Green Tractor Talk banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Update on the 4720.
The 4720 is in the shop this week getting the 4th and 5th scvs added, the auto throttle added, the relocation kit added for the 3rd function out to the loader the new steps from the 4066R cab model added.
I am having all the switches rearranged in more traditional positions. 3 switches were being added so we pretty much had to change the layout anyway.
It should be a much more ergonomically functional switch layout when finished.
If you are relocating switches, I would suggest moving the PTO switch as far outboard(right) as possible. From the factory mine was in the first space closest to the arm rest and I kept hitting it with my forearm, always shutting down the PTO, moved it to the 2nd slot, still hit it with my elbow, moved it to the 3rd slot, never hit it anymore.

Allen.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
If you are relocating switches, I would suggest moving the PTO switch as far outboard(right) as possible. From the factory mine was in the first space closest to the arm rest and I kept hitting it with my forearm, always shutting down the PTO, moved it to the 2nd slot, still hit it with my elbow, moved it to the 3rd slot, never hit it anymore.

Allen.
Thanks , that’s pretty much exactly what we did .

Got the 4720 back from the shop today, she has got all here new upgrades now.
Here some pics I took Tonight of her new upgrades .

4th and 5th SCVs
Rerouted 3rd function to the front.
Added auto throttle feature.
Added the new style double step entry , borrowed part numbers from the 4066Rcab model.
Changed the entire switch layout to something a lot more uniform and user friendly.

Prior adds were the deluxe grill guard.
Power top link .
Imatch hitch .

·
Registered
62 Posts
@cc1999 thats a beautiful tractor you have, so many options! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
@cc1999 thats a beautiful tractor you have, so many options! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Yep , she is finally ready to go to work .
Got here new heavy hitch on her yesterday, and goin to be putting my big grapple on the front, and we installed my little disk experiment to the back of the heavy hitch . Going to be trying out the disk later this morning.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yep , she is finally ready to go to work .
Got here new heavy hitch on her yesterday, and goin to be putting my big grapple on the front, and we installed my little disk experiment to the back of the heavy hitch . Going to be trying out the disk later this morning.
View attachment 758239 View attachment 758240 View attachment 758241
looks like a lot of weight for that lightweight ATV disc ......good luck with that setup sir .....in our soils with some rocks that would be scrap metal after a few rounds

Reactions: Big

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
looks like a lot of weight for that lightweight ATV disc ......good luck with that setup sir .....in our soils with some rocks that would be scrap metal after a few rounds
Yep, found the weak point in about 30 min.
Tractor was fine heavy hitch was fine , the disc was actually fine. The hitch hardware we pieced together to put it on there was just to thin/ light weight . Snapped it off .

I tried to do some grapple work with the new 3rd function setup.
Seems there is a problem somewhere that won’t allow me to relieve the pressure on the system to plug into it.
Anyone familiar with the 3rd function and relieving the presure on one of these 4720s?

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Administrator
19,014 Posts
Seems there is a problem somewhere that won’t allow me to relieve the pressure on the system to plug into it.
Anyone familiar with the 3rd function and relieving the presure on one of these 4720s?
The 3rd function valve on the 3x20's have a small valve on them to relive pressure, the 4x20's may have the same?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The 3rd function valve on the 3x20's have a small valve on them to relive pressure, the 4x20's may have the same?

View attachment 758350
you have me wondering now........never had a issue hooking up with my 5 series......wonder if there is a relief on it somewhere? its a single point connector setup at the loader/tractor connection not rear like the 3s you show

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Tractor was fine heavy hitch was fine , the disc was actually fine. The hitch hardware we pieced together to put it on there was just to thin/ light weight . Snapped it off .

Anytime you are going to disconnect your hydraulics, shut the engine off, then operate all levers to relieve the pressure. This works most of the time. Then when you reconnect, follow the same procedure.

Dave

·
Registered
274 Posts
And if any of the functions are on a solenoid make sure the key is on. I had to do that with my add on 3rd function on my old 5310.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts

View attachment 758350
You are spot on again Kenny. I have to turn that little valve on my 4720 to relieve pressure on the 3rd SCV. On our 4720's it is vertical, on top of the 3rd SCV block by the left side ROPS. I just open back window, reach down to the left.and turn it counter clockwise to release pressure. You don't want to tighten it too much either way, or you'll be running for a set of pliers!!

Allen.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
you have me wondering now........never had a issue hooking up with my 5 series......wonder if there is a relief on it somewhere? its a single point connector setup at the loader/tractor connection not rear like the 3s you show
I do all those normal pressure relief processes and with the Electric controlled 3rd function on the 4066 or the 2025R, 3033R, 3039R, and 4044R you just shut the tractor down turn the key back on and toggle the thumb switch. I learned the hard way , before I had it rerouted up to the front That the 4720 is different and you have to kick the key on and toggle the 3rd scv on then toggle the thumb switch. Which none of that seems to be working to resolve the pressure issue. Also normally it is on the implement side and I can make a huge mess and pop line tip to relieve the pressure . This time it’s on the tractor side.

I will look for that relief valve Kenny and Jasper are talking about. I have mot seen anything like Kennys pic on the back. It must be hidden somewhere.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
You are spot on again Kenny. I have to turn that little valve on my 4720 to relieve pressure on the 3rd SCV. On our 4720's it is vertical, on top of the 3rd SCV block by the left side ROPS. I just open back window, reach down to the left and turn it counter clockwise to release pressure. You don't want to tighten it too much either way, or you'll be running for a set of pliers!!

Allen.
You guys were spot on, thanks again guys.
Found the relief valve, and that took care of the problem.
I turned the little valve and immediately heard the pressure release, and then was able plug every thing in, no further issues at all.
Thank you guys for all your help.
Learn something new everyday.

Reactions: ttazzman and Kennyd

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Hey cc1999. Here is a pic of the rear SCV's on my tractor, and of my switch panel. The red lighted switch is the activation switch for the diverted 4th & 5th. I went back and reread the whole thread, and see that the dealer installed the independent Electro hydraulic 4th & 5th. You are missing the diverted 4th & 5th, that after pushing the red lighted activation switch diverts the joystick from controlling the loader to controlling the 2 SCV's out back that are mounted on the right cab ROPS.

Thought it was best to post it in your thread rather than keep hijacking the other thread.
hope this clears things up for you

Allen.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Ah , thanks.
All makes sense now. Those pics were very helpful as well.
Since that’s a kit coming off The joystick controlled 1 and 2 loader Scv’s it all makes total since now.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #176

Terry at Heavy hitch is making me a much stouter piece to use to connect that disc.
Should have it here in couple weeks. Will see how well that does. No bends just one 2ft long 2" sold piece of steel with some hitch pin holes in it on both ends. The way it is attached will no longer be the week link. LOL We will be seeing what the next weakest point is soon.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #177 (Edited)
I think I finally figured it out, the Versa turf, or rather in the larger sizes is called a Galaxy Garden pro R-3 Radial

44X18-20 should be 44" tall

This tire which looks just like a Versa turf radial
These are in metric sizes. 380/70/24 looks real close its 44.9 x 15 -24
Or could go a bit smaller and still use the 20" rims.
They offer this tire in a 320/70R20 = 37.6x12.6-20

The R4s that are on it now are 16.9-L24 Which IMO is a terrible way to size a tire.
I found some specs on tires of that size and it seems that size = about 51-52" tall tire on a 24" rim.
So going with a 44" tire on a OEM 24" rim would pickup 3-4"s more clearance for the deck.
View attachment 755089
I finally got the rear tires and wheels sorted out and ordered today.

If anyone is wanting to do something a little on the custom side with tires and wheels, these guys seem to know their stuff. I worked with Tucker Tire.

We worked together to come up with a radial combo with a new 24x12" rim and new center painted Deere yellow inc. the Galaxy R3 Turf radials show here before and inc shipping for under $1400 for the pair. Really happy about that.
They pulled the spec on the tire it showed that it was actaully taller then the tire caculator I was using to convert the size. It is more like 46" tall. I think this is a pic of a 24x12 rim.
This is the style of rear wheel they will come on.

So I am having to bump up the front tire size a bit to compensate for the 46" tall rears.
Still should offer a lot more MMM deck clearance then I have now with the OEM R4s being they are 51" rear 33" front.

Which has lead me to order a pair of these Goodyear tires for the front.
Goodyear R14T 29x9.5 15s.
Looks similar to the galaxy rears. Galaxy didn't offer a front in the right height or anything in the 15" rim size I needed for the front.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Anyone know of a good ready to use or plug and play power top link for 4 series.
The one I pulled off the 4044R was an aftermarket setup my dealer had installed on it.
It's a little on the weak or light duty side, also there is a little bit of clearance issues with it's cab side hose where the 4720 is concerned. I think I accidently pinched that line on it yesterday. at least I hope that was what coated the whole back side of the tractor. There was oil everywhere, and a little bit of hydraulic oil goes a long long ways. lol I saw there that line was getting pinched so I am thinking that is likely the culprit.

My 4066R has a Deere power top link, I swear it has to be at least double the size of this aftermarket grizzly. The Deere model on my 4066R also has 90 degree fitting on it to prevent what happened on the Grizzly.

I also had been fighting that smaller one bleeding down with any real weight on the hitch. Large land plain, or heavy hitch it would get pulled out to full extension in a matter of only a few min of working with it.

I think I will fix the little grizzly and provided it fits, I will move it over to the 2025R once I get rear hydraulic scvs setup for it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Terry at Heavy hitch is making me a much stouter piece to use to connect that disc.
Should have it here in couple weeks. Will see how well that does. No bends just one 2ft long 2" sold piece of steel with some hitch pin holes in it on both ends. The way it is attached will no longer be the week link. LOL We will be seeing what the next weakest point is soon.
....yep need to keep us posted on that.....im guessing the next break point will be where the 2" solid piece ends ... 😀 🚜

as long as you keep all that weight on that frail a disc your going to break things......it needs to be able to float up to release force when the disc gets in a bind and then turning adds a whole new dimmension to the stresses ...

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
....yep need to keep us posted on that.....im guessing the next break point will be where the 2" solid piece ends ... 😀 🚜
LOL
That is funny.
I was saying this morning to buddy here at the office, that asked me how the experiment went with that disk.

I told him basically the exact same thing you said.
That the weak point was where and what I had on hand to use to piece it together to get it on the machine to test it out.

Basically the mounting hardware was not made for that sort of stress load at all. After it broke off, I could really see just how thin that metal was and felt lucky it stayed on the tractor 30 min.

I told him about what I was having made up for it, and I told him it won't break there again.
Next time the whole disk will get crushed or ripped apart or it will flip the tractor, but it won't break their again. Lol.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts