 cm]
Dump reach:27.5 inches [69 cm]
Dump angle:45
Rollback angle:41
Breakout force (at pin):3512 lbs [1593 kg]
Breakout force (at 500mm):3159 lbs [1432 kg]
Lift to full height (at pin):2194 lbs [995 kg]
Lift to full height (at 500mm):2339 lbs [1060 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at pin):2627 lbs [1191 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at 500mm):2576 lbs [1168 kg]
Raise time to height:3.68 s
Bucket dump time:1.6 s
Lowering time:2.48 s
Rollback time:1.1 s

Reactions: arlen

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
....i assume you have considered the MMM deck when adding the extra step? .........

as far as scvs....i would definitely look into the 3rd scv front to rear switch jasper mentioned earlier.....i have also seen that setup at a show and dont remember the details ...

intresting thread guys(y)

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
....i assume you have considered the MMM deck when adding the extra step? .........

as far as scvs....i would definitely look into the 3rd scv front to rear switch jasper mentioned earlier.....i have also seen that setup at a show and dont remember the details ...

intresting thread guys(y)
Oh, I am not sure if here will be any clearance issues with it, but when the mower deck is on the machine it can act as the bottom step should I need to remove the second step for clearance issues.
There is only 2 small brackets and 4 nuts and bolts to remove and change it back to a single step.

For those interested in the step the big steel plate that I mentioned earlier came in this week.
I can post final pics and part numbers once I get my final invoice.

Update on the 4720.
The 4720 is in the shop this week getting the 4th and 5th scvs added, the auto throttle added, the relocation kit added for the 3rd function out to the loader the new steps from the 4066R cab model added.
I am having all the switches rearranged in more traditional positions. 3 switches were being added so we pretty much had to change the layout anyway.
It should be a much more ergonomically functional switch layout when finished.

Pretty excited to get it back setup to actually be able to use for more then just the very limited task it could do when i got it, being without a good hydraulic scv setup. Only 1 rear and nothing up front really limits what you can do with tractor like this. It should be able to anything and everything my 4066R can do and then some being it has mid PTO and MMM, and a MSL loader as well. I did use it to pull the bat wing a couple times mowing before I put it in the shop. Tractor runs great ! Pain in the rear trying to control multiple hydraulic functions on the batwing with only 1 rear scv.

Overall very happy with this new addition to the stable.

Reactions: rtgt and ttazzman

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
any clue what the charges for just adding the 4th n 5th scvs........been looking at 4720s and most dont have the 4/5th scvs just wondering what the appx cost is .....

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
any clue what the charges for just adding the 4th n 5th scvs........been looking at 4720s and most dont have the 4/5th scvs just wondering what the appx cost is .....
Adding 4th and 5th runs about $2000.00 for the kit's , and that is including misc. parts and the labor.
Routing kits to relocate the 3rd function to the loader is about the same approximately $1800.00.

I am expecting a bill for all that they are doing to it, that I listed in that earlier post, to run me about $4000-$4500.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts